Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default FE firing order?

Does the FE use 15426378 or 13726548?

I've been through all my books putting data into a single spread sheet for all Ford pushrod engines, and I'm missing this data point. I wanted everything in one place so I could compare.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It's 15426378
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins
It's 15426378
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default ????

You're Fired
Attached Images

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I was a young man...

My car broke down (cross country trip) in the South. I needed to get some work to make the repairs. I went to a local garage and asked for a job. The owner quizes my breifly and asks this question: "Whats the firing order of small block Chevy?" I answered immdediatly, "18436572" and got the job.

Don't know why that particular firing order stuck with me, I still can't recall any Ford firing numbers without looking them up (hangs head in shame).
Old 02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decades ago (back when I was still a puppy), I observed that GM and Mopar had the same firing order. I also noted that GM and Mopar numbered their cylinders with odd numbers on one bank and even on the other, however Ford (wisely) numbered their cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4 on one side and 5, 6, 7, 8 on the other. So, I set down and figured the Ford firing order, had they numbered the cylinders the same as GM and Mopar, and guess what. Yep you might have guessed it, it was the same order. Now I'm no longer certain which Ford engine I was looking at, but I think it was the older 15426378. So if you remember a Chevy firing order, you can wire your Ford FE, if you call the cylinders the same as a Chevy.

Hope that helps, Ernie.

Last edited by olddog; 02-11-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Old 02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

At one time I was told the same story Ernie with the exception of the Cleveland engine. I believe it was true then and may be true for all V8 engines. Might be worth checking out.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From my research to build my spread sheet (which is not complete), the 351W, 351C, 351M, and 400M are the only Ford pushrod engines to use the odd firing order. I didn't check the old "Y" block.

Interestingly I saw a TV show where they used a different firing order on a SB Chevy. They claimed it created a better scavenging affect and increased about 50 hp (don't trust my memory on that number). They ran it on a dyno with a regular cam of the same duration and lift. It changed more than just the 5,4 / 3,7 swap of the Ford engines. Anyone ever seen anything like this on a Ford?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

from what I recall olddog ..the swap was in only 2 cylinders where you buy the different cam and yes I do belive the gain was about 50 HP
Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I channel surffed into the tail end of the show again. It was only 2 cylinders as you said. I sure would like to see if it is the exact same swap as Ford has been doing all these years.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog
I observed that GM and Mopar had the same firing order. I also noted that GM and Mopar numbered their cylinders with odd numbers on one bank and even on the other, however Ford (wisely) numbered their cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4 on one side and 5, 6, 7, 8 on the other.
The way I understood it, GM and mopar numbered their cylinders based on the order of the connecting rods(cylinders) starting from the front of the engine going to the back. You end up with even on one side, and odd on the other.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."