Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yes, I read that. So you would now give the nod to QT over Lakewood?
Patrick,

The Quicktime bell housing is virtually all I sell now, you just can't beat them truthfully. They weight less, cost less, have tighter tolerances, and they past the same SFI tests. But to be truthful you can't put a price on safety, which is not an issue with these bells, what really sold me on Quicktime was being able to talk to Ross directly and the customer service they provide. He is very knowledgeable in his product and they are always designing new housings to meet the needs of todays customers. To top it all off the way they are designed and the mere look of them is awesome, they have to be the neatest looking housing on the market. I have been dealing with the Cobra Market for almost five years and if I have learned one thing it's most owners want something different than everyone else, and the Quicktime Bell housing is exactly that.

jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for clearing up the questions

QUICKTIME Ross,Thanks for explaining the certified issue. In the future I hope you come out with a certified bell for an FE with a G-force 5 speed. There are many people running the 5 spds because of the overdrive 5th gear. On my next motor if you are certified by then I may try your bellhousing with a streettwin for Mcleod. My MAIN concern is safety, and the wording used for your bellhousing is questionable. Your bell design looks like the orginial cobra NHRA bellhousing. I don't care if your bell housing is 20 pounds lighter, (this is a nice thing) but that it can contain a flywheel explodsion. There are guys driving cobras and other FE motors that are making 700+ HP and running 4 spd trans. Having all them certified would have stopped this thread on the first page. Like you said down the road, have only certified bellhousings IMO is the only way to go. If you can aford a cobra and a built FE motor, the little extra money is a mute issue or foolish for someone saving a dollar on safety. This will have everybody sleep better and not every worry about loosing a leg or toes. Ross in the future how about coming on here and tell us what is new, updated designs for things, and the correct numbers for motor and trans combo and if there are any modifications needed for the install. You would have to go in the manufacture area and any info would help us all. Rick Lake, possible future owner of a quicktime bellhousing.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default QuickTime

Here you go. After a few cool beverages late tonight we have decided to build a SFI version for the RM-6056 (FE to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5) if we have a good response in the next few days. This will be a RM-6056-SFI. It will be available the first part of June (5 weeks). Who needs sleep.

As far as new products, we have developed over 40 new housings in the last year alone. We are currently working on a few new manual bells to complete our manual line:
-5 bolt Ford housing to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5 (RM-6062)
-460 BB Ford to a T56 Viper (RM-8051)
-Chevy LS1 97-04 c5 auto/05-08 C6 auto (RM-8035)
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to T56 Viper
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to T56
In addition we will have a full line of automatic housings (SFI 30.1) for the 4L60E, AOD, Powerglide and C4 to most domestic V8's available mid summer. Later this fall our plans are to work on the 4 and 6 cylinder bells.

Our business plan is to build what people ask for and need. Some make no business sense, they just help people out and are fun to build. We hope that people will support our quest in the process. As a drag and circle track racer for over 30 years I understand the importance of quality, safety, weight, price, and not having to spend hours making the product fit. More importantly the balance of all of these.

FYI, the RM-6056 won the SEMA 2007 media award for best new product. We feel that we have a unique product that is the best value available. Thanks for your interest in QuickTime products.

Ross McCombs
President
QuickTime www.quicktimeinc.com
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I would very interested, but I still have an unopened and unused non-SFI QT bell that I bought a couple months ago for my upcoming Kirkham build.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKTIME View Post
Here you go. After a few cool beverages late tonight we have decided to build a SFI version for the RM-6056 (FE to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5) if we have a good response in the next few days. This will be a RM-6056-SFI. It will be available the first part of June (5 weeks). Who needs sleep.

As far as new products, we have developed over 40 new housings in the last year alone. We are currently working on a few new manual bells to complete our manual line:
-5 bolt Ford housing to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5 (RM-6062)
-460 BB Ford to a T56 Viper (RM-8051)
-Chevy LS1 97-04 c5 auto/05-08 C6 auto (RM-8035)
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to TKO 600/500, TR3550, Mustang T5
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to T56 Viper
-6.1 Hemi Mopar to T56
In addition we will have a full line of automatic housings (SFI 30.1) for the 4L60E, AOD, Powerglide and C4 to most domestic V8's available mid summer. Later this fall our plans are to work on the 4 and 6 cylinder bells.

Our business plan is to build what people ask for and need. Some make no business sense, they just help people out and are fun to build. We hope that people will support our quest in the process. As a drag and circle track racer for over 30 years I understand the importance of quality, safety, weight, price, and not having to spend hours making the product fit. More importantly the balance of all of these.

FYI, the RM-6056 won the SEMA 2007 media award for best new product. We feel that we have a unique product that is the best value available. Thanks for your interest in QuickTime products.

Ross McCombs
President
Kudos! Outstanding customer service!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Group hug

Patrickt See Pat, I'm now happy, Undy's has Kudos, all the questions where answered. All it took was a baseball bat to get to the bottom and 1/2 Irish,1/2 German. I think Ross just sold 5-10 more bell housings. Thanks again Ross. OK what and who's next. Rick L.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Patrickt See Pat, I'm now happy...
Rick, if you're happy, then I'm happy....
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     

Ross,
Can I ask a dumb question? I have one of your bellhousing it is the one for the FE and it is the one made for the toploader, even though I'll be using it with a Tremec 600 (due to the short input shaft for my Kirkham build).

