Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I posted a response to a thread about this guy in the Lounge a couple weeks back.

As for 428-->482, I'm not sure how he's getting there. With a 4.160" bore, he would need a 4.43 stroke to get to 482.

He may be able to put engines together, but he's not an engine builder.
brent you should tell the whole truth not just enough to start drama.you bought a block from me that you took to another shop and had bored by them,finding a pin hole in one of the cylinders i refunded your money,which was more than fair under the circumstances.i appreciate what some of the readers have said here,having built and sold over 150 engines all being FEs,in last 2 years alone,send them all over the world,ill let my name as well as my skills stand on the reputation that has been built.its clear you have no understanding of machine work or engine building from your thread and look to create drama for the other readers,you sure didnt mind just a week or two ago to contact me for help on an item,so i suppose in your mind our past dealings are fine,until its time to throw some mud.i am truly sad you feel that way,i thought you were a fellow christian as i am and a brother in christ and as such would have no place in defaming anyone.as for all you other readers,you only need to email me from our web site with any question at any time and ill be forthcoming in answering you honestly and fairly as this is how Pops does business.as for the 482-it is a 4.190 bore with a 4.375 stroke,as an engineer,brent should have figured that out relitivly easy.the cylinder walls on all service blocks(428 only)are thicker than the standard block.i have dozens of sonic test to show it to be true.not the rib block but a true 428 service block.the 4.190 is the maximum safe bore you can go with these blocks.also,just a note for the readers,our shop has several hundered thousand dollors worth of equipment as well as machinest with over 20 years experience behind them.most of my time these days is in R & D,as well as short block building.greg stout is our head machinest and performs most of all the machine work,anyone is welcome to stop by at anytime to see us as well as our brand new dyno facility.oh,and yes we sweep the floor before we bore(lol).i hope i have not offended anyone on this site and i would honor the opportunity to speak with any one by phone or email.i am not a big fan of forums and usualy do not participate,however,under the circumstances i felt compelled to set the record straight.someone also asked about the 2.25 and 1.75 valves in the heads,we run these in most of our strokers in the edelbrock head.everyone have a blessed day.

Last edited by pop66ltd; 10-28-2008 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: spellcheck
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If it were me I'd sure be interested in the specific sonic results of any 428 bored 0.060" over, not a so called representative set of results that should indicate that a particular catagory of blocks "should" be capable of accepting a 0,060 over bore. The service blocks had just as much problems with core shifting as any other 428 block. I've seen very few 428s that could accept a 0.060" bore without severely compromising "reliable" cylinder wall thickness. The only thing the service blocks had over the "ordinary" 428 was their increased "cobra jet" style webbing.

This is not meant to throw any stones at an engine builder, just my thoughts on what's said.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

First of all, yes being an engineer, I figured out what bore and stroke it would take to get to 482. Second of all, I wouldn't buy a 428 that's been bored .060" over. I was hoping to give you the benefit of the doubt by saying it was a 4.160" bore and a custom stroke.

In an earlier post on this thread, I did mention that everyone has to start out somewhere, so for another benefit of the doubt, I did email you about a block the other day. However, I would never buy anything machined, checked, magnafluxed, or sonic tested from you again. I've bought two machined/tested blocks from you, unfortunately I saw enough in them to deem them unacceptable.

As for not telling the whole story, here it is:

I contacted you over Ebay about a fully machined block, probably about 3 years ago. I paid for and picked up the block. When I got it home, I noticed that there was no crosshatch in the cylinders. (See, I do know something about machining...) I contacted you about it, and even though you said it would be fine, I asked that you would give me enough money back so that I could take the block to another shop and have it correctly honed. You did give me money back without hesitation, so I took it to another machine shop. As I was loading the block back in the Explorer, the sun hit perfectly on it and a nice crack stood out by a freeze plug. I still dropped the block off and told them that before they honed it, they should re-magnaflux it (this was supposed to have been done at your shop). Sure enough, it was cracked.

