Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Default precision oil pumps rocker assblys

is any one using percision oil pumps rocker assblys?, if so how do you like them . also what do they use for the actual rocker arm?. i heard that the erson use a smaller shaft with needle bearings, and the precision uses a larger shaft with a bushing wich is less likely to break. just tring to decide wich way to go will be using the edelbrock heads.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I think Doug's setup is like the old Comp/Dove setup.

Go with the Ersons....next to the T&D's, there isn't a better rocker arm assembly in my opinion.

Make sure you go with some good studs.

BTW, a lot of people have had trouble with the Crane setup, so I would steer clear of that one.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

These appear to have bronze bushings, much like the FPP assemblies I used on my iron 427. I preferred these over the Dove/CC rockers when I purchased them 15 years ago since they are bushed, instead of running the 'bare' aluminum against the shafts. They are a little bit different, using a ball/ball push rod. I did swap out the FPP end stands for the Dove end stands that tied into the end head stud. They held together fine, I was running a .645 CC roller and ran up to 6500rpm. I will reuse these when I rebuild the iron 427. I am not sure what kind of price is on the complete assemblies, but adding up the individual prices on his Ebay store is a little bit more than the Ersons. He seems to have a pretty good reputation. For my aluminum 427, I am using the Ersons.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Precision Oil Pumps setup uses a stronger shaft and the rocker stands are very nice.

Call Doug and ask him for the specifics. http://www.precisionoilpumps.com/
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i spoke to doug the other day, when i ordered my oil pump, i do remember him saying you need special push rods but i have to by them any way. i just did not remember what rocker arm he actually uses? are they his own?.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

I went with Ersons from DSC. Researched a few forums first and no one had anthing bad to say about them. DSC say's the good for 800lb spring pressure and .800 lift. Didn't need a "special" push rod.
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CACC Member. Power Performance, 2X4's, 428
Not Ranked     

I use Doug's rocker assemblies on my 428cj and have been very happy with them.
Larry
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any body have any experience with the harland sharp rockers?, i was looking at them also.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

n/m............

Last edited by afret; 11-12-2007 at 09:14 PM..
Old 11-10-2007, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i like the pop's because i am going to use arp head studs, and they are built to clear the studs. the erson rockers will not i guess you have to machine the studs and nuts down to clear or mill the stands?. any other opinions out there to help me decide?.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

True, the Ersons will hit the studs, but it's very easy to make them clear. I used Ersons with ARP studs on my 428. Just about 2 minutes with a little grinder bit and they cleared just fine. It doesn't take much at all to make them fit.

You could ask some of the high volume builders which rockers they use and what they've had the least amount of trouble out of. I think KC uses Erson and T&D.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i emailed kc and he said he likes the t&d, but reccomends the ersons. i like to see what other builders reccomend. so what is wrong with the pop style rocker assbly?. they look a lot stronger then the erson
Old 11-10-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i dont have my cyl heads yet so could some one tell me wich studs actually hit ? is it all of them or just a few?.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll try to find some pics, but it's been a year since I did mine and I can't seem to remember.

The Ersons come in one piece, you don't have to assemble them with shims, springs, etc. You just bolt them on. Plus, you don't have to worry about which way the oil holes are facing on the shafts with Ersons.

I didn't have any problems at all with the rocker tip being centered on the valve. They fit perfectly out of the box with exception of a little clearance grinding.

You could always use head bolts instead of studs.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

does anyone have a picture of an installed edelbrock head using head studs,
i just wanted to see where the stands hit?.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...hp?photo=21587

Look at the end stand....this engine has head bolts, but I think there was a clearance problem here with studs.