Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B
Not Ranked     
Default FE Timing

Guys I need your suggestions on possible timing problems with my FE. It's a Unilite dist. with a Mallory Hyfire. Vac. line is installed. Idle speeds run fine, up to about 3000, 3200 rpms. Timing is set at 35* total at 3000 rpms. Above 3000 engine starts to brakeup. The engine even at low rpms doesn't have a lot of crispness to it. It seems to run hard. Warm starts are hard starts on the starter. Are there any adjustments you can suggest.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, Keith Craft 496 Genesis, 649 hp, 668 ft-lb, TKO-600, Dynatek Stack EFI
Not Ranked     

Your 35* total timing was set with the vacuum line disconnected, wasn't it.

Brad W.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb169 View Post
Guys I need your suggestions on possible timing problems with my FE. It's a Unilite dist. with a Mallory Hyfire. Vac. line is installed. Idle speeds run fine, up to about 3000, 3200 rpms. Timing is set at 35* total at 3000 rpms. Above 3000 engine starts to brakeup. The engine even at low rpms doesn't have a lot of crispness to it. It seems to run hard. Warm starts are hard starts on the starter. Are there any adjustments you can suggest.
Ignition timing is a very small piece of the entire puzzle. There could be valve timing problems, loss of spark, fuel mixture issues... etc, etc.. Don't overlook the whole picture while focusing on one potential problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

vac. was disconnected. idles well, cold starts well, climbs to 3000 well after 3000 or so starts to pop in the exhaust. Engines new only 100 miles on it. built a a local guy that builts race motors for boats. If I can't get if right I'll take it back to him in the spring.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Is this at WOT?

Some things I would double check on the ignition side:

1. Double check firing order and plug wires for giggles.
2. Do you have a rev limiter? Any chance that it's set that low?
3. Moisture inside the distributor cap?

On the fuel side:

1. How do the plugs look? Are they fouled? Does it smoke?

When it pops do you feel it missing? Sometimes a pop in the exhaust is the result of a blown header gasket.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I used the Mallory centrifigal distribtor amd HyFire VI box It has the option of programing in the amount of ignition retard under 500 rpm (starting). I have initial set at 14°bftdc and have 10°plate in the distribitor = 20° totaling 34° bftdc. I have 10° retard so starting isn't a prpblem. I allso have the boxe's programable rev limiter set at 6,000 RPM for safety.

I bought the new Mallory HyFireVI and almost a year passed untill I could actually use it. When the Engine and all were done the engine idled just fine but after a few minutes of driving away from my home anything above an idle was terrible, I'd turn towards home hoping I'd make it, The engine would idle just fine but getting the car to move down the street was terrible, The car would idle just fine. I'd clean the fouled spark plugs and try it again. Mallory has a shorting plug (box bypass)I used the plug and the engine ran fine. I blamed the box. Just within Summit warranty period I returned the box with a note. The next Mallory HyFire VI box worked flawlessly.

I just checked the Summit catalog and they refer to it as a Mallory HyFire 6 control box. I swear it has a Roman numeral on the actual box. I have all Mallory FE centrifigual distributor photo triggerd ,mechanicl tach drive with small cap. Mallory active power supply filter. Mallory Pro Master coil. I started with an older HyFire 4 box with a seperate dial rev limiter that didn't work with the box and the lable on theold HyFier 4 box needed replacing. So that is why I bought a new Mallory HyFire 6 box and the active power filter.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-14-2010 at 08:55 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
vac. was disconnected. idles well, cold starts well, climbs to 3000 well after 3000 or so starts to pop in the exhaust. Engines new only 100 miles on it. built a a local guy that builts race motors for boats. If I can't get if right I'll take it back to him in the spring.
So you have never had the engine "run well," correct? If you were deaf, would you be able to feel the engine running poorly above 3000?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the help guys. rev limit set at 6000, double checked firing order, I didn't know the hyfire box was programmable. I don't see anything on Mallory's site for programing. I also had the box a couple of years before I used it during the build. Car just got titled last fall and put away before we got all of the kinks out. So I'm starting with a new build at this point. Other than slow runs to 50 mph I haven't pushed it during break in.
And yes if I was deaf I can feel it missing We changed plugs, reset valves, checked compression, and changed carbs. I'm begining to think I have a bad box too. Anyway to check it? Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
thanks for the help guys. rev limit set at 6000, double checked firing order, I didn't know the hyfire box was programmable. I don't see anything on Mallory's site for programing. I also had the box a couple of years before I used it during the build. Car just got titled last fall and put away before we got all of the kinks out. So I'm starting with a new build at this point. Other than slow runs to 50 mph I haven't pushed it during break in.
And yes if I was deaf I can feel it missing We changed plugs, reset valves, checked compression, and changed carbs. I'm begining to think I have a bad box too. Anyway to check it? Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
One simple, non-invasive test is to put a pyrometer (you know, one of those little point and shoot infra-red thermometers that you buy at Home Depot for about $40) on each of the primaries about an inch or two away from the head. Do this after you have been running it and it has been mis-firing. See if there is any obvious temperature change with one or two of the exhaust primaries thus indicating that cylinder is not firing consistently with the others. That will at least tell you if the problem is symptomatic of all the cylinders or just one or two. But considering this is a brand new engine, I wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot of work to get it to run right.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Try a coil.
At ten bucks and two wires its a ten minute diagnosing tool.
I've had bad ones do some crazy things...