I brought that block back to you, you gave me my money back, and I bought another bare block from you (I know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....). You said that it had been sonic tested and would be fine to take the overbore that I was planning. I dropped that block off at the machine shop and on the first pass, there were indeed pinholes that showed up that showed that the wall was thin. It was to the point where the block needed to be sleeved.

I once again took that block back to you, got my money back, and then snagged a fully machined block from Keith Craft.

That is the whole story, and I'm pretty sure that I have all the emails saved from the discussions between us.

I've seen your products enough for me to warn others. I hate to see people spend hard earned money these days and not get what they want.

I would buy untouched blocks and untouched original parts from you, but buying a machined block, or a fully assembled engine is a different story.

BTW, I don't make a living as an engine builder (nor would I want to), but I can post 4-5 dyno videos of some engines that I have assembled here in the past few years for myself and for others. So not only do I know a little about machining, I know a little about assembling too.

Last edited by blykins; 10-28-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Hello all, I've been reading these forum pages for years & never felt compelled to actually post anything until now. I've had dealings & purchases from just about all the major players including Pops Performance. They have built me 2 engines, a 482 stroker & a 542 stroker. Both motors are fantastic. I can say the products & services from Pops Performance are of the highest quality. The pricing is fair & the customer service is far above other companies I have dealt with. They are serious Ford FE builders. Here in Upstate NY the FE Community sticks together. We need everyone to keep the FE spirit alive and well on the street & track. Best wishes to all, Fordzilla
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Hello all, I've been reading these forum pages for years & never felt compelled to actually post anything until now. I've had dealings & purchases from just about all the major players including Pops Performance. They have built me 2 engines, a 482 stroker & a 542 stroker. Both motors are fantastic. I can say the products & services from Pops Performance are of the highest quality. The pricing is fair & the customer service is far above other companies I have dealt with. They are serious Ford FE builders. Here in Upstate NY the FE Community sticks together. We need everyone to keep the FE spirit alive and well on the street & track. Best wishes to all, Fordzilla
You picked a bad time to start posting.

Some of the people posting on this thread are not only known to this forum for years, but they are also known personally from any number of events and meets. This is important for us (the people reading the posts) to develop an opinion on an issue based on our knowledge of the person posting, specific history and the information they are posting.

Post #1 and you decide to post an opinion on this thread after years?

I'm not even sure what the "FE spirit" is, and or what jeopardy it is in either on the street or the track.

Eric
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
First of all, yes being an engineer, I figured out what bore and stroke it would take to get to 482. Second of all, I wouldn't buy a 428 that's been bored .060" over. I was hoping to give you the benefit of the doubt by saying it was a 4.160" bore and a custom stroke.

In an earlier post on this thread, I did mention that everyone has to start out somewhere, so for another benefit of the doubt, I did email you about a block the other day. However, I would never buy anything machined, checked, magnafluxed, or sonic tested from you again. I've bought two machined/tested blocks from you, unfortunately I saw enough in them to deem them unacceptable.

As for not telling the whole story, here it is:

I contacted you over Ebay about a fully machined block, probably about 3 years ago. I paid for and picked up the block. When I got it home, I noticed that there was no crosshatch in the cylinders. (See, I do know something about machining...) I contacted you about it, and even though you said it would be fine, I asked that you would give me enough money back so that I could take the block to another shop and have it correctly honed. You did give me money back without hesitation, so I took it to another machine shop. As I was loading the block back in the Explorer, the sun hit perfectly on it and a nice crack stood out by a freeze plug. I still dropped the block off and told them that before they honed it, they should re-magnaflux it (this was supposed to have been done at your shop). Sure enough, it was cracked.

I brought that block back to you, you gave me my money back, and I bought another bare block from you (I know, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....). You said that it had been sonic tested and would be fine to take the overbore that I was planning. I dropped that block off at the machine shop and on the first pass, there were indeed pinholes that showed up that showed that the wall was thin. It was to the point where the block needed to be sleeved.

