Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Carroll Shelby Ent.

I was just told that Carroll Shelby Ent. has hired a new salesman for the engine dept. And will be selling All F E parts, blocks,heads cranks etc. And will be building complete Engines Or short blocks
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now wait a minute, they just closed down the engine assembly "plant" to avoid the legal issues of a manufacturer building cars AND motors. Last I heard they were ONLY going to sell engine parts now????

...typical Shelby scene, you never know who's on first for sure!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

..mod note.. Moved to FE Talk Forum
Old 03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Engine shop was never shut down,it is suppling blocks to most of the Engine builders. There was a backorder situation last month but the blocks are available now. All you have to do is call Ed at 310 5382914 .As far as the Engine company there was never a legal issue.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Chris, the "engine builder par excellance" that used to work there was laid off when they stopped building motors because of the potential "legal" issues that could arise. At that time they were concerned about how the busines was being run or was licensed or something like that and thus, the POTENTIAL for "legal issues". Well, that was the word we got from an inside source anyway! There were no plans to stop prodcution of "parts".

I wonder what has changed now? Perhaps the way the company markets the end product? Like selling the engines to or through "third parties" rather than from "engine factory" directly to "car assembly" factory.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The word you got from an inside source must not have been even close to the inside or he would have seen that< Chris engine builder par excellence> never touched any part of any Engine that was built at Shelby Ent. He was a salesman only. My inside source says.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi
I'm Ed the new salesman at Carroll Shelby Enterprises. I'm here to help if I can. My email is eschiff@carrollshelbyent.com If I don't know an answer I'll get it. 310-538-2914 x 26
We are not closed, it is business as usual. Our engine builder Mike said Chris was a salesman only. He doesn't know where the mechanic, engine builder stuff came from.

I spoke to Carroll Shelby, John Luft and a few other folks here and there is no legal problem surrounding our engines. Sounds like someone is trying to muddy the waters. I invite any Club member to give me a call and I'll set up a tour of our facility and if Carroll is here I'll introduce you. We have expanded our machine shop area and we are workin with Ford on some projects.
Life here just keeps on getting better and better.

I look forward to meeting you folks.

Ed Schiff, Sales Manager
Old 03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Characterizing Chris as merely a salesman is really missing the boat, but hey, that was then this is now! His background is quite amazing.

Not at all being disrepectful, but just trying to understand what really happened around there then and now....

Based on your lack of knowledge concerning Chris' background I assume you are equally in the dark concerning the legal ramifications that could have complicated or may complicate Shelby doing complete engines?

For instance, if Shelby builds the car and the motor and puts the two together as a complete "turn key" car, it won't be legal in Calf under any circumstances. And most likely not legal in ANY State. I know some builders are doing "turn keys", in my opionion their days are numbered!

A new Shelby (Cobra) turn key from Shelby could never be licensed in Calfi under any existing law. So I assume the engine division is selling only to "other than" direct Shelby entities?

I did have to chuckle at the Muddy Waters comment. I am BIG Shelby fan and supporter, but "muddy water" has been and continues to be the very essence of Shelby as a buisnessman. Hey, thats meant in good fun, not being mean (just "real").

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-04-2005 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
Could you tell us who you confirmed your information with? I am referring to you posting that these gentlemen are mistaken regarding Chris' former position. Or you at least seem to be implying that they don't know what they are talking about.

You go on to lecture them on CA law. Did you confirm that they are new to the field and in need of an education from someone out of state who is not in the business?

Just wondering.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, no lecture, simple question:
Will Shelby, with Shelby engines, be producing "turn key" cars? Will these cars be marketed in Calif?

Chris was indeed a salesman, I think it is mis-leading to charaterize him as simply as that imply's. But like I said, whatever, that was then this is now.

Curious current engine plant employees wouldn't know of Chris, his background, connections with Ford, etc. Which does seem to be the case! Then I have to wonder, "what else" is missing with this picture?

No blame, no argument, but supposed "facts" are in conflict, with BOTH sources coming from Shelby employees. "Muddy water" at best, and yes, I am implying that the current information is "suspect"!

Some months ago there was a lot of "talk", about the Shelby Engine Facility "shutting down". They were going to "stop assembling motors" due to "legal issues" concerning their position on assembling cars. So what really happened?

