Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     
Default powermaster alternators

I'm trying to pick a Powermaster alternator for my FE 482 build. Looking through the various models that Summit offers, there appears to be two case styles for the FE...Powermaster custom and Ford 1G. The Powermaster custom style appears to be larger in "depth" than the Ford 1G style.

Does the larger dimensions of the custom style cause any interference problems? How about pulley offset for belt alignment? Thanks.

phil
Old 08-02-2008, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Look at MAD alt or PA Performance

philminotti Phil what's UP??? Phil take a look at these other companies before you go with powermasters. I stock 70 amp Ford one will work also. Rick L.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You can spend unnecessary $$ for reboxed and rebranded Alternators. Buy a "New" one from NAPA or OEM Ford (Motorcraft) after researching prices and be done with it. Remanufactured electricals sold at most parts houses (not suggesting this unless You do the remanufacturing) are often just cleaned and "Tested" for output voltage, without regard for replacement of bearings, wear on the commutator and or brushes. The vendors then play the %'s on returns. This is why you so often hear of folks having to return them more than once before they get a "Good" one.
Another option if you have access to a good electrical shop is to get a used one at the wreckers, (inexpensive, and THEY guarantee them to at least be working), completely disassemble it, thouroughly clean the cases; (bead blasting works well for this) replace bearings, check commutator for wear (have it turned on a lathe if necessary) and replace the brushes, and or internal regulator regulator. You will then be assured of a very good working item that YOU can be confident of, AND save some $$$ at the same time. It is easy work.
I paid $10.00 for this one at the wreckers. It was out of a 63 Mercury (42 amp) and is correct for 289 Cobra.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 08-02-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Old 08-02-2008, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
I'm trying to pick a Powermaster alternator for my FE 482 build. Looking through the various models that Summit offers, there appears to be two case styles for the FE...Powermaster custom and Ford 1G. The Powermaster custom style appears to be larger in "depth" than the Ford 1G style.

Does the larger dimensions of the custom style cause any interference problems? How about pulley offset for belt alignment? Thanks.

phil
Phil,

I have the deeper Powermaster alternator (100A 1 wire) on my 482 FE. It will not fit with the standard 1V pulley setup. What you need to do if you want to use the bigger alternator is to get a 2V pulley set and then use spacers to shim out the mounting points on alternator to fit. I had the unused groove machined off the top pulley to improve the appearance of the final setup. If you look closely, you can see the results in these pictures. The pulleys and brackets came from March.

Hope this helps.

- Fred
Old 08-02-2008, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred- I was hoping you'd reply, as I vaguely remembered something about your cut-down water pump pulley. I already bought my fancy-pants March single-groove pulleys, so I'm hoping to use a standard depth alternator. However, I'm using Mass-flo injection, and may need more than 60A. Not sure about that yet.

Rick P - I'll look into some of the other manufacturers. I'm going for the "anti-chrome" engine look, but I'd like something a bit more attractive that OEM.

Hi Rick L - Got my Victor EFI manifold ported by Joe Craine per your suggestion. It's a gem...almost a shame to cover up the beautiful runners!

Thanks for the input.
phil
Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Phil,
Go to your local rebuild house with your core or part # and tell them about your issues. Most of these shops have a gold mine of knowledge and parts to build whatever you need. I ask them to build me the perfect alt. and to tweak for max output at the lowest RPM they can get and of course will pay for the extra labor time. I have aftermarket injection ECM controlled and it hates low voltage or sags. I simply do not care if it takes a little extra HP to run a high amp alt. as it keeps everything running at spec. I would rather have an overdriven pulley for these reasons. None of this is needed on meek n mild cars but doubt that Pond is either.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

I bought a new (rebuilt) alternator from Auto Zone for $40 with core and a lifetime warranty.

If you're not going for a chrome/billet look, I'm not sure why you'd want to spend more?

Most cobras don't have AC or a lot of accessories, so you don't need the extra amps.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 427FE stroked to 482CI
Not Ranked     
Default I bought a ford

3g Alternator which has the exact same mounting points as the ford 1g(small case). The ford 3g(small case) is used on newer mustangs and Tauras'. The nice thing about the 3g is that it puts out 130 amps, at idle it puts out 70 amps. I bought a new 1 wire unit from http://www.paperformance.com/Scripts/default.asp

Last edited by STEVE POTTS; 08-02-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve. I think that's just what I was looking for.

phil
Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     
Smile

i am currently running a 3g alternator 90 amp alternator on my 342 stroker that i bought from ford motorsport. ford motorsport no longer sells them. i purchased a brand new 3g 95 amp alternator with the 1v pulley for 169.00 that i will be using on my 445fe stroker. the company is called pa performance they are located in boyertown pa phone 610-367-0770
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Rick is absolutely correct!, I give a thumbs down to those funny looking batteries as well.
My walley world battery is going on 5 years........

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
Fred- I was hoping you'd reply, as I vaguely remembered something about your cut-down water pump pulley. I already bought my fancy-pants March single-groove pulleys, so I'm hoping to use a standard depth alternator. However, I'm using Mass-flo injection, and may need more than 60A. Not sure about that yet.

Rick P - I'll look into some of the other manufacturers. I'm going for the "anti-chrome" engine look, but I'd like something a bit more attractive that OEM.

Hi Rick L - Got my Victor EFI manifold ported by Joe Craine per your suggestion. It's a gem...almost a shame to cover up the beautiful runners!

Thanks for the input.
phil
Hi Phil,

Well I just tried to install my alternator back on the motor now that its in the car and it hits the chasis. This is not due to the alternator but to the way ERA does the support struts and suspension mounts on their frame. They make a special alternator bracket to solve these problems (the stock 1G alternator would not have fit either). I'm going to get these parts next week and I'll let everyone know how this works out.

- Fred
Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Fred. I had the same problem with fitting up the Ford alternator. I had to use ERA's custom bracket, which was in one of the boxes delivered with my Cobra. I didn't even know it was there before Doug told me. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a quick update on my work to get a 100A Powermaster Alternator to work in my ERA. After getting ERA's offset bracket, I was able to adapt my 100A 1-wire Powermaster alternator to the setup. I have a Shelby aluminum water pump which forced me to fabricate custom spacers and brace bars to get everything to fit properly with my water pump. I used a set of March 2V (dual grove) pulley set with an overdrive water pump pulley. I had a local machinist remove the rear groove on the water pump pulley to improve the appearance of the final setup. I have about 1/2" of cleareance at the back of my alternator with this setup and after a trip to the local auto parts store to find an appropriate length belt, I am in business.

I am going to remove all of the parts tomorrow to machine some custom length aluminum spaces and have all of the support brackets chrome plated. Should look pretty nice when its all done.

- Fred
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

looks nice now, well done