Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     
Default Bore & Stroke?

It will soon be getting down to the wire on the Keith Craft build of my 427 SO. I would like to know which bore & stroke is the best to get and why. At his point I have talked with Keith and some of the specs on the motor are as follows. Stage 1 Edelbrock Heads, Blue Thunder Med Rise Intake, 750 Holley, fairly mild hydralic roller cam and 10 - 1 pistons. Cast Pond block. He has suggested the 482 bore. Thanks.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American

Last edited by 427SnakeSC; 07-29-2006 at 12:00 PM..
Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SnakeSC
It will soon be getting down to the wire on the Keith Craft build of my 427 SO. I would like to know which bore & stroke is the best to get and why. Thanks.

Apparently originality is important to you, else why the Side-oiler (not the best design for the street) in the plastic replica.

Soooo, for originality sake, I'd go with the 4.23" bore and the 3.78" stroke.
Your only other option, to stay the course originality-wise, is a 4.13" bore with a 3.98" stroke to give you the 428 inch displacement many original cobras actually came with, though if you choose this option, you may have the wrong block?

Any more hard questions?
427teebolt likes this.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have asked Keith for a cast Pond block. He says no problem. Last year I heard some bad rumors about the Genesis blocks.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Do these dimentions really come out to 427 cubic inches?

Bob
Old 07-29-2006, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #726 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     

427SnakeSC
Within the confines of an FE all that really matters is total cubic inches. I'd make it at least a 482. If the cost is about the same make it a 526. Either way it should be a fun ride!!

Steve
Old 07-29-2006, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Wink Genesis

Quote:
I have asked Keith for a cast Pond block. He says no problem. Last year I heard some bad rumors about the Genesis blocks.
There were some glitches at first as one might expect in a foundry operation,
but those have been resolved now. The person to ask about Genesis blocks
would be Barry Rabotnick, he does his FE builds with Genesis blocks including
the FE he did for the Engine Masters competition.

....Fred
Old 07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Smile Seasoned block!

I went with a vintage/seasoned block, so boring was limited.

Remember this post? I posted my spec's here:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70167

jdog
P.S. There is no other sound like a big bore FE!

Last edited by jdog; 07-29-2006 at 05:37 PM..
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct

Do these dimentions really come out to 427 cubic inches?

Bob
A question for Bob in Ct: you seem to be familiar with the Ford Windsor small block engine family. What is the bore and stroke of the Ford 5.0 liter engine? Does it equal 5.0 liters?

I assume Ford has been fudging math results for decades.

All should note that bores and strokes published are ones that are hoped for at the manufacturing level. Actual bores and strokes can vary quite a bit and Ford even made allowances for the manufacturing variances with different size and weight pistons and rods.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bore and stroke of the 5 liter is 4X3. It comes out to 302 cubic inches.

The bore and stroke of a Windsor engine is 4X3.5 (which is the same as the 60s FE). It comes out to 352 cubic inches. I presume Ford chose to call it a 351 to avoid confusion with the old 352 FE engine.

The bore and stroke of the 427 calculates out to 425 cubic inches. I've always wondered why Ford chose to call it a 427.

Bob
Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The bore and stroke of the 5 liter is 4X3. It comes out to 302 cubic inches.

The bore and stroke of a Windsor engine is 4X3.5 (which is the same as the 60s FE). It comes out to 352 cubic inches. I presume Ford chose to call it a 351 to avoid confusion with the old 352 FE engine.

The bore and stroke of the 427 calculates out to 425 cubic inches. I've always wondered why Ford chose to call it a 427.

Bob
4"x3"x3.14159=301.59624 cubic inches x 0.016387064 (liter/cu in) = 4.9422179 liters. The accepted reference to the 302 then, in liters, should be 4.9l, not 5.0l, especially from a company that already has a 4.6l V-8 else they could have called the 4.6l a 5.0l and made a lot of people happy.

It is all marketing and they can call virtually anything anything. Chrysler can call the overweight bloated Challenger concept a "Pony Car" even though it is based on a full-sized frame and design.

