Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default FE timing cover seal leak, STILL !

Hey guys, I'm loosing my mind. I still......can't get my timing cover seal from leaking ! This is the second time I've asked this question & just can't seem to stop it from leaking. This is twice now that I've had it leak. Why Ford does not have alignment dowels, I don't have a clue ? If I make the cover to the block flush so it seal there, the seal is tight against the top of the crank...no good. If I raise the cover so the seal looks, centered, I'm concerned with a leak at the oil pan. How can I get it centered, then tighten the cover bolts with out it slipping ?
I'm tired dealing with this seal leak. On an "FE" it's a lot of work to get to the seal, un-like a Chevy.
Any suggestions ????
Old 04-03-2005, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Maybe your timing cover is warped. I have never had a leak there and I have built and owned 3 428's and now a 427.

I use the black silicone sealer and I put the sealer on the timing cover then put a few bolts through to align the gasket then I place the gasket on the cover and I wait maybe an hour before I attach the cover to the engine with more silicone. I assume your probably leaking at the oil pan area so use the silicone on the bottom of your timing cover too.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-03-2005, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Kevin

Sometimes the collar on the crank between the Harmonic Dampner and the seal will crack and this will damage the seal......

Then you keep replacing the seal and it stills leaks....

Had this happen on a friends motor....
Old 04-03-2005, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

HI
Ford recommends an aligning tool (T61P-6019-B) from their dealers.
Cost....? But I might find out. Getting ready to install cover on my FE.
Wish someone had one that the CobraClub could share.
Dave
elgecko
Old 04-03-2005, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I Wish, Just an old truck with an FE
Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Not Ranked     

Just use the crank spacer as an alignment tool.

Also if the spacer is grooved from the old seal, you need to install a seal saver. It is a very thin sleeve that gives the seal a smooth surface to run on.

Pioneer makes one PIO-HB-3124.
2002 Honda RC51
323i.net
RangerXLT.com
The Forums@323i.net
Old 04-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Timley thread, I was just getting ready to bolt on my cover. I'll check it "twice" and use the spacer to check for good alignment.

...almost there...
Old 04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I Wish, Just an old truck with an FE
Send a message via AIM to DuckRyder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Timley thread, I was just getting ready to bolt on my cover. I'll check it "twice" and use the spacer to check for good alignment.

...almost there...
Make sure you locktite the cam bolt and remeber it, other wise you'll have this nagging feeling you forgot to do it and have to pull the cover again and run around at 3:00 on Sat afternoon to find a parts store with a Gasket in stock.

Or so I hear.....
2002 Honda RC51
323i.net
RangerXLT.com
The Forums@323i.net
Old 04-03-2005, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I always just use the original sleeve that goes behind the balancer, to align the front cover. I just lube the area where the seal rides, install the sleeve into the cover, make sure that the bottom of the cover is pretty much flush with the block, & snug down the bolts. Also, are you certain that the seal itself it installed correctly? The seals flat side goes inside the cover, facing the rad. This means that the open end faces the timing gear. Also, when installing the seal, don`t try to hammer it in in 1 heavy hammer blow. Not only could you distort the seals metal flange, you could also knock the seals garter spring out, either which ccould cause an oil leak. Are you certain the cover is where the leak is? Other possible leaks near the front could originate from the fuel pump, oil filter adapter, or dipstick tube. If you are not using the usual dipstick hole behind the oil filter adapter, make sure that the hole is plugged. Ford used a small soft plug to seal this hole on non front sump applications. I`ve been building and racing FE`s for almost 30 years, the front cover/seal area is one of the few places I have NOT experianced oil leaks from!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Funfer2/Kevin.

I had the same problem, and I'm not saying its related in your case, but..... Drove me freakin nuts for at least a week pulling that thing on/off trying to figure it out. My oil was fresh and clear..., and I had a polished timing cover and could not see it with my own bare eyes as much as I looked at it over and over. I'd shut off the car and drip, drip, drip. It was right in front of me. On the last look, started the car, and put my face in there just watching with the car running for 10 minutes looking for that leak, then wallah!

Guess what it turned out to be? I couldn't believe even when I found it.

Intake manifold, direct center, just under the water hose dripping down where I could not see it. Dripping underneath there right on the top of the timing cover, then over and down the side fanning down. Not until I started repeatedly cleaning off and wiping down the area over and over with the engine running and warm could I see it.

