Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     
Default Holley Dominator EFI system trouble

Title says Dominator, it is actually a Terminator. Can't change the title.

I installed the Terminator EFI system from Holley over the summer. It runs pretty well, but I have a few problems and need some help. I am using a laptop to make changes - so basically this is a Holley HP EFI system.

First, and most annoying, is that it wants to die upon deceleration. It will idle fine, drive fine, etc. However, when I push in the clutch and close the throttle, the rpms drop to about 400, and either the car will die, or after a few seconds, it will rev back up to idle. The idle is set at 850 and it idles well - nice and stable. If I just blip the throttle, it will settle back to idle.

Engine: 351W stroked to 408.
Intake: Performer RPM
Distributor: MSD 8452 with Ford ignition module.
Ignition: Mallory HyFire 6853M (6AL) box, Mallory EFI coil 30440

Holley Terminator settings:
Idle - 850.
IAC at hot idle varies 2-4 %
TPS at idle = 0 %
The IAC hold is set at 25% and the decay is 2.5 seconds.
Base fuel table is smooth. Fuel learn table averages -10 (original table mildly rich for my engine).
Fuel Pressure set at 43 per instructions.
Timing synchronized and locked. TDC verified by piston stop, timing set with light while timing locked per Holley EFI software.

I tried the Holley forum, but all I get is Danny telling me to do things I've already done and confirmed. Nobody from Holley visits or replies on the forum.

I called Holley - the tech said to change the bottom three negative rows of the Closed Loop Learn Compensation Limits to 25% from 100%. He said that with a manual transmission, this is a common problem. When I let off the gas and push the clutch, the throttle blades close, causing the MAP to decrease (vacuum increases as the engine continues to spin with less air coming in) then increases. I made these changes, but still get the tries to die on deceleration problem.

My datalog shows my MAP initially decreases minimally but then it goes up to 100kPa while the engine is trying to die. The AFR reads 22, CL Comp is 16%.

RPMs drop to 400. IAC shoots up to 40-50% - I assume this is how the engine is trying to get back up to idle.

Ignition timing at idle varies but is around 24*. I assume this varies due to the Idle Spark Control .

It seems like when I close the throttle and engage the clutch, the engine goes severely lean. This causes the RPMs to drop below the set 850. Only when the idle gets down to around 400 does it realize something is wrong and tries to correct it. I don't know why it wont just return to idle. OK, any thoughts on how to cure this symptom?

Here is the Holley forum's thread on my discussion with Danny: Holley Forum Clicky

Last edited by Texasdoc; 12-01-2014 at 05:29 AM..