Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     
Default Pent Roof Valve covers

I need to find a source for the original style (good quality) chrome Valve Covers and the 427 Badges which where on the covers.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

http://www.cobranda.com/

I would start here.
Good luck

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Blue Thunder also has a cast aluminum set of pentroofs. They come in a rough cast finish and they are A LOT of work to polish but look very nice when finished. I've polished my share of aluminum parts but these were pretty tough to knock down to a nice smooth finish.

www.survivalmotorsports.com and click on the BT images. You can see a closeup of the as cast finish.

G.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Finishline has the valve covers and the 427 Emblem that you are looking for.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Power Performance Body, Contemporary chassis, 427 CO, Big I/O toploader, AMP Billet rear, Trigo 6 pin
Not Ranked     

If you plan on buying the cheap stuff from Branda or Finish line, expect to have them re-chromed soon. They don't sell the good triple chrome plated ones. Theirs are chrome flashed directly on steel, since chrome is porus the steel will begin to rust. Just a point to consider when you start comparing.

dave
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

One additional point is that the repro steel covers do NOT come with installed oil baffles. You will need to fabricate baffles out of thin sheet aluminum in order to prevent the usual oil blow-by. Seaman is correct, the repro chrome job SUCKS and you can expect to pay $300-350 for a quality chrome job done the right way.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHart
...the repro steel covers do NOT come with installed oil baffles. .. You will need to fabricate baffles out of thin sheet aluminum...
Would adding the baffle destroy the chrome job? Does anyone sell pentroofs with baffles and good chrome?

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Nantucket,
Remember one thing, stamped steel pent roof valve cover always leek on and FE engine.

BTW how long does it take to circle the island in a cobra?

It's just easier this way.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So if the ones mentioned have poor chrome, no baffles and leak, are there any out there that don't have those faults and which are period correct (at least visually from the outside...)?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

I've had the Taiwan chromed steel pent roofs on my Cobra for 12 years and no rust...of course I do polish them a few times a year. If yours leak oil, you're tightening them down too tight, warping the steel. I do use gizmos that spread the bolt force over a larger area, long ones on the top & bottom and triangle-shaped on the corners. I will agree that aluminum covers cause fewer problems for most people. Chrome steel covers will get minor scratches...not necessarily through the chrome, but the plug wire separators (plastic!) will mar the chrome if you're not really careful when you remove the dist. cap or whatever, and you can't polish them out. I haven't had any problems with the chrome other than what I mentioned, and I might add that the cost of having anything chromed is the polish work involved; any imperfections have to be polished smooth before it can be plated. The actual plating itself isn't expensive.
I remember seeing pictures of the 427 with pentroofs in mags when I was in my teens and thought it was a beautiful motor; that's why I've got them, I like the look, "warts and all".
My 2 cents,

Dan
Old 04-22-2006, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The aluminum BT cover I mentioned come in closed, open (for baffles) and a comp version. They run around $200 a set. The comp filter set is another $40-60 depending on the set. You can have them polished and the fit is very good on the set I have. If your running rocker end stands the stands might need to be clearanced tho... they covers are pretty thick. I remermber someone here having that problem not that long ago.

G.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#1325, Miller Machine FE
Not Ranked     

In summation: cheap steel ones are all you can get and they are $149.00 + Shipping. They need to be polished, re-chromed and they leak. There are no good ones.
The Island is 3.5 miles wide and 17 miles long. Speed limit 45 and alot of cobblestones streets. A long ride is 30 minutes.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up FE Specialties!

I got mine from FE Specialties, and the price included instillation...............,of course he built my complete engine!
See my photo gallery for pictures of them. Leak or not, that's what a 427fe should look like!

jdog
P.S. They now wear 427 "badges"!

Last edited by jdog; 04-27-2006 at 07:54 PM..