Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Default qts of oil in 427 FE

Can some tell me how many qts of Oil a 427 FE
Old 07-19-2005, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

what kind of oil pan?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Blykins nails it! Varies depending on oil pan.

The old Ford VAN's used a full length pan, no "sump" at one end or the other. That was 9 qts. A typical road race after market pan also holds about 9 qts and is generally also full length. The standard 427 (with front sump) was I THINK only 5 or 6 qts, INCLUDING the oil filter (1 qt) in all of the above.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can please see my photo gallery. I have a picture of the motor from a side view that you can see the pan. Sorry I am not sure who made the pan. It was made in Cali from some guy.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 675 - 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Nice motor....9 1/2 quarts in the pan, usually one in the filter.- Tom
Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Some guy in Calif", most likely "Armando's Oil Pan" a copy of the Aviad road race pan. As it's full length, with oil filter would be 9 qts.

Drain, re-fill with 8 (more or less), pre-fill oil filter (slightly less than a qt), run engine (fills oil filter completely), shut down and let stand a little while. Total amount of oil used should be 9. Mark your dip stick accordingly.

For BREAK IN, use 8 and pre-fill the oil filter for another qt (or so). Run the engine 20-30 minutes, shut off and then add just enough to get the 9 in there. Then mark the stick. Now CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you to all

Excaliber you are right it is Armando I could not remember the name.

I guess I better hit the stores for more oil I only bought 6 qts
Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was going to go with Armando, he makes a fine pan indeed. The reason I went with Aviad was because Gessford (George) was "consulting" with me on my build and I felt the least I could do was to buy all my parts through him.

Hard to put a value on the incredible expertise George was able to offer during my build! I'm pretty sure he "saved me from myself".
Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4819, 427 all aluminum
Send a message via AIM to CWCobra
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure i have 10 qts in the pan, one in the filter and one in the engine..

Conrad
Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

I'm with CW. Initially I put in 12 qts and it needed 10 qts for a oil change.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking SO, which is it??

Ha ha,,, we better get Armando or George or Aviad or someome to weigh in on this!

If it had 12 and then you changed to 10 is that because it all didn't drain out? Which IS a problem on these pans because the dang oil drain plug is in the front of the pan and "jacked up" some oil stays in the back of the pan. Unless you drop the jack like I do.

9 in the pan and one in the filter? I'm more concerned with being a quart high than a quart low! Don't want the oil all "stirred up" by the crank you see.

Quote from Popular Hot Rodding concerning a Shelby alloy FE:
"The dual-kickout, full-length sump aluminum oil pan from Aviad (818-998-8991) holds 8 quarts of oil and uses multiple trap doors in the kickouts to keep the oil near the pickup at all times."

More here:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...5em_sideoiler/

BUT, I've also heard of 11 qt Aviad pans!

Last edited by Excaliber; 07-19-2005 at 06:57 PM..
Old 07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

One of mine has 12. one of mine has 9. most start out life needing 6 with a full size filter enless you have a 427 Thunderbolt in which case you need 7.

Interesting point EX. Hotrod this month did an article on windage. They took a 10 quart BBC and ran it full, 1/2 quart down, 1 quart down and 1 1/2 quarts down.

At 1 1/2 quarts down they picked up 20 hp. The engine tested did not have a windage tray. I think the point was look what you can do to get 20 free horsepower. I think I'd rather spend $40 and a few hours and just put one in. Still cheap or in this case free horsepower.

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Last edited by SCOBRAC; 07-24-2005 at 04:54 PM..
Old 07-24-2005, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

Priobe, tell me about your dipstick. Is that a Lokar??? I have an early production model (back whan we had to beg them to make one for the FE) and it doesn't fit nearly as well. Is that a Lokar unit? Did you get it from them or from a reseller, what did you pay roughly?

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scobrac,

On the Dipstick I went with a Lokar unit. I think I spent $40 about a year 1/2 ago from Summit