I once again took that block back to you, got my money back, and then snagged a fully machined block from Keith Craft.

That is the whole story, and I'm pretty sure that I have all the emails saved from the discussions between us.

I've seen your products enough for me to warn others. I hate to see people spend hard earned money these days and not get what they want.

I would buy untouched blocks and untouched original parts from you, but buying a machined block, or a fully assembled engine is a different story.

BTW, I don't make a living as an engine builder (nor would I want to), but I can post 4-5 dyno videos of some engines that I have assembled here in the past few years for myself and for others. So not only do I know a little about machining, I know a little about assembling too.
well brent,i am an engine builder,youve been to my house and my shops,you dont get where im at by being dishonest or untrust-worthy.i think your overstating some of your thread to make you look right and me wrong,but thats fine.you say you have built 4 or 5 engines?shouldnt you know for sure if it was 4 or 5,as for myself,im nearing 1000 in a 33 year span,i dont think to compare your 4 or 5 to me is worthy of a response.you seem to be a nice young man but you have no idea what a builder does,just like i dont know what you do when you build pool tables at your work,although im a pretty good pool player,that certainly does not make me an expert on building pool tables.so,no more slaming me here.i made it right with you when you had a problem,thats whats important.dont pretend on this site im some kind of bad person or have no idea what im doing,that by law is slander and defamation,a place you dont want to go.im done posting threads here and i will not respond to any more as ive stated my position.i wish all the members here great success on there cars and projects and welcome any real concern or question to be asked by a more appropriate mannor.i do want to say i realy like some of the cars you guys have as well as the engine combos,being a car guy ive been there done that sort of to say,but there is so much more today when it comes to engine combos than back in the day when i hot rodded.God bless.
Pops
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Hi Eric, Please accept my most humble apologies for posting. I didn't realize that my experiences didn't qualify to be heard. My Post was MY real experiences with them, not just some opinion. I didn't say anything was in jeopardy, I said "Here in Upstate NY the FE Community sticks together. We need everyone to keep the FE spirit alive and well on the street & track." That means exactly what it says & yes I believe you when you say "I'm not even sure what the "FE spirit" is". That statement is sad.
Most FE owners know exactly what it is. We are a group of Ford Fe owners/enthusiasts/sportsmen/competitors who encourage & support one another. I know there are numerous members here at Club Cobra that know exactly what I'm talking about. The forums (for the most part) prove this. When may I post again? I want to make sure my timing agrees with you.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

I would like to post for the first time here also. Is that a good thing right now?

fletch
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Eric, Please accept my most humble apologies for posting. I didn't realize that my experiences didn't qualify to be heard. My Post was MY real experiences with them, not just some opinion. I didn't say anything was in jeopardy, I said "Here in Upstate NY the FE Community sticks together. We need everyone to keep the FE spirit alive and well on the street & track." That means exactly what it says & yes I believe you when you say "I'm not even sure what the "FE spirit" is". That statement is sad.
Most FE owners know exactly what it is. We are a group of Ford Fe owners/enthusiasts/sportsmen/competitors who encourage & support one another. I know there are numerous members here at Club Cobra that know exactly what I'm talking about. The forums (for the most part) prove this. When may I post again? I want to make sure my timing agrees with you.
PM sent, decorum prevails.

E
Old 10-28-2008, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I have been here for almost ten years and I see no reason why anyone can't or shouldn't post here overall or on this thread. If they have good input with a fair and helpful intent, why not. This is not a closed environmant to anyone!

________
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfletch View Post
Hi all,

I would like to post for the first time here also. Is that a good thing right now?

fletch
Fletch,

Sure, why not start a new thread saying something like "I'm new to Club Cobra"?

