Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Is your FE engine cold natured at start up??

Is your carbureted FE engine somewhat "cold natured" to start up?
I've always been told they have been famous for it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, but I have no choke on mine....like many others it appears from reading posts here.

To top that off, the engine should really be warmed up to the point the oil temp is getting well up past 140F before pushing things....about a 5 to 7 mile drive.

And finally, even with a 165F thermostat, it runs about 185F, which is still a bit cool, although overe the thermostat rating.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance aluminum427
Not Ranked     

Mine is, sit in the garge for about 5 to 7 minites or till mine gets up to 60 celcius out on the road it runs about 80 celcius. Its a Southern Automotive 427 stroked to 484 Shelby aluminum block with Edelabrock heads.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

yes it is true ALL fe engines are cold blooded and the only thing you can do is let it warm up first.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I am sure that the warm weather in Houston is a contributor, but my FE does not seem cold-natured. I don't have a choke but with two pedal shots it sfires right up. I can hold it at 1300-1500 for about a minute and then it holds itself at 1000 thereafter with no issues. I haven't owned it through a winter yet.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No choke, dual carbs, high riser intake (no heat passages to warm it up). Pump three, maybe four times before hitting the starter. Fires right up, keep blipping the throttle or it will die for sure, at least 45 seconds, a minute or more before it will even THINK about idling on it's own. Pops back through the carbs if your not careful and try to get underway before it's ready. Hawaii, if it ever drops into the 60's I don't go outside (freezin' out there!) so I wouldn't know how it does in "cold weather". Takes a few miles for it to begin to stabilize and idle without worry about dieing. I guess that's "cold blooded".
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1474: 482 CI stroked tunnel port 427 with dual quads.
Not Ranked     

My FE with its tunnel port intake can be tricky to start especially when it sits a few months without use. The motor certainly needs time to warm up and I make sure to keep the rpms down until the oil temp reaches proper operating temp.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gene, if I'm not mistaken the tunnel ports don't have heat risers in the intake, same as the High Riser intake/heads? Also, the BIG intake runners/ports make it more difficult for fuel atomization until the manifold gets good and warm.

I think these type of manifolds would be a seriousl problem in cold/winter type weather.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

427 w/ dual carbs, no choke - It will start with two pumps, then hold the throttle for a few minutes till it warms up and can hold the idle on its own. Then I wait till the temps come up before hitting the road. I take it easy on it until the oil temp is up to normal. If it sits for more than two weeks, it may take a little longer to start.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

Ponds 482 with single Holley ... no choke . Right now temps are in the low 90`s ( finally cooling off ) and overnight cold , engine starts with 1 or 2 pumps on the pedal . Hot , just hit the starter . If engine is cold , it will NOT idle on its own for at least 2 to 3 minutes ... it has to get to at least 160 degrees .
My 427 Galaxie also has no choke ( dual quad ) . Winter requires about 5 or 6 pumps to get it to fire and then constant pedal pressure until it is warm .
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, cranky at idle.... I must play with the throttle for 10 minutes or so after startup.

Tunnel Wedge, twin 750 Quick Fuel custom carbs on a KC pond 482" S/O..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

In the past - 428 with Holley and no choke. Pump the gas several times, turn the starter and may or may not backfire out the carb and then will start. Have to keep RPM at 1000 or will die. After a couple of minutes usually will stay running at idle. If I try to move the car before the temp starts to come up will most time die. Once warmed up runs and starts great. This is summer proceedure and cold weather is much worse. The present - same engine but with fuel injection
turn ignition till electric fuel pump activated & continue ignition to activate starter. Engine starts and immediately runs at idle and can put car in gear backing out of garage and can let it warm up in the driveway.

With the fuel injection it is like a totally different engine.

Dick
Old 08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR , 5.0 Kenne Belle SuperCharged
Not Ranked     

428 starts after couple of pumps, no choke. Have to feather it and let warm up at least 2 or 3 minuites before it will idle on its own.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

Excaliber, it is freezin cold if it Drops to the 60,s . Let me personally invite you to Chicago about Feb 20th , just bring a lite jacket Trust Me P.S. I love Hawaii ..
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I went for a ride with a customer in a Shell Valley Cobra a couple of winters ago and he was from Hawaii and was wearing a light wind breaker and when we got back he was shaking so bad.........it made me feel bad because i wasnt cold yet and it was in the low 30's.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     

Before putting on the Webers I had several Holleys on my car.

Each had its Choke hooked up and adjusted properly (electric on the 750s, manual on the 850) and all were completely hasle free.

Give it two stomps on the loud pedal (and pull the choke on the 850) and start.

The 850 with its manual choke required 2-3 adjustments until warm, the electrics worked perfectly all by themself..

The is a reason Holley did include a choke on the carbs

The 48 IDAs are not quite as well mannered, - but heck what do you expect - they donīt have a choke.

I still give it two stomps and it fires inmediately, but I have to keep up the idle a little for a little while. Driveability is pretty good - even when cold.