Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     
Default Great 428 CJ Article - Build Specs and Tips

Last evening, while working on my CObra bibliography I ran across an old issue of Hot Rod (in my collection) that featured the most wonderful article on how to blueprint a 428 Cobra Jet. The 5 page article was written back in September of 1975 and puts engine builder Carl Holbrook of Michigan under the microscope has he shares his technical tips and knowledge on the 428 CJ.

Carl shows how to add side bolts (427 style) to the mains resulting in a 4 bolt style cross bolted crank. Springs, rockers, sleeving, rods, arms... they are all covered. Carl's build is for drag racing engines. The article is complete with picutres of Carls Mustang "Instant Action" with front wheels up in the air. BTW Carl appears to have won Super Stock and Stock Eliminator at NHRA Divisionals.

Now I bet some of this information may be superceeded but there are some good pearls of wisdom in this 29 year old article.

I have included a shot of the cover. It is VOL 28 No 9. This issue is somewhat hard to find. Keep checking ebay, I see them come up there from time to time.

Does anyone know of other good FE build articles that I should perhaps add to my bibliography?
Attached Images

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 12-05-2004, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Very cool. My hotrod collection is long gone. Do you have the red ERA I see at marcus dairy every now and then? G.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nope just looked in your gallery and see it's blue. Nice car! G.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Hi G!
Yup, as the photos show its a blue ERA. I am right near you just up the coast aways. There are a few of us who are pretty active Cobra owners in CT and we get together for cruises. The core group is about 5 Cobras. A silver SPF with black stripes, a dark green FFR with no stripes, a dark blue with white stripe FFR, a roman red ERA with white stripes and mine. Pretty much we are from Stratford, Milford and West Haven.

If the weather today (Sunday 12/5) is tolerable a few of us may go out for a short ride. Keep in touch and private message me and we can hook up.

There are not too many FFRs with big blocks in them from what I have seen. I would like to see yours some day.

Regarding the red ERA Cobra, yes I know the owner. The compression is so high on that engine that pebbles vibrate on the ground within a 15 foot radius of the car. It is a monster machine for sure. He has to use 102+ octane fuel for that baby so his cruising range is somewhat limited.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 12-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Great Bibliography! I have a few to contribute.

Hi Art,
Nice bibliography, I hadn't seen it before. I have a few vintage articles and ford documents to contribute if you are wanting FE stuff.

Let me know, I can scan covers too.

Chuck
Old 12-05-2004, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art thanks for the offer. We are doing the Christmas tree and decorating today however and thanks for the offer. It's nice to know the guys are in the area. Keep me in mind as spring rolls around though! G.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Great Bibliography! I have a few to contribute.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckbrandt

Hi Art,
Nice bibliography, I hadn't seen it before. I have a few vintage articles and ford documents to contribute if you are wanting FE stuff.

Let me know, I can scan covers too.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, if you can message me the magazine title and issue number and date then I can look for those magazines. My bibliography list stuff that is in my collection so if I do not have it then it does not go into the bibliography.

Much Appreciated..