You can list your Cobra spec's, or if you are wanting to buy a Cobra, what kind of engine you have or want, or need picking out. If we know where you are located, I am sure people here would let you know what local orginizations support your Cobra habit.

Or did you want to jump right in and give an opinion on this thread's topic, which is "How can this be done? 428 stroker to 482" ?

Eric
Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CobraEd,

Thank you , Sir.

Great Asp,

That is quite cordial of you, Sir. I'll just jump right in if that is okay with you.
I don't know any or either of the gentlemen who have the disagreement here. But, I will defer to any on the technical aspects. Seems to me given the presented data that both/all are right.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
I have been here for almost ten years and I see no reason why anyone can't or shouldn't post here overall or on this thread. If they have good input with a fair and helpful intent, why not. This is not a closed environmant to anyone!
Ed,
I agree 100%.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, if we're counting pennies, I suppose I'll correct myself and say that I've built 4, starting on #5. Under my belt, a 425W, a 428FE, a 355SBC, and a 445W. I'm starting on a 408C. Again, I'll reiterate that I'm not a professional engine builder, but I do quite well for myself and I can get down and talk nitty-gritty if the situation arises.

However, I don't see this being a numbers game. I'm a horrible golf player, but if I hit 5000 golf balls, I'd just be a horrible golf player with a sore arm.

For one thing, I wasn't slandering anyone, or attempting to commit deformation of character, so please don't threaten me in that fashion.

Someone asked about your products, so I gave my side of the story. To me, that's consumer awareness, something that we do everyday....i.e... "Would you buy gas from the gas station down the street? No, it's got water in it." I'm just stating facts, and again, they are facts, no opinions, no assumptions, no gossip.

Again, I didn't say you were dishonest or a bad person, I'm just stating my experiences. Yes, you made it right, but just because you made it right doesn't make the cracks in the block seal up and cylinders get thicker. If you'll notice, I even made some comments during the very beginning of this thread, that my experiences were some 3 years ago and things may have changed.

I agree, it's not good for either one of us to sit here and spin our wheels, but my opinion stands, and my testimony stands.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My posted conversation with Great Asp has been public so I prefer to keep it that way. Here is the "No Trolls" Private message he sent me:

No trolls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your experiences might count for something if we knew who you were, or how relevant your experiences are. Not knowing you, I would guess your apology is not so humble, see how that works? It's because I don't know you. You might be really knowledgeable, or you might just be buddies with Pops, how do I know? But I'd be willing to guess since it was your first post you have some kind of relationship with Pops.

You will have to understand something. This forum as well as others I frequent, always get some guy posting for the first time some opinion, complaint, or take a side in a thread. It always starts by trying to make their post relevant by saying something like "I've been reading these forum pages for years & never felt compelled to actually post anything until now" What I said was "You picked a bad time to start posting." and I still mean it.

If you think/thought your experiences were important, I suggest posting more often and getting involved with the members here so your voice will be relevant instead of inane. This is a great site for people who love these cars. If you are one of those people, great! Try posting about who you are, what kind of Cobra you drive and prefer, what type of oil you use, etc... If you started posting just to help someone with customer relation problems then go pound sand. I don't personally know blykns, but the guy has been on this forum for years posting information that has been helpful to a lot of people on here. If he had a problem with someone it means something to me.

I saw another troll jumped in asking if he can give his or her 2 cents. That person gets my same response.

I sent this as a PM since I don't want to get the thread off subject further.

