Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Exclamation HELP: Cold Air Intake upgrade

From my Vette friends I know that cold air upgrade is a very effective way of improving the engine

I know that the Turkey Pan is one way to improve cold air intake - but still the intake is limited to the small gap on the hood.

I have the 8 stack weber style EFI, and I am looking for a nice solution - effective and good looking. (not going to cut in the hood)

- Could be one or two "hidden" tubes/pipes from the fish mouth directing air to the intakes.

- Could be...

Any Ideas - pls. provide pictures if possible.

Thank's in advance
Looking forward
Henrik

Picture of Intake:

http://clubcobra.com/forums/attachme...3&d=1276715882

http://www.vararam.com/sdr.html

Last edited by henrik; 08-07-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Looks awesome just like that!
JB
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
Looks awesome just like that!
JB
Thanks JB, for the kind words - but in our endless quest for performance this must be a smart way to secure enough cold air to transport the fuel - hence I'm sure people before me have thought of a solution...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

My first question is, do you have a diffuser across the opening of the hood scoop? The problem is that air enters the oepning of the scoop and shoots across the top of the first 2-4 stacks. I think it actually creates a venturi vacuum, and sucks air out of the closest stack.

Then it shoots into the back of the engine bay and forces feeds the back 2-4 cylinders. You get a big mis-match in cylinder feeding. This one that I built out of some scrap alum is worth 8mph on the front stretch. That's a lot.

As for cold air, I've been considering that. I don't like the idea of a turkey pan. That requires you to feed the entire engine through the hood scoop. That's not a very big opening.

I'm considering making a turkey pan that's open in the front. Then extending the bottom of the pan out over the top of the radiater. That should provide good air flow without starving it.

To make distributer access easier, I'd make it into two parts and either cut a hole for the distributer, or fab a bubble cover.

One of my many winter projects.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HI Bob

Thanks for the reply and the nice picture - looks great, and sounds like a good idea

No, I do not have a diffuser. (yet )

On the enclosed picture you can see a soluton from a bmw 2002 - the other end of the black tube is in the front...

I was thinking of a kind of reversed turkey pan mounted on the back side of the hood - allowing air to be forced down the intake... and at the same time stop the air form passing too fast over the intahe and create the drag you mention... and maybe have a tube conected from the front to force more air into the top of the intake.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The BMW is interesting. Couldn't hurt, I suppose. But not sure what the value might be. Minimal, at best, I would think. Talking about top end, of course.

I have seen side draft carbs with an enclosed plenum and cold air ducting. Doesn't work on our cars, not enough room.

I'm not sure there's a lot of value to my idea, either. I'd like to build it, then take it to the track and see what happens to the top end. Maybe drive it on the street and see if there's a change in fuel mileage.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

The hoodscoops on these cars don't do anything except let heat Out of the engine bay.
The Big hole in the front literally scoops so much air that it forces air out of the scoop while you are driving. The only way a scoop works is if the carb(s) are totally sealed to the underside of the hood separate from the engine. There are some nice examples on this site, just can't find one at the moment.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
The hoodscoops on these cars don't do anything except let heat Out of the engine bay.
The Big hole in the front literally scoops so much air that it forces air out of the scoop while you are driving. The only way a scoop works is if the carb(s) are totally sealed to the underside of the hood separate from the engine. There are some nice examples on this site, just can't find one at the moment.
Are you sure of that

Looking at the front it seems as if the radiator almost block the entire opening - only allowing litte air to pass...

and I would expect the air to be forced under the car rather that the wrong way out of the hood scoope against the wind
Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default dual air intake 289 fia

Saw this dual intake on the 289 fia in panavia's post http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=105956

Looks like a very nice way of getting the cold air - then the distribution to the 2x4 intakes is the "only" challange...

any other ideas... pls. come forward - she is already looking for solutions...

Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ttt
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Here's my thought.

The amount of air that could come through an average size Cobra hood scoop would easily support over 1000 HP. I'm pretty sure you can't get air much colder than air going in directly above the intake from the hood scoop. If air was routed from a lower location closer to the road surface it would be drawing in higher temperature air because roads are much hotter than the general air temperature. If a sealed forced induction was used it would complicate the engine management at higher speeds because of the huge load Cobras have with their terrible coefficient of drag.