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

ditto on barry's point, and let me add tachometers that are bad can do this too. disconnect the tach and try the car
Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Once again, I have a Mallory HyFire VI. It has programable spark retard for starting, programable RPM limiter, another programable RPM limiter that could be activated by turning on a switch suppling 12V, for staging and such . The box could do all sorts of things to accomadate nitrous, supercharging, and souch that I'm not using. My unit ran for a couple of hours during breakin didn't see a problem. But load up the wife and head out. It would run just fine. About one to two miles out it would start missing and bucking and backfiring , anything above an idle. I'd turn the car back toward home thinking that it would completely die and I'd need to call for a tow home. To my surprise it would idle just fine, but getting the car to move from a stop and carry the car down the road it was terrible. The spark plugs would be all carbon fouled. This went on for weeks. finally I used the supplied shorting plug to eleminate the box and just use the distributor. It ran great. I replaced the box and didn't have that problem again. As I remember the box get full 12v and acts as a power supply to the distributor. The distributor without the box needs a resister to drop the voltage. I anticapated that and have a resister mounted and all it take is moving a 1/4 inch spade connecter to accomplish the swap. I can tell when I reach the rev limit and it seems to always surprise me. I seem to reach it so quickly.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-14-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok Here's where I'm at. We reset the timing to 12 deg. BTC. at 900 rpms. The part that seems strange to me is the closer I get to TDC the worse the engine runs. This motor will not run at all at TDC. It like it around 22deg BTC.at 900 rpms. Is it possible when they rebuilt it that they are one tooth off on the timing chain. All temps at the exhaust are in the 300 to 350 range at idle. I will also try the tach. Any ideas? Jack
Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike if you remember which wires you jumpered to bypass the box let me know and I'll try that too. Thanks! Jack
Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you ever check to see if you harmonic ballancer s timing mark are true and accurate? The outer ring has been known to slip. I would propose the piston stop bolt test, are you familar? The piston stop bolt is a tool. I bought mine on ebay. The out side is made to match your spark plug threads in you heads (you'll have to figure out which spark plug threads your heads have ) and has an inner bolt (usually brass) that screws in and out to whatever depth you need to meet and stop the #1 piston. I bought two. The first one I put away some where safe. I haven't found it yet. I gave up and bought another piston stop bolt. I know where that one is.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-14-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mike if you remember which wires you jumpered to bypass the box let me know and I'll try that too. Thanks! Jack
The instructions for using the bypass connector on the Hyfire VI can be found here (Page 11, Figure 20): http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/685_6851.pdf
Old 03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No Not familar with piston stop bolt test
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Mallory set up has four wires in a weather pack plug Yellow, black, green, and red. This shorting plug has two wires red, and black. Red is looped outside connection one side to outside connection on the other side. The black wire is looped connecting the inner two connections. So that ends up being red to yellow and black to green
Old 03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Mallory is a hyfire 6AL. Looks like yours is a little different. I'll check my wire colors and see if they are the same as yours.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I think you have a carb problem. Either with the pump or you have to big of jets installed (may even be a a power valve).

Did you dyno the engine?

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"