Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rocker issues!!

New here, figured this would be the place to post to get right info.Have a 428 got the comp cams set up,which ive been reading a few post not the best one's to get,dont know if maybe its an oiling promblem or what,the tips on the push rods keep breaking,and now the shaft just broke probably have 15mi on the motor.oh yea and the tips of the push rods are turning purple like the getting real hot and britle.Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shaft breakage could be related to improper torquing of the far end stands. I broke a shaft early on with my original motor and discovered, sure enough, the correct "procedure" had not been followed BEFORE it was torqued. There is an adjustment to get all the clearances taken up, THEN you torque it.

Sure sounds like an oiling problem on the push rods, if so, it likely wouldn't matter what brand your using if there not getting oil.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks,i will do that forgot to mention the are Manton pushrods.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Do you have oil in the heads?

RICKYB Rick do you have oil in the heads? Are the head gaskets on correctly? Did someone put limiters for controlling the oil to the heads? Are the rocker shaft holes on the bottom? Are your pushrods the correct length? If too long will have the contact patch on the valve stem doing a wearout of the guide.
Easiest thing for you to do is get an oil pump primer tool to spin the oil pump. You need to do this to see how much oil is coming out through the rockers and shafts. You know there are 2 special bolts that are scanked down for the oil to flow to the rocker arm shafts. Is it possible you have the wrong stands or wrong bolts in the wrong position? FE motor like to have the heads flooded with oil for both splashing effect and to help keep valve springs cool. If you have done this kind of damage, the valve springs may be over heated and could possible break too. Are they Blue in color? The heat treatment is damaged along with the seals on the valve stems. Rick L.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Do you have the right ends for rocker and lifter

RICKYB Rick do you have the right ends for the rocker and lifter? ball and cup? 5/16" and 3/8" on some, others are 5/16" and 5/16"? Do you have the right length pushrod for your setup? Do the rockers do a complete travel for 360 degrees of the camshaft without hitting the pushrod or having spring bind of the valve spring? A couple of pictures and a little more info would help. Is the camshaft solid or hydro? The pushrods are no rubbing or hitting the manifold? blueing is either a no oil problem or over stress issue. What kind of oil pressure do you have at idle and 2,000 rpms? Do you have oil coming from the rockers themself? Is there a oiling hole in the end for the roller of the rocker? Rick
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Maybe you have the wrong lenght push rods? I have the same set up as you.
I adjusted the roller rockers wrong ( not enough threads showing on the adjusting scew bolts-should be atleast three sticking out under the roller), resulting in the cup hitting the inside of the alum. roller and resulted in breaking the cup.

Installed new push rod, re-adjusted all the valves twice when hot, checked for proper clearance with a small mirror under the rollers where the cup is located. Rotate the motor several times to verify clearance. No problems for the last 5000 miles.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Bess; 08-29-2009 at 05:59 AM..
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick and Bill thanks for your help...took all the rockers off sure enough,4 rockers on one side and 3 on the other side the cups are getting wedge into the rocker. Pushrods are to long appreciate the help guys!!!