Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Very nice and glad to hear it's a SCAT. You nevr know sometimes.
G.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - 427
Not Ranked     

Be sure to clean all the paint from the transmision pilot hole bore in the Lakewood bellhousing before you start indicating that in, there can be .005/.010 of paint in there!
Old 07-24-2005, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

C6ae,
I have been warned of that as well as reaming out the mounting and dowel holes. I can see how this would be an issue if not done.

--Mike
Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - 427
Not Ranked     

Mike, I have done a few of the Lakewood alignments and do not agree with adjusting the engine to fit the bell housing. (The offset dowel method)
I think the bell housing should fit the engine. Welding is not permissible in some applications so the welded washer method is also out.
Here is how I do it…
The adjustment needed is usually not much, .004 or .005 and I use a gun-smithing technique. If you peen the side of the hole for the dowel on the bell housing against an anvil (can be any heavy metal piece), it will move away from the peening. A few good whacks with a hammer will achieve this. Then by filing with a rattail or chainsaw file on the opposite side of the hole you can move the bell housing to suit. After a little trial you can move it all over the place. It is no big deal to get it all within .001 of center. No parts required, no waiting, and the engine dowels are still where they belong if you want to go to a different bell housing.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

c6ae's method does the same thing as the offset dowels; while he may have done this a number of times so that it's second nature to him, for most of us the offset dowels are much easier. The last Lakewood I aligned needed the .014 offset dowels, although this was on a Genesis block, which may be further off than the originals.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
I will let you know which way I want to go after I get under the Cobra again. It will probably depend on how far off the reading is. I will admit Carnut427 is correct. I don't know if I have the skill to peen the hole correctly and I don't want to bash the surface incorrectly. Although on the flip side, if done correctly this would save time and money compaired to the off-set dowels. My machinist friend says to align the housing a pass a reamer throught the bellhousing into the dowel hole. This would remove any off-set depending on the over-size. The dowel size will be increased, but alignment will be dead on. The local hardware store carries the over-sized dowels, so that would work too. Hard to say at the moment, I'm just getting into the reaming and threading of the oil galley holes. Why does my head hurt

--Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Latest: No More Leak!!!!!!!
Well, we went ahead and reamed two of the four oil galley holes and then tapped them for pipe plugs. One of the soft plugs (The leaker) came out very easy and it looks as if it cocked in the bore during the original install. Here is a couple words of advice if you do this operation. These ideas were gathered here and from my friend Pat the machinist.

1. Place a small piece of cloth in the bore deep enough so you can retrieve it, but not shallow enough so you will catch it with the reamer.

2. The reamer bored a nice clean hole and the chips were very fine. I first used a shop vac to get the major chips out and then on my friends advice I use a pen magnet to get all of the rest of the dust out.

3. Turn the oil pump manually via the distributor hole to force out oil and possibly any missed chips (Same procedure used with reamer chips) after tapping.

4. Take your time with the tap. We managed to get a really nice set of threads and the brass plugs sealed great. I used copper RTV as a thread sealer just in case.

We did not do the rest of the plugs because the second soft plug I pulled seemed to be set in the correct way. After inspection of the other two we decided that they looked good and we should not tempt fate. I ran the engine to operating temp and rev'd it up a few times. She is pushing 80lbs at WOT, No leak!. Well Thursday night we start the Lakewood intall. I'll let you know what happens.

--Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Mike, Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are doing everything the right way. Cant wait to hear "its done"
Later, Byron
Old 08-04-2005, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,
How is the Lakewood install coming? If you have already posted, I missed it , sorry.
Byron
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Byron,
Well the Lakewood is a real PITA. I've measured many times and I know I'm out at least .030 total. Thats .015 per side and .010 out of spec. The hole itself is actually oblong by .003 top to bottom measured with a good set of verneers. I do not understand why they can't do a better job with the manufacture of these things. Anyway, I'm out of time. The Glen is coming up on the 22nd and 23rd of this month and I have a huge list of things to do to prep, so the Lakewood will have to wait. I'm going back to the stock housing for this run and I will switch out the dowels and housing this winter. At least the leaks are stopped.

I will get more video this time at the Glen and upload it when I get back.

--Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,
Sounds like a plan. I too, can't understand why they can't make those things better with more quality control. Looking forward to the video and hearing you engine. I am sure that I am going to use the same cam in my .060 390. Also, I just purchased a finished NAF car with a 351 C, 4-speed with 3.70's and a detroit locker. Bought the car reasonable. Doing a few minor things and should have it on the road tomorrow, Good Lord Willing.
Talk to you soon!
Byron
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Byron,
Did you see this yet? Me at the Glen in June:

http://www.cfwars.com/racingstuff/MikeWG.wmv

I can get you some video of my cobra at idle by the end of the weekend if all goes well. I think you will be very happy with the cam. So do you have two cobras now?!

--Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mike,
That was a COOL video. Really enjoyed that. Are you taking your car at the end of the month? That really looked like a lot of fun.
Yes, I now have two cobras along with the best wife in the world!!!!!! I have just driven one for the first time when I drove the NAF car a few miles. Its a blast and going to be a lot of fun. My wife bought this car so we could have a driver now while I finish the Shell Valley. At some point I will send you my E-Mail at home and I will send you pics and updates of both cars and you can send me yours. Look forward to hearing it run !!!
Talk to you soon!
Byron
Old 08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2 Cobras and an understanding wife... and I thought I was lucky! You use one for track use and make the other a really nice street ride. Yup, taking the Cobra again. It is a straight up thrill ride! I hardly can believe this kind of fun is legal! Go ahead and send me that email address. Send it here mj_duell@cfwars.com , because for some strange reason CC mail does not reach me. Email me and I will reply. Got an interesting secret to let you in on.

--Mike