Just something else to check.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sorry to leave you guys hanging. I'll write tomorrow(Tue.). VERY BUSY !
Kev
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave- quick question's. I looked up the part # and could not find the part. What does it look like, how's it work, where can you get it & what's the cost ?
Thanks,
kev
Old 04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

NAPA or simular ahould have it. I't s just a thin metal sleeve that slips over the spacer. They are cheap...like less than $5. Ask for a crankshaft repair sleeve. G.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

I think I got screwed!!!!
I went to NAPA store this morning and picked up crankshaft repair sleeve for spacer. Part # 99187 WOW !!!!!!! COST $23.76 !!!!!!!!
All it was is a thin sleeve and a cap to help to install sleeve onto spacer.
I wish I could have found one for less than $5.00.
Kev, ,,,, I saw the factory tool mentioned in a FORD PERFORMANCE book.
The article was probably old so the factory # is nill. It looked just like the factory spacer that we have. So ............
Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok guys, I'll just winging it . I just put it back together and centered the seal & timing cover on the crank as best I could. That's what Gessford, Keith Kraft and others say they do. If it doesn't seal this time I think I'll just use frickin...... LIQUID NAILS ! hehe!

Dave- I called a local Ford dealer, the cost is $80 but, I don't know what it looks like & if it really works anyway ? Last year, I think.....I bought the "sleeve" for under $10.00

Rory428- Even last year I bought the sleeve & it's still smooth with no grooves so, I'm using it again. I'm certain the timing cover seal was the problem but, there could have been other leaks. Sometimes it's hard to tell because when your driving, it blows everywhere ! The timing cover bolts were, a little loose also. I even talked to a FE builder that said after many hours of searching, his Canton oil pan had a small hole in the front. He Said "I was about to fall a sleep under the car when I noticed a slow drip on it, wiped it off & more drips followed, I never thought it could be a hole in the oil pan" !!! I will fill my Canton pan with water & watch for any leaks. It's worth a try. I chucked the dip stick & tube in the trash & bought a "Lokar". The braided tube was to short for where I wanted to mount it. I went to "Speedway Motors" (local racing store) and bought 2' of braided line. Then I went to a friends house & he has three Eagle Vision cars. The dip stick is like piano wire so it is a lot more flexible than the stainless supplied with the Lokar. The handle has a set-screw, took it out, taped the tube into the block at the stock location, and cut the new braided line to length. On the front of the heads, there's two unused holes ( for accessories I'm not using on that side) I installed the dipstick tube bracket from Lokar and it works great ! Very.....easy to get to being on the front of the head. A lot better than the stock Ford location. After I run the engine & let it sit for a while, I'll check the level then cut the top of the stick to length and put the knob back on. It should.....work perfect, even using the level marks on the Eagle Visions stick. I'll see how it comes out. It's funny, my wifes car is also a Vision, I told her I just used her dipstick to make one for the cobra, she said...."Bull@hit,..... put it back in" !!!! hehe!
I just had to rattle her cage a bit.

Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough for the advice & information & all the replies. You guys & clubcobra, are the best !
I'll just hope it all works.

Thanks,
Kev
Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

I have a very minor leak that leaves about a dime size puddle every time I park it. I recently bought some of that glowing stuff you add to the oil along with a special blue light to detect the leak. I haven't tried it yet but I hope it'll help me pinpoint where the leak is coming from.

Chris
Old 04-05-2005, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Chris, a buddy of mine mentioned using that. I should get the motor running Sunday (if were not too tired from sprint racing Sat.) if all goes well. It sure looks like we have the seal & timming cover centered....hopefully !
Good to hear from you !
Thanks,
Kev
Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

One word. Silicone.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've got an idea! When you get it going, drive three hours to the south & we'll stick it on a lift & let it run while we drink wine & wait for leaks. (!!!)
Old 04-06-2005, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

If you get it back together and still have a lead and decide to buy the glow stuff, let me know. I'll look up where I bought the stuff. I thought I got a great deal. The glow stuff is relatively cheap but the special light is expensive. The cheapy lights are about $25 but if you read the specs, they have to be within a couple inches of the leak. Not practical in my opinion. I found a light that's supposed to be good from 3 feet away. Everywhere I looked it was priced at about $80. I found it on one particular website for about $30. I expect it to do a good job helping me find the leak but I won't have time to try it for a couple more weeks.

I hope you got your leak fixed and don't need it.

Chris
Old 04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I don't know how good of a job it would do ? But if it still leaks, I'll be knocking on your door. Do you have any idea where your leaking pal ?