Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not yet!!!
Not Ranked     

hey if your leakdown is good,(by good, less than 10%) if your compression is still off, you either have a radical cam or low compression pistons set up for super-charging.Who would want to supercharge one of those engines for more power is beyond me!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     
Default Isky EE-390 Cam

HSSS,
Are you sure about the .018 lash? I run the same cam and they told me years ago to lash at .028. That would surely make your cam seem more radical and lower compression.

However, regardless of lash, I am trying to pick up some low end with mine too, and considering advancing it 4 degrees.

You dont by chance have a cam card for that cam you could scan for me, would you?

Thanks - Ross
Old 02-02-2005, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Isky Cam Specs

Here's an image of an Isky Racing Cam Spec sheet circa 1995. You can see my cam, Part # 351390 about half way down the sheet with the blue highlight. The intake and exhaust timing are on the second page. Don't have the cam card on it.

You can see in the last column it specifys .018 lash, but there are a number of other models that call for .028 and even .030

Also, following up from a prior suggestion, I did check TDC with a cylinder stop and it may have been off a couple of degrees, but not much. The tip of the pointer I've got is about 1" from the markings on belt pulley so it's certainly not an exact science.

Replaced the magnetic pick-up on the distributor and now have it set with one heavy silver spring, and one light silver spring with the black bushing, so that should give 18* mechanical advance all in by about 3000rpm. I'm going to shoot for about 20* base timing for total of 38*

Also put in a DynoRad unit that's supposed to help measure performance. Installed a new air cleaner that's a bit bigger than the standard S&H. Will post a picture later - it's aluminum oval that fits the inside shape of the turkey pan and has a Cobra emblem on the top.

Next on the list of to-dos is the carb jets and accelerator pump. The Holley TricKit came in today from Summit. Appreciate any tips on this as well.

Now if the %$*&*#*T rain will stop I'd go out and see what the result of all this is!
Cheers!
Scott

Scott
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ken (ooo7) - I didn't mean to hurt feelings - sorry. I am glad I provided the impetus that has led you to sorting your engine out. I hope you've noticed a notable difference in performance. Best wishes!

Scott - Don't down play my bite - it's really, really, really bad!

Last edited by Cracker; 02-02-2005 at 06:36 PM..
Old 02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

racker, just kidding about my hurt feelings, but it DID get me thinking and then moving to check it out.
Sad to say, it has been so wet and cold here that I haven't had much chance to cvheck it out...it sure feels stronger, just not enuff miles on it yet.
Thanks for the nudge!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Scot, thanks a bunch

BTW you look spot on with the timing. Mine turned into a downright animal when I changed from a slower timing curve to basically identical to yours. It was night and day

Good luck and talk to you soon!