Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default TWM FI for 427 FE???

Anyone have any info on the TWM FI units for the 427 FE? What heads they fit, how streetable are they? Lotta money , just wanna make sure. Michael
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TWM EFI

Mike

Will fit MR and LR heads only. Will not fit TP and HR heads
Old 03-14-2005, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm building a 504ci all aluminum FE with Keith Craft stage 3 CNC heads and the 58mm TWM set up. So far everything is fitting together well but I have the manifold dissassembled at this time to port it to match the heads.
I'll post photos as it comes along
I also started building a tunnel port manifold for the 58mm throttle bodies but it is far from finished. As usual, my own personal stuff gets put on the back burner.
--Mike
Old 03-14-2005, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

Mike, I have that setup on an aluminum 496" 427. It's great. Al
Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Al:
I'm looking at both the TWM and the VeryCoolParts EFI setups.
Can you provide any deatails on yours:
Overall satisfaction
Installation procedure
Which controller you're using
Plumbing
Cost
I'd be very interested.
DonC
Old 03-14-2005, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Do you need to run a specific cam with the TWM set-up like you do with Webers?

I'm no expert.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

Retail for the TWM injection is around $4,200.00. We used a FAST computer (2,400.00) -10 braided stainless to two -8 BS feeds and -8 BS return (lines about 500.00). I installed a 14 cubic inch vacuum resevoir between the TWM resevoir and the MAP sensor to smooth out the vacuum pulse and make it more readable by the MAP sensor. We chose the cam based on the injection as well as CU. IN., head flow, end hp/ torque needs, etc. I believe that no matter the cam grind, the injection will work better than carburation due to the computer. It's the best of 2 worlds, the look of Webers, and the performance and reliability of EFI.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

thorconstr, I couldn't agree with you more!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thorconstr What size are thwe throttle plates in the TWM's. I know the openings are 58mm but look like the boring is down sized. I know of one person running 58 Olbergs but the base and the intake have very little sealing area due to the size of the plate when fully opened. I am looking at the same. What cam are you running. I have a set of KCR stage 3 heads I just got without valves and springs. Thanks Al. Rick Lake
Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The TWMs are 58mm top to bottom flowing a total of 4408cfm
Old 03-27-2005, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Can anyone tell me what if any differences there are in trying to get a smog check passed with this set up over a carburated engine? Kalifornia Blues!!!
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, Shelby Alum 427, Dove heads
Not Ranked     

I have a Shelby Aluminum block with Dove heads and a Dove tunnel ram with two 450’s. I have been thinking of converting to a TWM setup for some time now but it is a big investment. I would like to ask a couple of questions if I may.
1) Will gas mileage be better or worse? Currently I get about 7 per.
2) Is there much of a difference between sequential and bank systems on the street?
3) Is the overall height greater or less than a medium riser with stelling air cleaners?
4) Distributor or crank trigger?

Thanks Ed White
Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

edwhite7, this is what I have found:

1) Better. More efficient! Exhaust will be quiter also.
2)Can't tell ya
3)About the same
4) CRANK TRIGGER! (see my gallery)

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2005, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

edwhite7 Ed the FI system will get better milage and more power in the middle range when setup right. Overall drivibility will improve. It should just fit under a contempory hood with the short stacks. Depending on the system you will need a cam signal for the ECU to know when #1 cylinder is firing and a crank signal. I have a FAST ECU with each cylinder controlling spark and fuel. This makes each hole even as possible for power. I was told this system goes to batch fire over 3500 rpm because there is no advantage at this engine speed. For the cam signal you can use a MSD distributor and lock out the advance plate in the bottom for timing and remove all the pin wheels but 1 to MATCH the #1 cylinder for firing. Gessford Machine make a cam sensor for this if you are using a multicoil system. Crank trigger speaks for itself. George also makes a bolt on for the same setup. I built my own brackets from the MSD brackets to work on an FE. Sequential system was about 1,500.00$ more on the FAST system 6 years ago. Have had no problems with the system. You will need a laptop to program this. Others have small pads that do the same thing. You will need an O2 sensor in the side pipe, about 6" after the collector on one side. Fuel system will need good supply lines I run 2, 1/2" feeds and a 3/8" return. I am running a blower motor also and have 2 255 fuel pumps in the tank. You will need 1 supply line and a good electric fuel pump to maintain 45 psi under WOT. Good luck with the change over, it's worth it in the long run. My next motor is a 489 or 496 with 58mm on top. Rick Lake
Old 04-26-2005, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, Shelby Alum 427, Dove heads
Not Ranked     

Slither and Rick Lake, thanks very much for the reply and information. One more question if I could. All things considered, money, time, setup etc. If you had a running dual quad cobra, would you convert to FI? Is the benefit worth all the conversion trouble? I am really on the fence with this one. I have been driving my car for about 15 years and am looking for something to do but I also like it the way it is. It is like a painting, I am wondering if it is done or if it could be improved.
Thanks
Ed White.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum SPF #SPA0001 ,round tube frame, with a shelby 484 CID AL engine,68 GT 500 KR , 4 spd with factory air
Not Ranked     

There is another manufacturer you should also look at, the company is Imagine Fuel Injection in Arizona. As I write this ,Eric @ Performance Engineering is doing the final tuning on my car. Unlike webers you can use almost any cam you want, I have a .605 lift @248 , and even as they were tuning I could here the difference in the car. I happen to like the looks of the Imagine system over the others, these are made from billet Al vs cast .The one thing you should know up front is that to tune these they should be done on a dyno, I will keep you posted as to what gains were made when we are done.

Tout
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed, first of all. I know that the look of the dual quads is pretty impressive. No doubt. The effecincy of dual quads leaves a little doubt as to most power for your application. I wanted dual quads on my motor in the beginning too, but they lost power to a large single 4 barrel. When I decided to go to the TWM's, I was told that I may not gain a lot of extra horsepower, but the torque would increase, which it did. My motor was also detuned for the tWM's because of the violent torque curve when shifting in to third gear. The track that I run my car on is dependent on third gear use at critical times. To me, the car is much more responsive, a little quieter at idle and seems much faster. In fact, we had to change the rear end gears to 3:31's from the 3:55's! And the look of the TWM's is second to NONE! We went with the crank trigger setup which is without a doubt the way to go.