Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: dax x 2 one sbf one bbf
Send a message via AIM to pictus
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Hello um help baby FE

Hello people i am new here and come in peace
i have a 360 FE i would like to rebuild it and it is going into my cobra replica with a big block toploader i am new to this V8 rebuilding stuff can any one recomend what i do with the engine apart from stroke it i want to keep the low ci but make the engine as light as possible can any one recomend a dealer that sell FE parts the list of bits im thinking of are

ali cylinder heads
ali inlet manifold
ali water pump
gasket set top and bottom
core/freeze plugs
big end and main bearing caps
cam shaft and lifters roller if possible??
roller tipped rockers
and a carburettor

thank you all

Warren
Old 04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Its red (or Blue) with a 427 and completely fictional.
Not Ranked     

Warren, you can get most of the things you listed from Jegs, Summit, ect.

9-11 Never Forget

Fear starts with FE
Old 04-12-2005, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

How do you want the engine to behave? All torque....or high revving, high horsepower?

If you stroke it, especially with such a small bore, you're probably gonna get a lower revving torquey engine.....

Likewise, if you go with a shorter stroke, you're gonna get a peakier higher revving engine.

Either way, your best bet would be a good set of heads....I guess Edelbrock if you're wanting to go aluminum, a good intake, and a good cam to match.

I'd really like to see how this combo behaves.....you don't see very many of them.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Welcome,

The 360 is a wonderful engine and probably the least expensive to build. As you know it is limited in it's ability to make big horse power as the bore size limits your intake and exhaust valve choices.

That being the case a roller cam is really of limited value. A good hydraulic unit will serve you well. Flat tappet grinds are available if you really want to adjust them or feel the oil pressure used to feed the hydraulic units is better else where.

Hot Rod Magazine built a 390 last year which made 450 horsepower with a hydraulic cam. The article is linked here in the forums. Search Hot Rod 390.

The article included part numbers and parts sources.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies guys
firstly im not after a big powerful engine at 5.9litres it is big enough for now
the engine cost me £300 which is very cheap for an engine out here it is also complete with a truck gearbox too
i was hoping i could buy the edelbrock ali heads inlet and water pump and then later on maybe look at a stroker motor or a different block maybe a 390 and id be able to swap the bits to the newer block
but for now i am after a low revving torque engine i am fitting like i said a big block toploader and a 2:88 jag power loc to give me a better top end.............i hope
my other car has the same but with a small block
once again thanks for the replies oh can any one suggest a good cam profile or would i be better off asking who i get it from i did want to get all the bits from one place to help with the shipping cost

Warren

ps ill try summit and jegs
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

http://www.hotrod.com/webonly_january/

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-13-2005, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Warren, FWIW the 360 amd 390 blocks are the same at 4.05 std bore. So if you choose to look for a 390 block at some point .....you already have one. G.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Get you one of the new Scat 4.125 cranks and stroke it up to about 433 C.I. with a 4.080 bore. If trying to stay inexpensive just get you a 390 crank and use it with the block and build a 390C.I. Go with Edelbrock heads and the Edelbrock Perfromaer RPM intake. This will make you nice little engine. Good luck, Keith
Old 04-13-2005, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

im leaning toward the 390 idea thanks for your help guys
how can i prepare the block for rebuild like what do i need to do to it like opening any holes closing any other ones any strees risers i should know about thank for the replies guys

Warren
Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Block Prep

I've done something similar, making a 390 out of a 352 block. You'll need 390 (or stroker) crank and rods. The main reason to go to 390 is you have a much better selection of pistons than you would for the 360.

I had my block done at Gessford Machine and they did a few things to it. They deburred the block which included grinding down all the sharp casting edges. They opened up and smoothed the oil pump output hole. They alignhoned the mains, I think mainly because I forgot to stamp numbers on the main caps before I disassembled it. They also aligned the main oil galleries to the bearings (see picture below). On mine they bored it to standard bore 390 (4.05) to match my new pistons.

Anyway, more on my engine build is on my website at http://www.chuckbrandt.com/enginebuild.htm

Chuck

Last edited by chuckbrandt; 04-14-2005 at 02:08 AM..
Old 04-14-2005, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

lovely picture of your engine ive asked gessford to get me prices as they seem to know what they are doing ill get everything from them

Warren
Old 07-23-2005, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

ok well it has been a few months and im still looking at a ford 360 with cast heads and inlet manifold does anyone have some bits off of an fe that are surpluss to requirement im after a performer 390 inlet manifold as it is the lowest and i cant fit a hight inlet to my engine as the filter will be sticking out of the hood trust me guys they dont make them out here like you guys do the fact im fitting a ford is bad enough fitting an fe is a sin out here the fact it is not a chevy is frowned upon these brits are a bit backwards well some are so any help getting bits would be apreciated ill let you guy correct my spelling too as it is 05:23 in the monring here ill use that as my excuse for bad spelling thank you once again in advace for you help

oh yeah it is a 360 still and i have made a u turn any ideas on a bigger crankshaft??? you guys are right 360 just isnt enough i have to do something to show them chevy boys the way

Last edited by pictus; 07-23-2005 at 09:24 PM..
Old 07-23-2005, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

oh yeah i did not goto gessford well not yet i want to get the car working with an fe then ill get gessford to sort out an engine but i cant spare $13k (£7k) to get and engine id like to point out that this does not include shipping or a block so ill wait till i have proper funds and ill be asking them for a motor then
Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

pictus, yeah shipping charges will cost an arm and a leg. Here in Hawaii it's the same for me, I try like heck to get anything I need locally if at all possible.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Pictus, sent you a pm about a 390 crank I have here. Also maybe someone here can help with a good set of rods. That will get you started on the bottom end anyway. G.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i did think about the shipping costs but getting stuff for an fe out here is like well you cant it is not a chevy so people dont want to know even the ford guys dont know why im going for an fe things like it is heavy and the engine has to make enouhg power just to turn the crank some one even said it was an ugly engine i love the fe i think it looks great when it is put together with pent roof valve covers and the cobra oval inlet manifold
so anyway if i want to get parts for the engine ill have to go state side
mind you some people are hesitent to send out side the us i have seen a lot of inlet manifolds on ebay and they are very cheap like around $100 but they will not ship out side of the us so any help will be greatly recieved thanks for the pm ffr428