Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #373,Shelby FE Alum Block #077, 488 stroker, Tunnel Port, Dual-TMP DP Holleys
Not Ranked     
Default FE valve lash hot vs cold

I have a alum Shelby block and Dove TP heads. I am running a Comp Cam solid roller and they specifiy .020 for lash and I am sure that is a hot spec, cam card does not say.

I always set my lash cold. Primarily because I am slow and the engine is cold by the time I get set up.

Question. Several guys here are running alum FE's with solid roller cam-probably even some with Comp Cam's Magnum roller, 308R.

What would the cold lash setting be if hot is .020. Expansion rates are differant for each block/head setup.

Comp cams will give me a big block Chebby best guess but I would like to see what the alum FE guys say.

-Ray
Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

When doing any alloy block/head builds I set initial cold lash at 0.015" then run motor up to full temp & recheck when hot. Now your cam card suggests 0.020" hot so say the hot lash checked out at 0.022" then we would know to set the cold lash @ 0.013" to arrive at a hot check of 0.020". Virtually every combo & application is different, so doing it like this and keep it that way for 'your car' makes it simple.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I'd set the lash at 0.010" cold to start with, and then recheck it when hot. But I bet it's going to be about 0.013" tighter when cold, so the lash would then be set at about 0.007" cold.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So in Jac's explanation, is .007" a good rule of thumb for the hot/cold variance?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, the 007" is not necessarily 'the' figure to use. Each application will vary to some degree and the FE alloy block/head combo could be expected to have a slightly larger variation due to the block height as compared to say a BBC for example. I gave the 0.015" cold setting as an example only. The main thing is to check for the 'difference' between hot/cold & allow for that when setting cold. Its a lot easier than doing them hot. I would expect the actual difference to be similar to Anthonys figure of 0.013" in real life.

Sort of precludes the idea of running some of the 'tight lash' cam, profiles we used in the past with clearances around 0.012"/0.015" hot- would make a preheater mandatory prior to start-up
Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With an iron block/ally head combination I have run .016 int., .018 exh cold. Never checked hot lash but I will. Mike LeFevers, who was at Shelby when I bought my heads suggested the cold spec and felt it would open up to about .023 / .025, which was the original cold spec of my Ultradyne cam. Has run fine for many years set this way. I check lash every season but only have to adjust 2 or 3 every 2nd or 3rd year.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I set my alloy engines up kinda scary tight when cold. Down around .003-.004. they open up to about .016-.018 hot.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Barry,
Does that make the cam "bigger"?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

I'm curious why the gap expands, the only thing I can think of is the valve face expands from combustion chamber heat? (pulling the valve farther into the chamber)

Is this correct? Just curious.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alloy expands at a greater rate than steel etc, in a pushrod motor the block/head will expand/grow while the pushrod stays much same creating most of the extra clearance, Plus the cyl head alone grows more than the length of the valve stem to create a bit more & in the case of the exh valve head dia growth also contributes slightly [ that valve head will also do the same on an iron head as well though, so not really relevant to this discussion ].
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like my solid rollers to be fairly tight lash. Seems to help them live longer in street/sorta street applications. I'm also kind of fond of roller springs with a narrow spread between open and closed pressures - the oval track Nextec stuff is a good example with seats in the middle 200s and only 600 open - at least 100 pounds less open than a true drag race spring.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

For what it is worth I set my lifters cold at .010 and then recheck them after warm up. My Comp Cam recommended gap is .018-.022 with Edelbrock Performener heads and vintage block. I am usually spot on .020 with that procedure and I usually check everything before going to the track or at least 4 or 5 times a year.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dyno test the motor

poboy427 Ray I run hydro lifters and have no worries and it's a shelby block and heads. These motor expand about .0012-.0015" from just heating up. Every motor has a sweet spot for power and adjustments. If you have the time, and money, go to a good dyno shop and do thw valve lash setup for what the motor wants. I agree with tight lash on a street motor. This will extend the life of the lifters and camshaft. This is also with a good oiling system that puts the oil where it needs to be. IMO idling a solid lifter cam is just killing the rollerwheel and needle bearing in the housing. Also the pushrod is being bounced back and forward between the lifter and adjuster on the rocker. If you are looking for the most power, run a wider lash. If you are looking for less maintainance run tighter. If your lifters are pressure oiling this will extend there life longer than not. Watch for any blueing on the pushrods. This is a sign of poor oiling to this important contact point. Who's rockers are you running and do you have limiters for the rockers in the heads. Make sure that the valve springs are at least 1/2 of the way in oil. This helps control the heat they produce. If you are running a HV oil pump, over fill the motor by 1 quart. It will not hurt anything. Limit your rpms to 6,500 or 6,700 rpms on your stroker motor. This will extend the life of the motor too. There is alot of weight spinning around in the bottom of that block. Rick L.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i would do what barry r said and set them on the tight side at least initially. too loose and they hit the sides of the lobe and miss the takeup ramp for lack of better terms.

my 351 block ex opened up about 8-9 thou on avg., int about a thou less.

idle in the 1000-1200 range will help the lifters live longer lives i've read. mine idles at 1200.