Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shelby aluminum block

Has any had problems with Shelby block or engine with Shelby aluminium block after some milage, leaks, failure etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_4 View Post
Has any had problems with Shelby block or engine with Shelby aluminium block after some milage, leaks, failure etc.
The very early CSX blocks had a leaking issue with the rear main. I'm not sure what number it stopped, but it may have been the first 200 +/- blocks, but don't quote on that. I remember looking at a CSX4000 car with CSX block #188, if my memory serves. and it had the rear main leak issue. I believe it's either discussed here and/or the FE Forum some time ago.

Rick Lake has two early CSX blocks and he could tell you exactly what the problem was, since he's lived it. I know the CSX blocks are in the 1,000+ range now. I think my CSX serial # is 931. and I (knock on wood) have had no issues with the block. Really a nice piece of aluminum.

Now on the other hand, my new Aviaid oil pan (since replaced) had a couple pin hole leaks.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From what I understand the Shelby block also requires significant machining prep prior to the build.

The rear main seal leak problem had something to do with not enough drain back around the seal area. I believe the solution was to simply drill some holes to relieve the build up of oil in that area.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

El blocko de arruminum este es muy goodo. No problemos.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

After fixing the two oil galley plugs, no leaks here either and the block is a fairly nice piece of work. One of the early blocks, CSX 381.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default you have a PM

fast_4 you have a PM Rick L
Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf Shelby alu block
Not Ranked     

I purchased block CSX733 built and installed. Block came completely machined and this is the first FE I have had that has no leaks. I am thinking of buying another shelby block. I am very happy with the block.

SPF 2551 Lyle
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2551, I'm a little confused. Did you buy the block and have it assembled by someone other than Shelby or what? Your post would seem to suggest the block was delivered completely machined and ready for assembly? That would indicate quite a change from what has been the case. Maybe the price went up accordingly as well and the blocks are now nearly or completely machine shop finished when delivered...
Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I haven't heard of anyone having a block failure with the CSX block and, from what I understand, a Pond or CSX aluminum block both will require cleanup and certain machining operations to be performed.

There are many threads on the FE Forum about all the blocks, including the CSX block. Keith Craft in the past has said that the CSX head studs add about $800 to the CSX price over its competitors.

Here's just one FE Forum thread for you to review:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...427+Block+info

Last edited by RodKnock; 09-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: added "one" to make more sense
Old 09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf Shelby alu block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
2551, I'm a little confused. Did you buy the block and have it assembled by someone other than Shelby or what? Your post would seem to suggest the block was delivered completely machined and ready for assembly? That would indicate quite a change from what has been the case. Maybe the price went up accordingly as well and the blocks are now nearly or completely machine shop finished when delivered...
I purchased the block direct fron shelby and assembled myself. Shelby did not hint that the blocks came any other way than machined and ready to assemble. The cost form Shelby was the lowest of any of the Alu block on the market at the time.

SPF 2551 Lyle
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DAM! You built that bad boy yourself? eh eh, my hats off to you man. I built my motor myself as well (side oiler) and know what's it like. All though I got some great advice from George at Gessford Machine (and Neil) on the tips and tricks.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

What kind of no-problem miles are we seeing?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

I have 8,000 mi on mine. Like Borat says, "very nice".
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I was just talking with a builder of new CSX cars at one of the largest dealers. He has used quite a few of these motors in his builds and claims they sell more of these motors for other applications than they do for Cobras as they're so good. He says between them being very complete with drives etc ready to bolt in, having a good cylinder wall and deck thickness, aftermarket hi po bearings and rods, less and stronger bearing area from the newer components, head studs that go halfway down the cylinders to not flex the top deck and a bunch of other sensible upgrades they are absolutely the best you could use.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     

I purchased my Engine # 599 from George Anderson (Gessford) and have no problems.
I think it's very important that you buy it from a good engine shop, if you like the best: ask George ! (http://www.gessford.com/)

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, good info.
Bret.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 11 Years of racing and no failures yet

Installed stroker kit from 452 to 482 3 years ago. block is still square and running great. Thank Mike Lefevers for getting these motors off the ground and pointing out issues in the beginning, CSX# 58. CSX #428 is going to Gessford next summer for the magic work of Neil. 498 cubes of good running motor with a few tricks. Rick L.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Installed stroker kit from 452 to 482 3 years ago. block is still square and running great. Thank Mike Lefevers for getting these motors off the ground and pointing out issues in the beginning, CSX# 58. CSX #428 is going to Gessford next summer for the magic work of Neil. 498 cubes of good running motor with a few tricks. Rick L.

Thanks Rick!

Lots of misinformation out there but you know how it is. "Ive never built one but..."
Everyone has issues from time to time, the Shelby block was no different, but it still the best imho.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird
Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have 2 Shelby blocks. CSX # 567 does leak from the rear seal. I believe it is later on that they changed the design. This block is the basis for my spercharged dry sumped 468 cubic inch motor that they built for me. I think the leak may also be due to the increased crank case pressure that the blower creates. It did not leak right away, but after 100 road miles it the Cobra started to mark its territory.

CSX # 1015 was delivered to me in August 2008. When I ordered it they told me the rear seal was the newer design. The 452 cubic inch SOHC that is being built for it by Jim Barillaro is not finished yet. So I cannot say if it leaks. Hopefully it won't as it will not be an easy fix in a GT40 that will be patterned after chassis # 1015.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

mhacars Any chance of seeing some pictures when you are done? I would really like to see your drysump blown motor.

As far as the GT car, brother we think alike. What gear box are you going with. With that motor and a 5 speed box, speed in the range of 240mph will be no problem. You could always add a couple of hair dryers to this motor. Shelby did draw up pictures of this back in the early 70's. Problem was getting the heat out from under the hood. Are you going to go hunting of ZR1 vettes and other silly people who drive foreign cars??? Boy are they going to look silly. Rick L.