Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

True, we're not talking about pizza, we're talking about something much more complicated!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

With all this talk, you could have installed the cam already.

Just install the cam.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
No, I am not a master engine builder, and neither are you!

I am smart enough, however, to listen to these guy's opinions.

You are seeking opinions from knowlegeable individuals and choosing to ignore it.

Build the engine the way you want.

But have the cojones to tell us how much you hate it after you decide to replace or sell it because it has no street manners.

Gentlemen,

I am not sure how many of you are interested in this thread. It has been a long and confusing experience.

I got word on Monday that my car was ready for me to try. The the gentlemen working on the car told me that it was running AWSOME!!!!!

Yes, there a one point which we discussed moving to TWM ..etc. However, I need some proof that there was a problem with the carbs inorder to justifiy the added expense of the EFI.

After our discussion on Monday I asked him to take it for a drive for drivablility. I received a phone once again with him saying " that car was perfect." He explained to me that 1st gear was a waste of time and engaging 2nd you would have to let the tires catch traction and slowly ease the throttle for 2nd gear. If you aggressively engage the throttle it would light the tires up once again.

I told him that I would believe it after I drove it.

Well Last night I drove the car, and I am extremely happy. On start up, it starts right up with out a problem. I did not even hit the pedal to prime it. I let the motor idle for about 2-3 min. and he told me to take it for a drive. With the temp gauge indicating about 100 degrees I moved off and began to drive the car. I pulled out on the street and noticed the car did not studder, spit , cough , or anything. It drove like a car should. As I approached the light I decided to blip the throttle and wow what a clean crisp sound.

After reaching normal operating temp. of 185 -190 I hit the gas part throttle and a smile from ear to ear. This car would break the tires loose easly at about 30 mph. I thought to myself this is scary.

The reason for me following up with this post is not prove anything to anybody (well not really ) but normally these threads never have a followup to what happen.

Well I am very happy to say that I am extremly happy with the out come of my project. I still need to replace the stacks on the carbs to the normal height and replace my holders to 120 to lean out the idle (recommended by Chuck) but it is perfect the way it is.

I would like to thank you guy especially the ones that have called me to discuss my setup. Also, Chuck / Tim over at Inglese with the cam selection. And also, Junior over at Powered By Junior.

Junior gave me the attention that my car needed. From a complete rebuild 427 SO motor to fine tuning of the Weber carbs. This gentleman took his time and managed to come through as he mentioned since day one. He disassembled the motor and inspected all the parts to make sure everything was in good order. At the end he provided me with a FULL build sheet Balanced and Blueprinted included a step by step document (which I created) for the adjustments of the Webers.

It is nice to know that there are still honest people that car for your vehicle as there own.

By the way, I used the cam!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Congrats, sounds like you are a happy man. Glad everything worked out the way you wanted it to! Can't beat that.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Good luck with the car and motor

Priobe Good luck with the car and motor. Don't get cranky but what did they use for the adjustments of the webers? A/F meter? Where all the EGT readings within 100f of each other? Not sure what the temp is in your state but would like to hear about how the car is running with a 30-40 degree drop in air temp. I hope you have good filters and screens to keep the junk out of the motor. Again good luck with the car Rick L. Ps You may be setting a new front than running a larger cam with webers is doable under the right conditions.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I really did not speak specifics. How ever he did mention that he used my Wide band and a temp gun for the EGT. The wide band gave a reading of 12.0 at idle ( need to replace the 100 holders with 120) and cruise was 12.5. Wide open was at 11.8.

The response is unbelieveable. smooth and crisp.

He did mention that when we get our cold front, which dips to the 60's it might run rich but do not touch it.

Our temp here is 90 % hot 88 -100. My drive yesterday was at night around 85 degrees (it rained earlier that day to cool down the temp)

As far as filters I will use the stocking from Inglese which are not that great and have to becareful from there.

He mentioned that we could have gone with a little bigger cam but is very happy with this selection.

I am happy with the selection as well. I personally dont care for a bigger cam than what I have.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by priobe View Post
The reason for me following up with this post is not prove anything to anybody (well not really ) but normally these threads never have a followup to what happen.

Well I am very happy to say that I am extremly happy with the out come of my project. ---

I would like to thank you guy especially the ones that have called me to discuss my setup. Also, Chuck / Tim over at Inglese with the cam selection. And also, Junior over at Powered By Junior.

Junior gave me the attention that my car needed. From a complete rebuild 427 SO motor to fine tuning of the Weber carbs. This gentleman took his time and managed to come through as he mentioned since day one. He disassembled the motor and inspected all the parts to make sure everything was in good order. At the end he provided me with a FULL build sheet Balanced and Blueprinted included a step by step document (which I created) for the adjustments of the Webers.

It is nice to know that there are still honest people that car for your vehicle as there own.
Maybe the reason he spent alot of time with you is that you paid him some money?

Enjoy your car.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

When the temp getas cooler the carbs will get leaner not richer. Probably should have tuned with the air filters that you will run because they alone can change the tune. We see about a 30 to 40 HP drop with the filters installed on the Webber carbs, they richen them up by restricting the air. Everybody I know has to tune on them pretty regularly and I let them know this up front. I do not want them mad at me when they have to play with them when the weather changes a little. When right they do run well and the camshaft is pretty important for sure. Good luck, Keith
Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a 427FE in my Cobra running 10:1 compression. I've always said that the next time I rebuild, I'm going 11 or 12:1. You can't substitute the power and sound of high compression. If it's not an everyday car, then you can afford the high octane gas. I'd also run a big Demon carb.

Good luck,

Ron
Old 06-12-2008, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

You should be working with a tuner that has a sniffer and a chassis dyno if you intend to use the IDA's.

I think the cam is way too huge and Injection may get you better response and tunability. the FE parts are pricey, but once you start messing with webbers; the costs escalate.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

priobe, THANKS for providing an update to this thread! I hope we will see more of that in the future from other users, always nice to know what the outcome was.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

Again, I am still waiting for the 120 holders and taller (mine are 1 1/2) air stacks. We are planning to schedule a dyno session once all the parts are in and we feel that the car is running its best from what we can do.

Keith,

Thank you for the correction in regards to the mixture and cold weather. Lucky for me, the temp does not change that much in FL / miami.

I do have to say maybe my situation was a rare case. I tried dealing with these carbs for about 8 months to get them right. I was under the assumption that I was working with a good engine. Of course that what the engine builder continuly told me. DON'T TOUCH THE ENGINE. If I would have listened to him I would not be as happy as I am with the out come. After finding out that I had a broken piston ring and had the engine rebuilt to what I wanted originally everything fell into place.

Panavia,

If you like, send me an email or PM me. I am curious as to hearing why you say the cam is way too big for my setup.