Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

With hydraulics, "throwby" is a real problem in the valley area. I installed one of the baffles I posted, PCV still sucked major oil; looked like engine had a major ring problem. I then made a "cup" to fit around the baffle out of fiberglass and drilled holes in the bottom of it to keep most of the oil away from the baffle and still drain out of the "cup". It didn't help. Sealed off the rear hole, installed PCV (with baffle) on a valve cover and everything is fine.
Rings are probably well on their way to being seated, but based on the blowby I get out of mine with no PCV and around 700 miles, they've got a bit to go yet.
I think you'll have the same or similar experience I did...

Dan
Old 08-06-2006, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     

N/M Covered in another post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Talking I'm declaring success!!!!

Well got out for my first good ride today of about 2 hours and was sitting on pins and needles the whole time waiting for something to blow.....and guess what - nothing happened

Gave it a couple of good runs of 5 - 105mph (hope SVOBUD isn't reading this)

The breather caps stayed put, the rear breather didn't leak where I'd sealed it off. Oil pressure ran about 70 lbs at speed, water temp hovered + or - around 90 c (and it's mid 90 deg F here), and oil temp steady at 65 c (got to get used to these centigrade instruments).

The radial tires are so much smoother riding than the Goodyear track tires, but you could tell the difference in how it stuck to the road at speed on a curve.

So thanks to all who've helped and followed my saga.......now you'll have to go back to watching NASCAR and hoping for a wreck there instead of following my mayhem .

When I have more time I'll try to summarize what I learned from this experience in the hopes it will help someone else short-cut any similar ordeals.
Thanks!
Scott
Old 08-06-2006, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

FANTASTIC! Life is good again, isn't it!

Dan
Old 08-06-2006, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Carnut427 - you ain't kiddin!

Now if I could win the lotto, the kids decided it would be a good idea to behave, the miracle diet pills really worked and made me look like Brad Pitt and my wife like a Playboy bunny, then life would really be good
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No Cobra... yet!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge
You don't need to fill the motor with no T-stat in it. Just open the T-stat and stick two asprins in it to hold it open. Then when you fill the motor, it won't be air bound, and the asprins will just melt away. Old trick I learned workng at the dealer.
Hey, yet another use for aspirin. That's a neat trick. I remember my dad telling my sister when she started dating as a teenager that the best birth control was aspirin... the girl should put one between her knees and don't let it drop.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I think it's fixed....for the third time

Wanted to update this thread, even though I've started several others in this saga.

I ended up having the engine torn down and re-assembled in order to find the source of the mystery water and here's what we found. This is the cylinder sleeve from #2 after it was removed from the block. Apparently the sleeve had rusted from the back side, where the original crack in the block was allowing coolant against it. Over time it got thin enough that it became porus and opened pin holes in the surface. Under heat and pressure, it was enough to flow coolant into the cylinder. Apparently these type of issues don't show up easily on a magna-flux. The holes appear much bigger in the photo as the sleeve was bored out and made the holes open up.

In addition, found that the rocker shaft on this side had developed a crack. So, had I kept running I was in for bigger problems sooner rather than later. Builder said it was probably due to not having end stands on the rocker shaft as I was running the original Ford pedestals that leave the end rocker arms hanging off the end of the shaft.

So, now it's all back together and had it running today with new rings, new sleeve on #2, new rocker shaft and new end stands on both rocker shafts. Also got my rear breather working as they added a valley pan modified to work with hydraulic lifters, while keeping the splash off the rear breather.

I also have the TKO 600 installed with the short input shaft and no spacer, which was the thing that started this adventure last December. Wow, can't believe I've been fighting this for almost a year now.

In any case, it's been a real learning experience - good, bad and ugly!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow - I can't believe I went through all this. It's now been 5 1/2 years since that last post. Since Bill Parham and Southern did their rebuild magic, it's run like a charm. I drove it from Atlanta to Huntsville and back this past weekend. Found out I had a radiator leak, so have taken out the radiator and will have it fixed. Still the best toy ever!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You and me both...I recall tearing the top end off trying to figure out what was going on. We didn't find it, obviously. Hope you are doing well Scott!

Tony/Cracker
Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You as well Tony! Did you ever finish your BMW?

Kids and work have taken over life of late, so haven't been out and about much in #7. But am now in the midst of radiator repair and reinstallation on it.

BTW - Clay Sims at Sims Radiator in Chamblee, GA is the place to go if you need work done. He has a Cobra replica as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sent you a PM