Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     
Default FE Hydraulic Roller

I know the FE-HR has been out a while, and thinking seriously about installing it, who has one and do you like it?, I would also like to know the available profiles from max to mild.

Thanks in advance,

Perry

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I should have mentioned, I have a 68 s/o block that allows both.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

I am considering using the HR cam in my Keith Craft build. I would like to hear anyone's experience and/or recommendations, also.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 03-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Been using one for a couple of years now with no issues. (other than traction)

Lift...Intake .634 Exhaust .624

Duration @.050 .242 .248
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The only drawbacks are the rpm limits....and the fact that the hydraulic roller lifters are so expensive.

Since I'm only going to use my Cobra as a toy and not a daily driver, I opted for the solid roller cam. Comp Cams has some new solid roller lifters out that are pressure fed....supposedly they will last a long time.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins
The only drawbacks are the rpm limits....and the fact that the hydraulic roller lifters are so expensive.

Since I'm only going to use my Cobra as a toy and not a daily driver, I opted for the solid roller cam. Comp Cams has some new solid roller lifters out that are pressure fed....supposedly they will last a long time.
What kind of rpm limits are we talking about? I really don't intend to use the north end of 6000. The hydralic rollers lifters are good for that, aren't they?
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 03-26-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They should be good for 6k.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Blykins, thanks for the info. I am looking for something that will give me my power in the 5000 to 6000 range and have a nice lumpy idle. Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Crane has some hydraulic rollers on their web catalog. Comp does not offer them in their catalog, but KC can have one from Comp custom ground. He uses them quite a bit.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

I would think Keith could fix you right up. He used a comp hydraulic in my FE 645/635 - 242/248. Makes plenty HP through 6K. Lumpy, but idles at 800 or so.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rb, has your engine been dyno'd?

I'm looking to compare my combo to see how much horsepower it will make before I have it dyno'd...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hyd. Roller

I have a Comp hydraulic roller in my Keith Craft built Genesis S.O. block, 496 c.i., 622/622 - 252/262.
Very strong running, idles nice at 800 rpm. Dynoed on the engine dyno at Keith's shop at 666HP/638TQ. On the chassis dyno at the shop in Plano dynoed at 560RWHP/550RWTQ. I run a 6400 chip in the MSD box, but all the max. power is in by 6000 rpm's.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I like Cobras, but I'm here for the FE stuff...
Not Ranked     
Default Ditto...

I have the same 622/622 - 252/262 Comp hyd roller in my Keith Craft 456ci FE with 10.5:1 and stock Ford 3x2 setup (it's in a Galaxie). Engine dynoed 560/560, likewise idles at 800, likewise run a 6400 limiter with peak power at 5800. Can't say enough about how smooth and strong this engine runs.

I considered a more conservative 242/252 grind but was surprised to learn from KC that the 252/262 actually makes more power everywhere on the curve. Easy choice then!

Mike
Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

All,

I had mine dynoed at Keith's and had 580hp/590 tq. I have not done a chassis dyno yet - I have been changing some stuff myself before taking it, but it is next on my list. I have a 6000 chip in my MSD. I have about 900 miles on it and until this weekend only ran it hard to 4000 or so and it was what I thought as UNBELIEVEABLE to 4000. I did have the opportunity this week end to crank it up above 4000 and I have been missing the best part!!! The engine literally comes alive above 4000 and pulled hard, so hard that I was immedietly getting into 4th and bumping 100 - like before I knew it! The sound is also WAY COOL!

I never hit the rev limiter. I have mine geared for about 145 or so top end (6000 RPM). Don't think it would have taken but a fist full of seconds to be there either!

My build included all new rotating assembly, Erson rollers, Edelbrock stage II heads, port matched edelbrock intake and my demon 750 dynoed to within 5 HP of Keith's "race carb".

Engine is a little choppy cruising below 15-1700, but is very manageable with my gearing. I am running 3.25 in the rear with TKO 600 with .84 5th. Idle is nice at 800 (rocks the car a little which I like). Really a nice combo.

Jim - your has to be really crazy with another 100 horses more than mine!!!!

Man it is fun.

Bruce
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 377 - 428SCJ
Not Ranked     
Default FE Hydraulic Roller

I have the KC Comp hydraulic roller and it is a huge improvement over the solid lifter cam it replaced. The idle is so lumpy it sounds like a funny car and from 1500 rpm on the seat hits you so hard in the back it's like being rear ended by a frieght train at 80 mph.
428SCJ
Old 03-28-2006, 03:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"it's like being rear ended by a frieght train at 80 mph." Love that description! Can't wait till mine is ready! You guys have really made me feel good about my decision to go with the KC HR 427! I know I am not going to regret it!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

rblong, is your engine 428ci or is it a stroked 428?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

n/m....I see in your gallery that it's stroked....
Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry, that's what I wanted to hear.....................