Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     
Default Mech Fuel Pump; is anyone.........

Is anyone using the Edelbrock 1724 mechanical fuel pump on a FE? I'm interested in it because it has 3/8" fittings, most others have 1/4" or 5/16", from what I've seen. Per Edelbrock ads, it will support up to 600 hp. Rated for 6 psig w/o using a regulator. Ad sounds like it is intended specifically for Edelbrock carbs. From some old racers I know, they indicate that a Holley needs a little more psig at the needle seat than the Edelbrock carbs do. I am running Edel heads, intake, water pump, and maybe fuel pump, but I'm definitely running a Holley carb. Just wondering if anyone is using the 1724 pump w/Holley carb, and if you are satisfied or not. If not the Edel 1724, what mech fuel pump to use on an FE w/Holley??

Mine will be a 428/4.13 bore w/4.25 stroker = 455 c.u., 10:1 c.r. w/above mentioned parts + full MSD ignition. Still haven't decided on cam, but .580-.600 lift, lots of duration, etc........

thanks in advance for your replies/experience/knowledge!!

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Carter M6905

I have similar specs to what you're building. The most common pump (and the one I use) is the Carter M6905. Yes it has 1/4" NPT, but it's spec'd at 120GPH @ 6psi. I'm trying to remember the last post I read where somebody with an FE around our size had a fuel starvation issue with that pump and honestly I can't even remember one.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I use the adjustable pressure pump from RobbMc in Carson City.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...ordfe1100.html
Old 04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Yep, he makes very nice stuff indeed. His 550HP pump is "upgradeable" to the 1100HP version too, so you can start out small. On your build I think the smaller one would do just fine.

EDIT -- Remember WideGlide, builds like ours are going to be down in the mid to high 400s in horsepower once you strap on your pipes. Fuel starvation is just not going to be an issue. That's why I think the smaller RobbM. pump, or just the Carter, will be just fine for you.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-13-2009 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Was using this Carter 172 GPH NASCAR style pump and fuel pressure would still drop under acceleration. Not with the RobbMc pump. Saved me from having to go to an electric pump.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by afret View Post
Was using this Carter 172 GPH NASCAR style pump and fuel pressure would still drop under acceleration. Not with the RobbMc pump. Saved me from having to go to an electric pump.
Even that pump is 50% larger than the stock Carter -- are you sure you don't just have a massive gas leak in one of the lines?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I use mechanical pumps on engines that I build for buddies/customers. I've never used one on my own stuff though....I enjoy that electrical pump whine. Music to my ears.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     
Default Thank you for your replies!

Thanks everyone for the good info!

Patrickt, what solid cam are you running in your 447? And, you correctly mention "strapping on the pipes"........does anyone know how the Gas N stainless steel pipes compare to the others? I've heard that they're some quieter, but no mention of hp loss compared to others.

thanks again, I'm on a steep learning curve!!
Joe

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidejoe View Post
Patrickt, what solid cam are you running in your 447?
The classic "K" cam that was an option on the original side-oilers. It's a wonderful cam, but a bit "old-school." Here is a graph of the specs showing how I have it installed (slightly advanced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidejoe View Post
And, you correctly mention "strapping on the pipes"........does anyone know how the Gas N stainless steel pipes compare to the others? I've heard that they're some quieter, but no mention of hp loss compared to others.
My pipes are the "quieter pipes" from Stainless Specialities. A 450CID FE through side pipes, any side pipes, is going to be loud. Some of the high flow side pipes are so loud that you have to wear ear protection just to drive your car. I would rather give up some HP and have the car a little quieter (and you can hear my pipes from the link below).
Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

WIDEGLIDEJOE ; I have about the same set up 428 Keith Craft Stage Two heads , Eldelbrock pump, waterpump, Holley carb : installed the engine last year and have over 4000 miles trouble free to date. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Size of pickup in the gas tank?

WiideglideJoe Joe You can get a fuel pump that will support 1000HP IF it has a large supply line. The limit on your fuel pump will be how large the pickup is in the tank? This was a problem with many 1/4 mile race cars and dual carbs. NOT ENOUGH SUPPLY. 1000ft and the cars are running out of steam. Min size line is 3/8" and this has limits. This system would also be run with a electric pump in the back of the car. You will need and external regulator also. If the return line is run, buy a better regulator with return. This will stop surging in the lines and float jumping in the carb bowls. This doesn't happen alot but have seen motors get gas washed from the diaphams going bad, and the fuel leaks into the motor instead of out on the ground. IMO electric is a better setup. Toggle switch(hidden or anti thief) relay, fuse holder, and fuel pump with larger lines #8-#10. Do it once and forget it. Rick L.