My question is this: I know your bellhousings are strong enough for my application, but I was surprised to see that my bellhousing came without a cover for the starter/flywheel area and same for the clutch fork area. What is supposed to be used in these areas to make sure they are covered securely and safely in case of a clutch failure? Let me know if I should have received something or if you offer a solution for these areas.
Thank you,
Todd

Last edited by franklin; 04-23-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So it appears that Quicktime does NOT make a SFI "Certified" bellhousing that is NHRA legal for a FE-Toploader application, correct? On my 10.0 ET, 132mph 428 powered Fairmont, having a part that supposedly "passed all SFI testing" without the required dated SFI certified 6-1 sticker really in no "better" in the eyes of a Tech inspector than a stock bellhousing. To me, it appears that Lakewood is the only scattershield that is currently legal to use at a NHRA sanctioned drag strip, behind a Ford FE engine. If Quicktime ever decided to market a real SFI certified bellhousing, that was considerably lighter than the Lakewood, I would imagine that virtually every FE Stock and Super Stock racer would buy one, not to mention all the FE bracket racers and street/strip guys. I think that Quicktime is underestimating the need for such a piece. At least 5 9 or low 10 second FE 4 speed cars competed at our local track last year, and a couple more are under construction. All with Jerico DR4 transmissions, which work with the Lakewood bellhousing.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Yard Dog FFR 521, 572 Fire Ant Mongrel Cobra 393, 566, Boss 600 hemi , RCR40 #13 348
Not Ranked     

Quicktime - please explain this to me - I know this is the FE board, but indulge me. I purchased one of your housings for a 460 to T600 - claimed to have passed SFI testing. The area where the starter mounts had a hole that my fist would easily pass through, IN THE PLANE OF THE FLYWHEEL. Exactly how does this pass any containment requirement? Sent it back and bought another Lakewood - at least, with some work, it will do the job.....
Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

I guess before this goes further let's think about the fact that the cut required on the Lakewood is on the bottom flange which is bolted to a flimsy block plate that ain't containing anything. However this portion of the housing is protecting... asphalt. Not to mention there's a nice big hole for the clutch fork aimed in the direction of the driver's family jewels...

I have my doubts there are many Cobra's here running engines remotely close to powerfull enough to blow a flywheel.

I think either will be fine and you can skip indexing if you don't mind wrecking your clutch.

"That's all I got to say about that." - Gump
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Ronbo,
Are you going to swing by for the festivities Friday? We'll be at a friends business (Fire Fighters Equipment Co.- 5638 Commonwealth Ave). Give me a call if you need directions.
John
P.S. He mentioned having some cool fire suppression gear for racing.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default QuickTime

SFI allows a cutout for starter clearance as well as fork clearance. The argument is that the starter, when installed, will fill the hole and contain any failure suffiently. We have covers for the SBF currently (RM-6060-SC) and the FE and 460 covers will be completed in the next couple of weeks and offered as an accessory. These covers will give the housing a more finished look. The covers will bolt through the starter bolt holes from the backside and will adapt to any housings we currently have in the field. From a design standpoint, the openings allow for air flow to help cool the clutch package and can be used for clutch adjustments and inspection with the starter removed, most people do not see it as a big issue. We continue to make changes and improvements to make the product as flexable as possible. It is diffucult at best to design the perfect housing that will fit everyones needs because of the various applications. We have done our best to supply such a housing and are prepared to change if a better idea comes along.

Thanks again for your interest in QuickTime products.
Ross McCombs
President
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ross. We always appreciate responses from manufacturers to questions raised by our members.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
I guess before this goes further let's think about the fact that the cut required on the Lakewood is on the bottom flange which is bolted to a flimsy block plate that ain't containing anything.

On the block plate.. The block plate rests on the same plane that the flywheel explosion would follow, hence no direct impingement on the block plate from any flywheel/clutch debris. The explosion will go out radially and contact the bell housing, maybe ricocheting into the block plate somewhat. At that point most of the energy/inertia will have been expended. The 1/8" thick block plate "should" contain virtually any catastrophic failure and protect the back of the block. At any rate the block plate, what ever the thickness, shouldn't provide any safety risk.

Dave
Old 04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     

Thank you Ross for the Starter Cover updates. That is great news, please keep us posted when it is available.
Todd
Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SFI-FE to TKO/TR3550/Mustang T5 Bellhousing

The FE to TKO/TR3550/Mustang T5 Bellhousings (RM-6056-SFI) will be ready to ship on Friday of next week. This will be SFI @ 6.1. New model in 16 days-----Enjoy.

Ross McCombs
President
Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Patrickt, Man your car is clean- absolutly beautiful. Thanks for the picture it reminds me of my old Butler No 88. I cut mine just like that.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKTIME View Post
The FE to TKO/TR3550/Mustang T5 Bellhousings (RM-6056-SFI) will be ready to ship on Friday of next week. This will be SFI @ 6.1. New model in 16 days-----Enjoy.

Ross McCombs
President

Outstanding Ross! My next FE's arse will be graced with one of your bellhousings..

Now how about a SFI FE to a T56?

Dave
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default QuickTime Bellhousngs

The part # for the SFI FE to T56 is an RM-8040. It has been in production for several months. Also the starter pocket covers for the FE's (Rm-6056-sc) and 460's (RM-8010-sc) are complete and ready to ship.

Ross McCombs
President
QuickTime www.quickTimeinc.com