Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Heads for 427

I am in the process of assemblying a 427 s.o. from parts that my father n law accumulated in the late 60's but never assembled. Among these parts are cast iron heads with the casting C5AE-P. I do not believe that these have had any modifications. I am trying to decide whether to proceed with these heads or buy some new aluminum heads. Any advice ? Can anyone tell me anything about the casting number ?

Thanks,
Darrell
Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#209 427SC, red, 427 sideoiler
Not Ranked     

I have C5AE-F heads on my sideoiler. It has the intake and exhaust port sizes like the Cobrajet or low riser. I have a book"How to rebuild your BIG-BLOCK FORD" by Steve Christ and it does not have the C5AE P or F listed. It does have C5AE A and E for the 65 427 top-oiler and the C5AE D, B and H for the 65,66 427 Side-oiler. My block is a C5AE-H. I hope someone who knows Ford casting numbers jumps in here because these casting numbers seem to be all over the place. From what I've heard 427, 428 cylinder heads are worth quite a lot of money. If the heads are undamaged you may have hit gold. Plus a good side-oiler block is worth a lot. I'd try to keep the engine as close to original and you may have found a goldmine! Good luck.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks. The engine block casting is 427-66 so I suspect the heads are also from 66'. From what I understand they have not been used (nor has the block). I will doublecheck the letters on the head and make sure that the last one was a "P". When you say that the intake and exhaust port sizes like the Cobrajet or low riser - is that factory sizes or modified ?

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ports are factory sizes. I had the heads off several years ago and had to order new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. The intake ports are 2.34" high by 1.34" wide. One of my books say these are low and Cobrajet port sizes, the other book says the port sizes are medium riser and Cobrajet sizes. So I do not really know what heads I have! If your block and heads are unused, you have a goldmine!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure C5AE-F are Medium Riser heads.

Chuck Brandt
Old 11-15-2006, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandascott
Thanks. The engine block casting is 427-66 so I suspect the heads are also from 66'. .
That may be just part of the mold, used for casting many engines of different sizes for many years. You need to check the date code on the block for the original casting date.

The heads have a date code as well, on the head, under the valve cover, there should be a date code.

the date code indicates 5-11-68 ( 8 E 11 ). These are 68 1/2 CJ heads that came from a 68 GT500KR.

Here's the matching intake, cast date 8 E 7, meaning 5-7-68.

"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 11-15-2006 at 04:52 AM..
Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Talked to father - n - law and confirmed that they are medium riser heads. I have studied the casting number and it appears to be C5AE-P. The "-P" is what I can not confirm was an actual casting for this.

I dug out the connecting rods and they are C6AE-E (I believe LeMans forged rods). I can't believe the great condition of the original parts. I can't wait to get this thing assembled.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

You might give Bill Parham at Southern Automotive in McDonough a call. As he put it, he has "an un-natural love afair with Ford FEs." I bet he'd have an idea and probably may have any missing parts you may be looking for. Of course, he'll probably also want to build it for you, in which case you'd be in good hands to get it built back as close to original as you wanted it.