Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Well spotted Sizzler ! Is that PSE base to adapt a short deck BBC manifold to a tall deck block?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Question

carnut,
Quote:
someone mentioned in an earlier post that BB Chevies have 5 bolts around each cylinder; they do, except for one cylinder on each bank, which would have to go through an intake runner in the head. They did on the all aluminum ZL-1, with a cap on top of the runner for access to the head bolt.
I thought the Zl-1 employed 2 studs in each head that go into the valley on each bank like the late Hemis employ 4 studs in each head that go into the valley on each bank. Are you sure? That's the first time I've heard of a cap on top of the runner (s) to access a head bolt (s) on the ZL-1.

Last edited by Steve R; 02-28-2005 at 02:53 AM..
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

craig,
Quote:
Well spotted Sizzler ! Is that PSE base to adapt a short deck BBC manifold to a tall deck block?
No. That base is 1/2 of a 2 part manifold system developed by Pro Stock Engieering for the FE ford. It is not intended to adapt another brand's manifold to the FE.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-28-2005 at 02:22 AM..
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Sizzler, I'm interested in that FE manifold base, how much or, does P.S.E. still make it?.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry,
As far as I know, PSE does not exist any more. I would suggest you grab that one if you feel you could use it.
Steve

Last edited by Steve R; 02-28-2005 at 03:05 AM..
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

My book "How To Hotrod Big Block Chevys" Supports the flat torque curve explanation of the unequal stacks. It says the Can Am people were the primary users. The drag racers were shooting for peak HP thus they did not use that config. Nothing is said about the cooling effects of port pairing (although I would think that is true) nothing is said about port config being dictated by head bolt config.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The staggered stack hights were definatelyto tune for the long/short intake runners of the standard BBC head. This was especially critical for individual runner intakes like the FI units shown. Many BBC single 4 and tunnel ram intakes of the day had the carb pads "twisted" in an attempt to equalize the runner lengths.
I read an interesting article in which one of the GM engineers that designed the BBC explained how the Z-11, or "mystery motor" of '63/'64 was built with equal length runners and 5 head bolts per cylinder.
To do this required more complex tooling/casting procedures and a higher rejection rate and IIRC different intake and exhaust rocker arms. The "bean counters" at GM nixed the plan and told them to design a head that cost less the produce and to use the same rocker arms on the intake and exhaust. They were able to keep the 5 head bolts but had to compromise the intake port design for cost sake.
BTW, The ZL-1 does have a head bolt that passes through the intake port. The hole is then plugged with an allen plug.
--Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Steve, I got my information from a chevy high performance book, that had a 3-5 page article, actually interview with the engineer that designed the mark IV BB, and he talked about the designed aspects, the reasons why the Mk II and MK III BB engines didn't make it into production, and then finally the MK IV, and reasons why it was designed the way it was. If I can find the article, I'll either tell you the source, or maybe send you a copy of the article.

Just from visual comparison, I can tell the volume difference caused by the difference in stack height is much greater than the volume difference between the small and larger ports in the head. In addition to the volume difference between the ports, I believe there was also, and I think more importantly a flow difference that affected VE and maybe fuel distribution, but Maybe I'll look that up, not that it makes a big deal to me.

In other words, I think the reason was for the fatter torque curve as others have stated, and not so much for the slight difference in port volume.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 03-01-2005, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

427S/O Henry send me a private e-mail for what you are loooking for. I have the info for PSE. Rick Lake
Old 03-01-2005, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve R

carnut,

I thought the Zl-1 employed 2 studs in each head that go into the valley on each bank like the late Hemis employ 4 studs in each head that go into the valley on each bank. Are you sure? That's the first time I've heard of a cap on top of the runner (s) to access a head bolt (s) on the ZL-1.
I'm sorry, Steve, my error. 2 extra head bolts are installed per side through intake ports in the heads as I described when installing symmetrical-port heads on the BB Chevy, not on the ZL 1 or any siamesed-runner BB heads. Page 49, "Big Block Chevy Performance." This gives 6 bolts around each cylinder instead of 5.

I stand behind my explanation of different length stacks on IR manifolds for the BB Chevy.
If anyone is interested in Chevies (gasp!), I suggest the Performance Related forum.http://www.chevytalk.org
Old 03-08-2005, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Carnut,
Copy that. 6 bolts instead of 5. I think if someone put all of us together, we would make about 1/2 a Chevy guy.
Steve