Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Erson Roller Rocker Assembly Backordered

Erson has had them backordered for a month now. Has anyone else run into this issue? My engine is being delayed due to them being out of stock.

Just my luck. Just an FYI, for anyone else out there building an FE right now and doesn't have them.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Try Barry R?

Rod knock Have you tryed Barry R at Survialmotor sports? Call Around you may pay a little more but get them a 2-3 days Rick L. Ps KCR??
Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry is out. I would think if Keith is building a ton of FE's, then he might want to keep a few around for his crate engine customers, which I am not.

Erson is telling vendors next week, but then they've already pushed the date back once.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Did you try Dennis Carrico? www.dscmotorsport.com
Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I saw his company when I searched around, but I've never heard of them. Is DSC OK?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I heard Erson is moving from Carson City NV to somewhere in the midwest. I wonder if that might be what's causing the delay.

Regarding DSC, he's pretty "hit and miss." If you can actually get a hold of him, he's pretty good. Actually getting a hold of him is another story. His answering machine is often full and messages go unanswered. Forget about actually ordering anything off his website. I tried to order a dipstick tube that way. I got all done and realized his website had never asked me for a credit card or any other payment info. I called, got his voicemail, left two messages telling him I wanted to pay for a dipstick I had ordered on line. He never called back. I finally went elsewhere. Another time, I called and got a hold of him to order the spacer kit that you use to need for Erson rockers if you run Edelbrock heads (but I don't think you need it any more). He shipped them to me the same day.

Chris
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

He (dsc motorsport) has a lot of items on eBay including a set of Erson rocker assemblies for standard heads. If using the Edelbrocks, you have to disassemble and rearrange the spacers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem He normally includes an auction for the ones to fit the Edelbrocks, but doesnt this time indicating he may be out(?) If interested, you might as well do the buy it now for $685, as the reserve will be something like $684. This is how I got mine a few months ago. He seems like a decent kind of guy (communicates well as far as email, I have tried phone before w/o much luck), maybe he would be willing to swap around if you have Edelbrocks. Shipping seemed to be around $25, and that was coast to coast, and was shipped quicker than most at half the distance. I have got to find someone to machine out clearance on my stands for the head studs, since they are only designed to clear head bolts.

Last edited by cobrajam; 01-14-2008 at 11:15 PM..
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think pretty much everyone is out of Ersons right now - and I'm fairly certain that the move has something to do with it. No promise date that I'd care to publish....

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you for the help.

At some point, and I don't when that point will come, I will need to make a decision to spend a lot more money on the T&D's. Of course, that depends on their availability too.

I would rather have the T&D's, but the cost difference isn't marginal.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Talk to Doug at Precision Oil Pumps. He has the stands, shaft and rockers I believe.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Different oiling for T&D

Rodknock you know that the T&D setup needs oiling through the pushrods. Also if you don't own the BT heads, your will need machine work for your heads to mount the plates. Custom pushrods also. Rick L.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, thanks. I'm using the Edelbrock heads. I didn't know specifically why, until you mentioned it, but I knew I would have to machine the heads, get new pushrods and pay additional monies for the T&D's. I think the added cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$1,000 extra, which isn't by itself all too horrible, but when you add it the rest of the engine...Ugh.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott, thank you. I just sent him an email.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are you going crazy with a big motor?

Rodknock If you are not going crazy with a 8,000rpm motor and .800" cam You might want to look at the ERSON roller rocker setup. I put them on my stroker shelby motor and are very happy. They are lifting only a .600" cam. It's a hydro roller from crane. I am building a larger motor from 482 to 498 with a KCR custom hydro roller cam. I have oiling on the ersons both in the shafts with an .080" restrictor and pushrods oiling also for the cup and ball on the rocker. The head work for cutting down the mounts was $300.00 alone. The T&D's where 1K. Pushrods from Smith brothers was $300.00. You can save between 5-600 dollars on this alone. I am also running beehive spring in my motor but limit the rpms to 6,200. KCR has some great custom cams. His head work is good also. If you are looking for a little stronger balanced motor, Joe craine does a great CFM port job on the intakes. There is a 20-40 cfm differents between port flow on some intakes. He gets around $300.00 for the work. This is a good bang for the buck. You might want to look into this. Do you have some motor spec's?? and idea of TORQUE and HP you are looking at? You might not need to go this crazy Rick L.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, I would only buy the T&D's if Erson can't deliver in a reasonable timeframe. My engine is being professionally built right now and the delivery of the rockers may impact the delivery of the engine. I can wait a little bit, but I've got a few horror stories over the years waiting for manufacturers to deliver on their promises. Anyway, my Crower hydraulic roller cam specs are: 112 LSA, 242/248 duration and .618/.638 lift in a Shelby-block based 482 with Edelbrocks. I can only speculate at this point, but I think that the HP and torque will be around 600 +/-. I know the T&D's are an expensive add, but I hope Erson will deliver, although even Barry R mentioned above that he couldn't publish a promise date.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

Was kinda searching around to see if I could find any info on how to clearance the rocker stands for use with head studs, or if anyone out there advertised doing it, ran across this that had some interesting info http://home.alltel.net/bsprowl/RollerRockerArmFAQs.html
Also saw where DSC had a set for Edelbrocks listed http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

It's been said before....

Call Doug Garifo at Precision Oil Pumps, 559-325-3553. He makes a beautiful aluminum roller rocker kit with shaft end supports for an FE. I have them on my engine.

Unfortunately you won't find much on his website, but give him a call.

Rodger
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is anyone else running POP's roller rocker kit? I know of many people successfully running Ersons and T&D's. I would hate to take a chance with a unknown product on a very expensive engine. I'm not one to trail-blaze.

I appreciate the input. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Mustang 427 CO (489 cid), TKO-600
Send a message via AIM to My427stang
Not Ranked     

Dougs setup is certainly not "unknown" he is a regular at the FE forum and has done a ton of FE's, and when no-one was selling stroker kits or good rockers, he was feeding our addiction and still does.

All his parts, not just the rockers are first rate and his service is second to none.

I'd say give him a call, 10 minutes on the phone should put your worries to rest
08 F-250 6.4 PSD 4x4 SB pulling a 26 ft Mirage for the toys
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith Craft stated that the Ersons are on national back order and that they've been waiting on 15 sets since the middle of December. KC is supposedly getting them in about two weeks.