Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default wiped cams

Every FE engine I've torn down had one or more wiped cam lobes. This one had four with a fifth well on its way. Is this a known problem with the FE motors?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

It's a known problem with any engine with solid lifters and below par oil.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Do a 'net search about low phosphurus and zinc levels in the new 'Energy Conserving' type oils and you'll see what the rather cryptic message above means. It is a problem that the oil mfgs' know of, and several engine builders have also found...the hard way.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Zinc

I gathered this off of the web. It talks conciderably about the zinc contents in the new oils being too low. Claims that these are as high as .16 so should be good for older engines.

Castrol RX Super 15W40
Chevron Delo 400 15W40
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15-40
Penzoil Long life 15W40
Shell Rotella-T 15W40 one of the highest
Super Tech 2000 (WalMart) 15-40 next highest
Valvoline All Fleet 15W40
Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15W40
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just make sure on the diesel oils you don't get "Delo LE"...different animal!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

On the recent Marvel Mystery Oil thread it was mentioned (by more than one) that modern oil has everything you need all ready in it, no need to add anything. Well OK then... It was also mentioned Ford and other manufacturers know whats best for their motors. No doubt thats true, for their MODERN motors! Does Ford even make a flat tappet engine these days?

Newer is not always better. The camshaft makers, the modern oil engineers and many others have lately been saying, "Oops".

NOTE: I don't recommend Marvel Mystery Oil as a supplement to save your flat tappet cam. Nor is it useful for brushing your teeth, washing your hands and many other things. It has it's place, use wisely.

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-28-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Get lifter help

We have discoverd though our engine guys at K@M machine here in K.C. that ther is some help.We had lost several cams in the chevys over the years and they said Crower lifters would help they povide extra oiling on the lobe face provided by a machined flat that runs the length of the lifter.I was willing to try it and we did with outstanding sucsess,we have not lost a cam since.All our non roller rebuilds get the Crower lifters,im not shure about the ford applications but give them a call they do alot of Ford HIPO engines as well as regular rebuilds iv used them exclusivlly for years and they have my trust ther #is 816-353-4422 hope this helps...WB3
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's the exact reason why I'll spend the extra dollars and go hydraulic roller.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Undy, yep.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wimps...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default le

Whats Delo LE?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Wimps...
My feelings exactly. Seems like Brent and I go toe to toe on this issue 'bout every six months. Break your solid cam in right and use Brad Penn, or equivalent, and you'll be fine. Solids are inherently cooler than hydraulics and you get the joy of saying "Yes, it is supposed to sound that way."
Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I'll go solid roller too if the lifters are the right brand. It depends on what I'm building the engine for.

Just remember, just because it broke in ok this time, doesn't mean it will next time.

There's nothing more comforting than building a fresh engine, turning the key and knowing that the cam won't wipe a lobe....or not having to do a break-in dance for 30 minutes while keeping your fingers crossed and offering sacrifices in the corner of the garage.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
Whats Delo LE?
"Delo400 Low Emissions" I ran across it in the local parts house yesterday. The bottle looks the same as regular Delo, but the face has a large gold 'LE' stamped on over the name. It is the stuff for the new spec lo-emission diesels (how is that for an oxymoron).
Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My motor sounds just like solids Pat

patrickt Pat my 482 motor sound just like a solid lifter motor. The only problem is, it's a hydro roller motor. Funny how those bars that link the lifters together have that clicking sound. Rick L. Ps no breakin problems with a hydro roller cam with .600" lift.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Most of the FE cam breakin problems are self induced--First the engines had no oil to the tappets---then people restrict oil to the heads--then they use rods with no squirt holes and tiny bearing and side clearance---whats a cam to do??????No or little oil being slung/sprayed upwards onto the cam, no or little oil draining down from the rockers/springs, no oil around the tappet
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Most of the FE cam breakin problems are self induced...
That's true to a certain degree. I can't argue against the "safety aspect" of breaking in a hydraulic (and Rick's going to have to post an audio clip of his engine before I believe it sounds just like solids...but it might, so don't get mad at me Rick). And performance-wise, today's hydraulics are pretty much just as good as solids.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Solids make more power

patrickt Solids make more power in the upper rpm range to a point. The problem is 2 fold. First the cams have different lobe designs, so there is no way you are going to get a real comparision of solid verse hydro's. Hydro are less maintainance, that's it. Second part of the problem is the weight differents between solids and hydros. I found a way around the pump up problem of hydros, The valve lash is only.010" of the plunger being depressed in the lifter. This slows down the float problem. On my 452 motor with a .501-533" hydro lifter camshaft from crane. The motor would fall flat at 5,400 rpm. With the beehives #26120 I got another 450rpms without the fast dropoff of power. The lifters also have have been pumpup but still maken power. I saved 44 grams per valve on the motor. Thats alot at 5,500 rpm. I am looking at lightening my valve train, going with a bigger cam and turning about 6,700 rpm without any float problem. I will still limit my motors to 6,200 rpm but it's nice to know you have another 500rpm in the bag if needed. Has for breakin of a new motor, any motor with more than a single spring like abeehive would get the dampeners removed and inner springs. Good oil and 2 bottles of EOS and a bottle of Lucas oil suppliment. The other thing is PEROIL the motor. Start the motor and go to 2,500rpm and STAY there for 15 minutes. NO VARYING in RPM. I don't understand guys that spend 15-20G's for a FE motor and will not spend $3-400 more for a Accusump to work as a peroiler and racetrack oil pressure stablizer around long high G turns. Have a good evening Rick L.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hydr vs Solid is kind of like the small vs big block debate, it will never end! On any given application you can make a strong case for either/or.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I'll go solid roller too if the lifters are the right brand. It depends on what I'm building the engine for.

Just remember, just because it broke in ok this time, doesn't mean it will next time.

There's nothing more comforting than building a fresh engine, turning the key and knowing that the cam won't wipe a lobe....or not having to do a break-in dance for 30 minutes while keeping your fingers crossed and offering sacrifices in the corner of the garage.

true dat..

Another thing of concern to me.. I'm starting to hear of more "after the breaker in" wiped lobes these days with flat tappets. Some of the SBCs, I'm hearing, are trashing cams 10,000, 20,000 miles after they were rebuilt. I'm starting to wonder if the non-roller cams require additives on a continued basis. Todays agressive ramping, duration and lifts, unheard of 20 years ago, may have surpassed the "long term" capabilities of the flat tappet, hydraulic or solid. Maybe today's automotive manufacturers have already realised this years ago, hence to demise of the OEM flat tappet. It would appear that "retro" will come at a price, with risk!

Last edited by undy; 02-29-2008 at 03:36 AM..