Eric Brown < a real name

PS Spirit of the FE????? Come on
OK, Here is about me: I am a former Lawman. I was a Deputy Sheriff & a Federal Investigator (Military Police). Medical reasons ended that career in 1992. I am a disabled Veteran & an American Legion Past Commander. I frequent the military.com website for my daily news & do post occasionally there. My user id is OFANDFORTHETROOPS. Your welcome to go there & read my Bio. I have written several articles & a book on Antique Firearms. My interests are Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Antique Weaponry, & performance Fords. I have owned countless Big & Small Block Ford performance vehicles through the years. (Drag & Muscle Cars) I currently have a 1967 Mustang Coupe & a 1969 Mustang Fastback.
Yes, I have a relationship with Pops Performance, I posted it in my initial post! They have built me 2 engines & the experiences have been very positive. But apparently according to Great Asp my voice is inane & I am a Troll. Well Great Asp, I don't know you but I didn't refer to you as a troll or your voice being inane. Is that how you welcome people here who post for the first time?? And Yes, I have read these posts for years & yes, that was my first post. I would bet there are numerous others who read without posting. More so then you can imagine. The forums are very interesting & alot of knowledge gets transmitted through them. I simply posted my experience since it was relevant to the discussion. And what's wrong about refering to the comaraderie of the FE as being the spirit of the FE? Regards, M.L. (My real initials)
Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr. Lykins

Thank you for your measured response. You have your opinion. No one can take that from you. It is what it is. I know I can do business with you. No hard felings.

Fordzilla,

Thank you for speaking up. It matters.

fletch
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK, Here is about me: I am a former Lawman. I was a Deputy Sheriff & a Federal Investigator (Military Police). Medical reasons ended that career in 1992. I am a disabled Veteran & an American Legion Past Commander. I frequent the military.com website for my daily news & do post occasionally there. My user id is OFANDFORTHETROOPS. Your welcome to go there & read my Bio. I have written several articles & a book on Antique Firearms. My interests are Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Antique Weaponry, & performance Fords. I have owned countless Big & Small Block Ford performance vehicles through the years. (Drag & Muscle Cars) I currently have a 1967 Mustang Coupe & a 1969 Mustang Fastback.
Yes, I have a relationship with Pops Performance, I posted it in my initial post! They have built me 2 engines & the experiences have been very positive. But apparently according to Great Asp my voice is inane & I am a Troll. Well Great Asp, I don't know you but I didn't refer to you as a troll or your voice being inane. Is that how you welcome people here who post for the first time?? And Yes, I have read these posts for years & yes, that was my first post. I would bet there are numerous others who read without posting. More so then you can imagine. The forums are very interesting & alot of knowledge gets transmitted through them. I simply posted my experience since it was relevant to the discussion. And what's wrong about refering to the comaraderie of the FE as being the spirit of the FE? Regards, M.L. (My real initials)
LOL, where to start and where to end.

Quote:
Yes, I have a relationship with Pops Performance
Doh!....really?, yuh think?

You joined CC on the same day you make your opinion in clearly a dispute between two men "that you were not involved in", and neither was I.

So I don't care how many motors you bought from him. You clearly like him, have a relationship with him, related to him? It doesn't matter.

"I sent this as a PM since I don't want to get the thread off subject further."

I don't care where else you post, you are now moving this thread off base by starting an internet argument with me. That is why I sent you a PM. You really don't get it do you?

Ex-lawman? So what, I'm the King of the Moon. You just broke the law of the internet posting a PM without cause. You are more interested in clearing Pops than posting on here, let's face it, or else you would have found something to post about a lot less volatile a long time ago. You couldn't sign up on here fast enough could you?

I'll greet people the same way when they post their first post on a topic like this without saying who they are and giving a point of reference. Just like you post what ever you want.

If you would have READ my PM you might have understood what my point was.

Just like Pops with blykins, you had a chance to work this out between us in private, but you thought calling me out was a better option, because you don't care about anyone else. I never said you were inane, I pointed out the difference to you.

Now we can have this:

Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric,

Please let it be known that Pops and I did work this out......3 years ago. I wanted my money back for the two blocks and he gladly gave it back.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Eric,

Please let it be known that Pops and I did work this out......3 years ago. I wanted my money back for the two blocks and he gladly gave it back.
LOL, you just did!

E
Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gosh, can anyone here just let it go? Peace?