Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR in the near future/ Vintage NOS 66' X block 427 S.O., Top Loader, 8.8 IRS rear
Not Ranked     
Default HELP,, Side oiler,, Block Casting Codes???

I have the Ford engine parts interchange book on casting #'s and I'm on ebay attempting to bid on a block. The codes as given by seller,, since you can not make them out in the auction pic. are as follows. I know the 12 DIF stands for: Mold 12, dearborn iron foundry, But these #'s and letters are out of the scope for the code references in the book, PLEASE HELP!!! E KJ8 or E 4J8! Thanx in advance!! I have 3 days to decipher!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FE's are strange birds... casting numbers, codes etc won't tell you exactly what you have. You need to know bore, stroke, side bolts? etc.. exception: The vast majority of 427 blocks are easily identified visually from the outside to the semi-trained eye. The rest require some measuring... A typical block casting number could mean that the block is a 360, 390 or a 428.. you just won't know w/o bore 'n stroke measurements..

Dave
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR in the near future/ Vintage NOS 66' X block 427 S.O., Top Loader, 8.8 IRS rear
Not Ranked     

Well first, thanx for your reply, I see the oil gallery on the left hand side of the block w/ the 5 tapped/threaded unplugged holes. I can also tell that it isn't a 427 SOHC Cammer block, It doesn't have the oil gallery @ the rear left cylinder deck on the block!!!

It does show the 8 pronounced ribs on the passenger side of the block corelating to the 3 blocks that were made to be hydraulic lifter able, though I can not see the oil galleries on either side of the cam journal opening on the very back of the block to confirm this.

The seller painted the block, so I also can't tell for sure if the freeze plugs are steel or brass. Steel for street, Brass for marine if they haven't been replaced! Well enough said, I also hope this will help other perspective block seekers out there,, Cheers!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Try posting on the FE forum as well...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HSSS427, I did post on the FE forum. Slow response last nite, So I also posted on the FFROG site to get some cross references going!! Thanx all for replying!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm no expert, but if C = 1960s, then E would = 1980s. Did they still make FEs in the 80s? I have a C5AE-H block
Old 07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HSSS427, The C, E factor was my concern also, E meaning 80's. The FE was first cast in 58 w/ the 332 cid., And ended in 70 w/ the FE 428 ci Cobra Jet.

The SuperCobra Jet fell under the 385 series big block. A block all its own, the 429/460. You can have a 429 and drop a 460 crank in it and have a 460 displacement.Your codes follow as: 427ci 1965-66 High Performance. Deck size: 4.23" Compression height: .035 Side Oiler.

Early 65 was when they started the change to side oiling, Your block code is the beginning of the S.O. series!!! Hope this answers your question!!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

An oldie but a goodie! Funny that all my challenges have been with "new" Shelby heads, carbs, and the like. The good old 40 year old block hasn't been a problem.

Interested to hear what the "mystery" block is that you're looking at. eBay can be a great place, or a scary place if you can't determine exactly what you're getting. Hope the price is good enough to warrant the "risk."
Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NCE BITN
...The seller painted the block, so I also can't tell for sure if the freeze plugs are steel or brass...
Production side oilers had screw-in frost plugs, not cups.

Dan
Old 07-25-2006, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The large "E" over the 4J8 is part of the mold ID process. The 4J8 is the date code of 64 Sept 28th unless there are 2 dots under the first number. Then it would be a 74 Sept 28th BUT I'm not certain sideoilers were still be cast in 74. If the block has press in freeze plugs and 2 bolt motor mount bosses then it's a 64 topoiler block. Screw in freezew plugs are easy to add to any FE block so be certain what your looking at.

G.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Production side oilers had screw-in frost plugs, not cups.

Dan
Carnut427, I guess I needed to be more specific on the plug issue. I took for granted and short handed that statement thinking we all knew that the freeze plug, Or in actuality, The proper name is core plug, since they're machined bored, tapped and plugged. The hole is for casting purposes! If the block froze they wouldn't push out anyway.

FFR427, Thanx 4 the help in deciphering. I'm letting both ebay auctions go, One is in Texas and I want to physically see what I'm getting b4 I buy. The other one is in VA. I can get there in 4 hrs.

The auction ended w/ no winning bidder, I'll call the guy and set up a time hopefully. This is risky business as you guys know w/ the sideoilers. To many variables! Thanx again everyone!