Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What was the original bore and stroke of the 427 in the Cobra?

What was the original bore and stroke of the 427 in the Cobra?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I drive and test my customers
Not Ranked     

I think it was around 4.133. Some of the builders would go .017 overbore and run a 4.250 bore, as best I can remember. Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

3.78 stroke w/ a 4.23 bore.....was stock.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The original Ford book I have lists it as 4.233, my block is .017 over bore, a typical size. 4.250 results. .017 is SO standard you can buy "standard oversize" pistons in a 4.250 size.

But those "stock" oversize pistons may not work just because the "bore" is correct. The "compression height" (piston pin location) also has to be compatible with the engine block deck height. And LOTS of blocks HAVE been decked over the years!

Mine was, so I was forced to order custom pistons for my "stock" .017 over bore to get the right piston height at TDC.

Stroke was the same for 390, 391 Truck, 406 and 427 at 3.78"

410 and 428 went to 3.98"
Old 03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Blocks varied. They were color coded accordingly for easy identification. The most typical side oilers selected for racing aside from being square and dimensionally correct were 4.2325". Many "standard" blocks were 4.233-4.235"

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting point Michael. The piston to bore clearance spec was .007, which is a lot, generally speaking. My new custom pistons are spec'd at .0035, for instance.

I'm betting that back in the day they still used the same "basic size" piston for the same "basic bore", thus piston clearance could have varied per motor by several thousandths? It's possible!

Perhaps THAT is why some motors just naturally seem to run stronger than others, even true today. Some spec race divisions demand "exact" factory specs for the motors. I've heard rumors that some teams "with connections" go through a ton of new "parts" searching for the "perfect" valve, or piston or head or whatever. No machineing allowed, so you go through the "bin" and find those perfect parts to "blue print" your motor.

Reminds of a Darryl Waltrip comment years ago. He (or his team members) would hang out by the Goodyear truck that brought the tires in. There they would carefully go through them and pick out those "perfect" tires. This gave them a measurable advantage on the track and other teams knew those boys "were up to something", but cound not figure out WHAT! When it was discovered, NASCAR stopped that and tire distribution was closely watched!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Where would one find an original 427 block?

I noticed that the Genesis 427 crate motor is actually a 468.

The orginal 427 was 425-426, right?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk is selling one - check with Gessford Machine.

( I apologize if this "answer" is too "succinct" and I didn't start telling you about "my" block and pistons.... )

Pat
Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I have a rare 427 FE block for sale...

It is a "de-bored" block with the reduced bore size of 4.050"
This was done to fit into certain "class" racing 6.5 litre engine sizes.
It is the extremely rare lightened "race block" that eliminated the heavy cross bolt mains, extra overly heavy side oiler oil passages, and the very heavy screw in freeze plugs.
This block took 15 lbs. off the front end making handling much better.
Also, to throw off the competition, nowhere on this block does it say, "427"
Many racers just assume it is a standard 390 block,
little do they know...
I also have the matching rare, lightweight cast iron crankshaft.
The cast iron "racing" crank is 17 lbs lighter than the heavy forged steel standard 427 crank.
I can make a package deal, but it won't be cheap

Gee, this sounds like every e-bay ad I read
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Funny Mike...how much do you want for it?

Dip**** - how come you have to tell everyone about your stuff all the time? Who cares about you? BTW - I got $5 that says your attempt at an engine build doesn't make it a hundred miles - that is assuming your trans works....
Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Phuck you Pat, plain, simple and to the point.

If you got a personal problem (obviously more than one you short $hit) take it off line. Or will this be yet ANOTHER thread Ron will have to close because of an a$$hole gashole?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Right...take it off line and settle this, will ya?
Closed Thread