I think there was already a 425 (Oldsmobile?), a 426 (mopar) and Ford just wanted something close to differentiate the engine. Is a Ford 428 or Ford 429 really?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

Here is how to figure Cubic Inches. Have fun!

Cubic Inches = Bore x Bore x Stroke x.7854 x 8

Poolw
Old 07-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzler
Apparently originality is important to you, else why the Side-oiler (not the best design for the street) in the plastic replica.

Your only other option, to stay the course originality-wise, is a 4.13" bore with a 3.98" stroke to give you the 428 inch displacement many original cobras actually came with, though if you choose this option, you may have the wrong block?

Any more hard questions?
Yes, though I don't think it is a difficult question. If I go with this bore and stroke to get the 428 cu. in., is there pistons available for this? I called Keith a couple of months ago to find out if I could keep the original bore and stroke to give me the original 427 size. I'm pretty sure he told me that the pistons for 427 were very difficult to get. Correct me if I am wrong, there. If I have a choice, I would like to keep the original 427 cu. in. displacement. If not, I will probably go with the recommended 482 cu. in.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he told me that the pistons for 427 were very difficult to get. Correct me if I am wrong, there. If I have a choice, I would like to keep the original 427 cu. in. displacement. If not, I will probably go with the recommended 482 cu. in.
I've run into a lot of, though I'm sure there are more acceptable euphemisms out there, lying lately.

Your aftermarket block probably comes with a 4.25" bore. All he should have told you was that it's pretty much impossible for him to take a 4.25" bore back down to 4.23". Why all the subterfuge?

Honestly, if you're spending the coin on a new block, what's the cost of a set of custom pistons in the grand scheme of things? And you can specify the correct offset instead of taking none or the GM's version (4.25" is a GM size and you'll get "GM" pistons).

So it starts: a genuine "sideoiler" block (only it's an aftermarket "Pond" block that's had some design "upgrades") displacing "427" (only it was easy to bore and stroke it up to 60's Cadillac displacement using "GM" parts and new crank from China) in a genuine CSX cobra (with the modern plastic body).

I just wish people'd be more upfront and honest about things. Here's an honest truth: there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My current Genesis block seems to be just fine - no issues and it made 752HP at 6300 RPM at the Engine Masters deal on 91 octane. Same engine got shipped over to Kaase's for photos and it went 759HP on Jon's dyno...

The aftermarket blocks are all referenced to go to 4.25 bore. The reason is not pistons - - the guys at Diamond will make me any piston I can dream of. We've done some for FEs with blowers, and some for 300 ci inline sixes with turbos... The forgings are FE specific and not converted GM anything.

The reason is piston ring availability. Since the original moter was the only one using that 4.233 bore, standard size rings have become virtually non-existant. Chevrolet size based 4.250 rings are inexpensive and plentiful.

I cannot imagine a reason not to go "big" - but I suppose we could tweak a 391 truck forged crank offset in the "wrong direction" to put the cubes back at 427 with the slight overbore. Wierd but possible. I'd go big if it was mine.

Wait a minute - - I'm doing something a lot like that for next year's Engine Masters Challenge - - taking my 4.350 bore motor and destroking it to meet the 434 cube rules ... I guess the wierd label fits
Old 07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R
I cannot imagine a reason not to go "big" -
I agree, let that beast take a deep breath. At least it will look right when you open thed hood.

Brad
Old 07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay, okay, you've convinced me! I'm going to go with what Keith recommended, the 482. Thanks guys, for your advice and opinions! After all, it isn't a '66 I'm building here!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is it better to go with a big bore and short stroke or vice-versa in these cars?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It depends on where you want your HP. If you want it beween 2,000 and 4,500 RPM go with stroke. If you want it at higher RPM go with bore.

Personally, I like my HP at the lower end. That's also why I have a dual plane manifold,

Bob
Old 08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It depends on where you want your HP. If you want it beween 2,000 and 4,500 RPM go with stroke. If you want it at higher RPM go with bore.

Personally, I like my HP at the lower end. That's also why I have a dual plane manifold,

Bob
So if I want my hp at the lower rpm then I go with a long stroke?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Usually. Stroker engines don't tend to turn as fast anyway. Drag racing long stroke, road racing big bore.

Bob