If that information at that time was "bunk", what does that do to the credibility of the current information? Shelby is a public company, a BIG player in the replica industry, what happens there affects all of us who own replicas.

I should know better than to ask what's happening at any Shelby facility, it's a loaded question with no easy answer at best!

I wish the new players good luck and good fortune! A "turn key" car from ANY manufacturer could in fact be registered in Hawaii, at the present time. Can't say the same for Calif, (would be my guess).

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-04-2005 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-04-2005, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by parhen4
The Engine shop was never shut down,it is suppling blocks to most of the Engine builders. There was a backorder situation last month but the blocks are available now. All you have to do is call Ed at 310 5382914
Quote:
Originally posted by Magic Ed
Hi
We are not closed, it is business as usual. Our engine builder Mike said Chris was a salesman only. He doesn't know where the mechanic, engine builder stuff came from.

Parhen4 has no profile, came out of nowhere shilling CSE Gardena and the new guy, and his/her first post is in defense of Shelby? Uh, ok!

And the department was never closed?

Boy, you guys are something else!

As of early December, CSE pulled the plug and wasn't going to be doing engines or parts - as some of you were told by the receptionist when you called - and SAI was supposed to be doing the engine stuff exclusively. CSE was going to produce blocks for SAI, and nothing more.

I was at Shelby yesterday picking up some tires (non-Goodyear, LOL) I had left there. I saw some engine parts and asked what happened to them closing up. They told me SAI couldn't pay their bills, so here we are, CSE is open for business again after a month and a half of SAI taking the helm. I hope no-one takes that as an inflammatory comment, as A) I am just repeating what was told, and B) it's no secret SAI has been having huge financial problems for a long time.

Regarding legality issues, if you live in certain states and purchase both your car and your engine from Shelby in Las Vegas, Shelby will be in violation of Federal Law and you will be in violation of State Law. Check it out for yourself with the government. I repeat, the government, not with an individual, not with a company, and not with Shelby.

I wish Ed, CSE, SAI, and their customers the best.

The end. You can resume your normal programming now, hopefully leaving me out of it.

I don't lurk here, so if you want to reach me, you will need to email me.

-Chris

P.S., Hi Ernie, Hi Crilly.

Last edited by VitaminC; 03-04-2005 at 08:55 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chris...nice the hear from you again....
They're shipping blocks that's for sure...
My Best to you Chris....
George
These were delivered this week....

Old 03-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking good George!

...now if you just get an oil pan or two...

Old 03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie....you want two now?

kidding!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Hey Geeorge,,
I ust want the box mine came in for the wall,,lol take care,,Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am starting to think that Mr. Shelby might have ADD. It seems that he works on getting a project started and then he moves on to the next project (like a thief in the night...). There is no reason at all that Mr. Shelby's company isn't making mass money, the entire world knows about the Shelby name. Just look at Ford for example, I guarantee you that Mr. Shelby and his company had very little to do with the new Ford GR-1. Ford knows how to use the Shelby name to make money, Shelby knows how to make people afraid they are going to lose their money. We hear the same "gossip" about one of Mr. Shelby's projects going down and then out of the blue another person appears running the business saying all is well.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't characterize Shelby as a "thief in the night", perhaps he is more like "Johny Apple Seed"? He starts up new projects (plant a tree) nurture it some, and then move on. It's up to the "locals" to make a go of it, some do, some don't.

Not all "franchies" (fro instance) make it a go of it, doesn't mean the basic business plan is bad. When you connect yourself with a business, like many have done under the Shelby banner, it's up to the local business man to make it work. The Shelby name is a powerful marketing tool and "buys" you instant recognition. As a business man, can you handle it?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby Ent

I just got off the phone with Ed Schiff from Shelby. He is not only a real people person but, someone who is committed to making their engine parts business run like a well oiled watch.
Look forward to good stuff and well handled customer support out of Gardena.
PS...my parts are on the way

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I would like to say that I had working relationship with Chris when he was at Shelby Int. and I now have a good working relationship with the guys there now. I have found that if you do what you say you will do and pay your bills you can get a lot done. We continue to stock a lot of the Shelby parts as well as billet cranks and other nice FE parts. We have been supported very well by Shelby and the Cobra community. I hope things keep going well for everyboby and their projects. Good Luck, Keith Craft
Old 03-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well said Keith...Chris took good care of many of us....and Gardena continues to do this.....
George