Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Cammer....maybe???

Anyone know if all the kinks have been worked out???

eBay Motors: Ford 427 SOHC - Cammer engine kit (item 320223499709 end time Mar-11-08 06:51:18 PDT)

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I purchased a new Dove Tunnel Wedge intake years ago. The retailer I bought it from at Carlisle, PA told me the unit I purchased was one of just a few that he found to be acceptable, among a group of intakes he received from Dove. He said he sent 1/2 of them back.

My intake was a bear to dial in. My engine ran very lean for weeks. I changed jets, set and reset mixture screws, and couldn't adjust the carbs to correct the problem. I feared I was gonna toast some pistons.

I removed the intake and took it to an engine shop. The mechanic set it on top of a bare 427 block on a work bench at eye level. We found the problem. The intake did not seat on the heads because it was contacting the block. It was raised somewhere near .050" which prevented the intake gasket from compressing. I ground off a lot of excess metal from each intake port of the manifold, and eventually created a good match between intake, heads and block.

The hole for the distributor has never been a good match. The rubber gasket for the distributor shaft is always slightly deformed because of an alinement irregularity, and eventually leaks oil.

I've spoken with other folks that own Dove pieces. Our stories are similar.

Would I purchase a nearly entire engine composed of pieces cast by Dove? Instead, I'd spend my dollars at Keith Craft's shop for a wedge-head motor that will make more power, comes with a guarantee, and costs less.

This is just one ole boy's opinion.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 03-05-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I guess I'm lucky, I bought a 2x4 T-wedge from dove as well, nary a problem.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dove has been plaqued over the years with casting porosity and dimensional irregularities. Their innovation is superb but their manufacturing processes stop short and leave a lot to be desired.

Dave
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 S/O View Post
I guess I'm lucky, I bought a 2x4 T-wedge from dove as well, nary a problem.
That intake cost about $750.00. It's good that your purchase was a positive one. There are probably many others that experienced similar good luck. However, just 2 weeks ago I looked at a new Dove 2x4 Tunnel Wedge owned by a friend that required welding and milling because of fitment problems. I asked him about his distributor alinement. He said, "It leaks."

Are you willing to gamble on the integrity of a $17 - 20,000 engine?

I've heard unsolicited comments from more than one engine builder regarding Dove fitment, core shifting and the like. Those comments date from the 1990's to present.

David

Last edited by 601HP; 03-05-2008 at 07:08 AM..
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

I have a tunnel wedge and it has no leaks...the only problem I had was the front water jacket on the gasket let go and had to replace the gasket. No fuel delivery issues or improper seating. Guess I was lucky also.

Tom
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gessford Machine has found that a large number of various intakes have a problem with alignment on the distributor hole. Seems like it's an occasional problem on ANY brand. He has a fix for it, some machining required.

My original 1964 2X4 intake fits perfectly and the dist lines up nicely.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Excaliber;My original 1964 2X4 intake fits perfectly and the dist lines up nicely.[/QUOTE]

Wel.... how else would an original fit???

Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point! I guess that means the 'after market' guys are still playing 'catch up' to make them fit since 1964.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #726 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Lots of stuff is available from other sources if you really have the urge to put one together. Don't try to put one together on a budget; it will only bite you in the end.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I have been watching this cammer deal as well to see if a lot of the problems have been solved. It would be great if all of this stuff works because a lot people have put their money up. I have had to fix all sorts of stuff with after market parts because my name ends up on the engine. I have helped every FE block manufactuer work out their blocks and some of their heads. We get the new stuff to tell them what is wrong and needs fixed. I guess this is why they call it custom, performance engine building but can be a problem when you as the engine builder is held responsible for the end product. This is why we pressure check all new blocks we get and a lot of the heads we get before and after working on them. The block Dove is making would scare me to death from past experiences. Maybe they have it all worked out now. Good luck
Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"The block Dove is making would scare me to death from past experiences. Maybe they have it all worked out now. Good luck"

Bingo.
David

Last edited by 601HP; 03-06-2008 at 01:54 PM..
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Single plane manifold from Dove

I have a single plane MR from dove. Except for the 10 month wait and 2 trips out to Ohio to get it, The manifold was fine. I did some cleanup on the ports for the coolant and match port the intake runners. Joe Craine does and excellent job of balancing all the ports to within 5-7cfm. This way all the cylinders are getting the same load of fuel and air. Bolted right on my Shelby motor.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That Shelby motor blow out the rear seal yet?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Which real seal??

Excaliber The rear main seal has leaked since day 1. It's like a BIG DOG marking it's yard. As for the intake, it's as dry as your hair. I used RTV and let it set for 24 hours just like the Japanese auto makers. No leaks from the top. GM now sell this RTV at $40.00 for a small tube. How's your pineapple wine coming?? Rick L
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dove didn't deliver my intake in what I consider a reasonable time, so I wrote a stern letter asking they send it ASAP because they had my money for 6 weeks!, got it the following week.