Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Default pilot bushing-bearing for fe

what does the fe use for a pilot bearing-bushing?, who carries them. i have a roller one in my 342 to they make that style for the big block?.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     

Yes, they make rollers - I just went to my local auto parts store and they had it on the shelf and no I am not talking about kragens / auto zone / o'reily's....
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Wrench: Roller, or do you mean ball bearing? Regardless, use a sealed ball bearing instead of a bronze bushing. NAPA carries either as do other auto-parts stores. Just make sure when installing the bearing to use a driver that seats against the outer race. Driving on the inner race will destroy the bearing.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is usually a very tight fit for the tip of the trans input shaft to 'slide' (more like press) into the bearing. A good way to break the ears off the trans if you use bolts to pull it up tight against the bell housing.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Excaliber: That's a good point. Never pull a transmission into place with the mounting bolts. It may do more harm that break the transmission case. Instead, make sure the transmission slides into place so it's hard against the rear face of the bellhousing before you tighten the mounting bolts.

To assist transmission installation, pick up a couple of low grade, six-inch long bolts of the same size at the mounting bolts from your local hardware. Cut off their heads, then slot the ends wide enough for a screwdriver blade. You can use a hacksaw with two blades mounted in the hacksaw. Thread the bolts into the bellhousing. You'll now have a guide to center the transmission straight as you slide it into place. Now you can secure the transmission with the mounting bolts.

By the way, check that the pilot bearing/bushing fits over the pilot end of the transmission input shaft. Similarly, check the fit of the clutch disc to the input shaft. It never hurts to check first so any problem will be easier to correct.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not sure on your clutch

wrench 87 If you have a master slave cylinder setup, and have the bell housing on with the throwout bearing on the clutch fork arm, get to 7/16 threaded studs about 4" long and screw them into the top of the bell housing. Slide the trans in to the last inch and lightly press in on the clutch pedal, everything will align and slide in. I do my trans by myself and on an ERA car it works everytime. No force needed. If you have a hydro thrown out bearing on the trans, this will not work and you will have to try and align the input to slide into the pilot bearing or bushing. A lite touch of grease on the input and I polish the end of the input shaft with a dremmel tool and sand roll.You will have to pull the trans into the bell housing evenly. If you use allen head bolts and mark the head and do 1/2 turns on all 4 and keep criss crossing the trans will slide in. Use a small racket and socket so you DON'T break off the trans ears. Rick Lake
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Wremch,
The FE pilot is larger than a small block. I have 20 or more FE pilot bearings in stock. Most places don't sell them but.....

BTW,
I'll be at work on Sunday afternoon, call me...
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Doesn't anyone use a clutch alignment tool anymore?

I always just verify the pilot bushing/bearing fits nicely on the input shaft before putting it in the end of the crank. install flywheel, disk and pressure plate using the plastic alignment tool. Trans usually goes right in.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have that generic adaptor kit, screw on the end of the tool shaft the pilot piece that fits best. NOTHING in my kit fit the FE! I used one that was close and then very carefully aligned it myself from there. While I had the alignment correct, that last half inch because of the tight fit in the bearing was hell! I've had the trans out several times over the years and always dread that last part. I polish the input shaft, make sure the bearing center is good to go and use a light coat of grease to help it along.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What trans are you running??

wrench 87 what trans are you using?? If you are running a FE motor and a 26 spline GM trans input, there is a roller bearing you can get from a good auto parts store, SKF 6303-2RSJ is the part number. The bearing is about $32.00. I put a new one in my 484 motor. They should have a conversion chart. My old bearing was a Green bearing. I think they are all made in Japan now. Rick L
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i have a 3550 trans with the 10 spline, i hopefully will be using the tko600 when i install the 445 stroker?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Would need demensions of input shaft and shaft lenght

wrench 87 would need diameter of trans input shaft for where the pilot bearing is, lenght of the input shaft from trans case face to end of input shaft. Mike F. might have the right bearing like I said, Mine is for a GM trans input on an FE crank. Do you have the trans and you can check these measurements? This would get you in the right direction. You should also center the bellhousing to the crank shaft. Rick