Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     
Default Large TWM Air filters

I have read all the threads but could not find anyone that makes a nice looking larger air filter for this set up. Has anyone seen anything? I have talked to the folks at TWM and they have screens for the smaller horns, but I am specifically looking for something to cover the larger horns in the picture?

Kramer..

Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

any help here? I beginning to think my only choice is to fab something? I heard something about a company called ICG or ITG? anyone know anything about them?

Kramer
Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

http://www.twminduction.com/airbox.htm

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Kramer-

I think the air cleaners are something you can actually live without. I drove race cars witha Buick V6 with a Kinsler FI system and most of the time we never used any kind of air filter. I wouldn't recommend this since it led to a stuck throttle (debris caught in the butterfly) once during testing that was not pleasant. We went to a fine mesh screen over the stacks and no problems. Granted, they were freshening the motors every 1000 miles, but I talked to the engine builder about this (Ohio George Montgomery) and he said there were no issues with "dirty" air, other than lightly lubricating the butterfly linkage. If you change the oil regularly, the dust in the air that is in the combustion chamber is mostly removed. He had motors with 50,000 race miles on them with no cylinder wall issues which is what I was inquiring about. When we raced on street circuits, there was tons of crap going into the motors, especially on the first morning of practice (the Miami race was really bad).

If you look inside current throttle body assemblies on "normal" cars, you will see this fine mesh screen on many of them. How you would adopt this to the TWM system is another matter and might take some fabrication.

I know this isn't really an answer, but just thought I'd share it with you. Your motor is one of the best looking I have ever seen, by the way.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick...thanks for the reply, however there is no way that airbox on the TWM website is going to fit under the hood...I was really hoping there was some individual units I could stick on each stack.

Xracerbob...thanks for the feedback on the motor..since you seem to know about these setups a bit, do you think it is possible for me to fab individual units out of foam? I was thinking of making individual units with some screening on top(to hold them in place) and bottom (to prevent them getting sucked in), however I don't know what material to use? I agree that I could probably live without, but this engine is an unmolested standard bore 427 and I would rather protect if if there is a way to to that without too much effort.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 758 KC Pond 482
Not Ranked     

Kramer-

Your on the right track- make sure the screen on the bottom side wont let any of the foam or filter material into the motor as this would obviously cause big problems. As for the actual filter material, The dirt track guys use some foam that is free flowing but still filters out the majority of the dirt. I did a quick search, but didn't find any that rang any bells. You would have to cut sections of it and sandwich between the screens, which shouldn't be too bad. I always thought the way to do it would be to put it into the stack without getting too close to the butterfly and you would have no hood clearance issues.

I'll keep looking and see what I find.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The TWM Induction air box won't work on a FE and the ITG filters will not fit under the hood, the only thing I know of is the nostalgia horns TWM makes with the filter screens. You can maybe take out the foam filter in them and find something a little better.
http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/427.html

Last edited by rick50; 10-17-2007 at 08:16 PM..
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Call up roush. they have individual filters that fit the TWM stacks. I think the FE and the SBF stacks are the same diameter. Look in my pics you can see how they worked for me. the added height is less than 3". they are made by K&N however I looked up the K&N part number and found nothing on them, Roush is the only place I know were you can get them.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

rick50,

I hate to break the bad news to you but the ITG filters do fit under the hood of a Cobra or replica. At least they do on my CSX car. Due to the problem of not being able to view or post photos here right now, I can't show you. However, if you can, check my gallery, you can see that the ITG filters do fit. They are not a bolt on application. You have to physically fit them to your car. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

These are not TWI but I was able to get them to fit under my ERA hood by having custom height filters made. The stock ones were about a quarter of an inch to tall.

Dick
Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These are only 13/4".
Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lets try it again.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

couple questions guys:

1. I like the K&N idea, however I don't think they make filters that fit the larger horns??

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=10094

2. Slither...did you just simply call ITG...?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

here is another thread with lots of pic of filters
TWM Stack Air filter

I think the roush units will work... the boot is rubber and will stretch the extra 8mm (.3") to fit over the larger horns IMO.

Last edited by Rwillia4; 10-18-2007 at 08:11 AM..
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Kramer, yes I did. They were very helpful. Then I contacted a Cobra shop and they machined the base plate to fit over the stacks. They fit just fine and do not contact the hood. Good luck to you! You must run filters with the TWM's. Even if you simply run the car on a road course, used tire rubber WILL get kicked up and in to your engine compartment. I have found more than one chunk of rubber lying on my intake manifold between the stacks. Don't take the chance and run the car without filters!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 comp
Not Ranked     

csx4163 has ITG filters and they do clear, finishline in las vegas use all time,at least 6 cars that I know of and have seen.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

you have pics?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

These are made by K&N for Roush. Although I am using them on Webers, they were made for FI.

Good Luck!

Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB
Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Terry...I have seen those filters and checked them out..very nice setup by the way on your webers.....I could change the stacks and make them so those filters would fit, however I like the larger throttle bodies and unfortunately they don't make any like yours that fit the larger horns.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, #930, 351W/427CID 419 RWHP (before the Webers!)
Not Ranked     

Kramer:

What is the outside-to-outside measurement of your horn?

Terry
Terry Brown SPF #930 427W 419 RWHP 48 IDA Webers

"Remember, your car will not be more valuable after Track Day than it is the day before the event" - Eric W. instructional presentation on Track Day safety, 05/15/2008 WSCB