Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Mass Flo users, buy the fuel supply system???

Just wondering if you guys that didn't buy the mass flo fuel system wish you would have after having to buy all the fittings, fuel lines, etc? Is there a savings in money if you are going to run aluminum hard fuel lines instead of the ss flex. or socketless type. I most likely will be buying the pump from the tank manufacturer. just trying to save some money on the rest. thanks for your input.

shawn
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building ERA #749 427 Cobra
Not Ranked     

The answer to your question depends on what car you are putting the system in. In my case, an ERA 427SC Cobra. I had ERA use the aluminum lines, rear to front and also run an aluminum fuel return line from tank to front on passengers side. Used braided from both ends to complete. Although there were many fittings in the Massflo supplied system, it was no where near enough to what I needed. The only advantage was the fuel pump and two filters supplied, and regulator, that goes with the system. For installation in an older non Cobra car, maybe the fuel system they supply would be OK. The other thing you need to be aware of is that if you go braided you make your own lines up. That can be easy or very hard depending on your skills.The choice you make may also be determined by State rules.
I don't like the push on stuff as the hoses may split with time at the fittings. I had a blown 05 mustang that used push on hose and I got letter from Keene Bell telling me the hose supplied was defective and might split. There are several brands of hose being sold, not sure what the best would be.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

We bought the fuel supply system from Mass Flo for Griff's roadster.
It included a new fuel pump, filter, regulator, fuel lines, fittings, etc.
We thought is was worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought the fuel system. You will pay a lil more for it. But it does make eveything so much easier cause you don't have to go hunting for fittings etc. They are all there.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I bought the complete system, my only ***** was the braided line was not the "Tight brade" and it was very difficult when you cut it even wrapping with tape to keep from fraying and a eal problem to get fittings on right. I finally went and got the good type to finish my system up.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

I bought their fuel line system, but if doing this over, I wouldn't. Ended up needing many more and/or different fittings than what was supplied. Plus, they supplied their fuel pump system which required a t-fitting to the return line (look at the picture on the Mass-flo web page you'll know what I mean) which involved more fittings and hook-ups which turned out to be unnecessary. By that I mean their fuel pump (the one in my kit Mallory 110FI) required that fitting. That pump is huge (tall), was a problem for mounting where it didn't extend down below the frame, this spring I changed over to a Mallory 4261FI (approved by Chris at mass-flo) and this does not require the t-fitting return. I still use the kit's pressure regulator, main filter, some of their lines for the fuel return system, but overall, many unused pieces and had to find many fittings and setup pieces on my own. Your mileage may vary, of course

Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks for the replies, BTW this is for a hurricane motorsports cobra 418w 480+hp . It sounds like I might as well buy the fittings, fuel lines etc. seperately on my own. I would feel better if I had aluminum lines under the car and ss at the ends. I talked to tanks, inc. (a tanks,inc. poly tank is in the hurricane) today b/c they sell a in-tank 255lph pump with hanger but he said the fuel tubing @ the pump is only 1/4 NPT. So why would I run 1/2" fuel lines if it's that small at the pump. What other options do I have to run a pump with that type of tank? thanks for all the help, and pics.

shawn
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Shawn:
I ordered the fuel system from Mass Flo with the setup for the FE in me ERA. Very pleased with not only the completeness of the system but the ease of installation as well. More than enough fittings and line for the entire installation. Even have several left over.
Chris appears to try to provide a well balanced system when you place your order with him. I'd call him first and let him know what you're planning so he can make whatever tayloring adjustments you'll need for your plans.
Tank pickup and returns:

Supplied in line fuel pump mounted to frame rail:

Passenger side of engine compartment after installation:

DonC
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

We use the Aeromotive 1000 fuel pump and filters. One filter before the pump and one after the pump. We also use the Aeromotive regulator and noramly the braided lines. We use a number 8 from the tank to the system and a number 6 return. This has worked on engines up to 600 to 625HP. You might want to use a number 10 up and a number 8 on a high HP application like 700HP. This would also depend on the use of the car.
If we can help with the pump, filters, regulator or any fittings just let us know.
Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 408
Not Ranked     

Off the subject, has anyone had a problem Mass Flo system that that cuts out or bucks on acceleration and sometime at 70MPH
Old 09-23-2008, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Mass Flow

Here are a few things to check. You need to have about an inch between the top of the Mass Flow meter and the air cleaner top. If you have the air cleaner up in the scoop and the air is hitting it as it comes through the scoop it can cause a wierd reading as it goes through the air filter and over the mass flow meter. We build a damn inside the air cleaner at the front right on back of the filter to keep this air from going through the filter to fast.
Also make sure that the pump is below the outlet on the tank because these are pusher pumps and not suction pumps. I assume that you have the complete installation done as the Mass Flow directions says.
Where are your O2 sensors mounted in the exhaust?

Keith Craft
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

Charley,

I have a Backdraft and had the same issue. The problem is the pickup in the tank is getting uncovered during acceleration or hard cornering. fill the tanks with fuel and see if it happens then. If it does then check the stuff that Keith is saying, if not then its the fuel pickup sucking air. The quick answer is to keep at least 1/2 tank. The other solution is to use a swirl tank to supply the high pressure fuel pump. I am going to make this change to my system next month when I return to the states. Backdraft does the same thing with there cars is S. Africa for fuel injection. They use one of the bolt in frame members on either side of the diff as a swirl tank. Basically you feed the "swirl tank" directly from the main tank by gravity. Next the fuel pump draws fuel from the swirl tank to the fuel rails and returns via the regulator back to the swirl tank. Make sure that the line that feeds the pump is on the side near bottom of the bolt in member and the return is on the other end as far away from the suction as possible to eliminate bubbles from getting sucked into the pump. Then there is an over flow line from the swirl pot back to the main tank. You can use the original return for this. This ensures that when the pick up in the main tank is uncovered the pump still has fuel because the swirl tank is always completely full of fuel. Now this is different than how most set up a swirl tank because BD doesn't use a low pressure pump between the main tank and swirl tank. You should have at least 1 filter in there....I think I have a picture of one of the EFI S. AFrican cars swirl tank. I'll look for it....Mac

Last edited by Mac VABCH; 09-24-2008 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: can't spell
Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Don't run aluminium lines

sbenso Shawn I was going to run a blower on my car and didn't want any problem with a lean running condition under boost. I have a double system with 2 (255) pumps in the gas tank on 2 seperate supply systems to the Fuel rail. Both supply lines are #10 with a return of #6. All SS line. In my state you can't run aluminium lines and pass inspection. IMO the return line helps 2 ways, you have a steady psi reading all the time. The fuel is also cooler than a system that is dead headed to the injectors. You need to rap, insolate, and clamp the lines about every 12" from front to back of the car. Double fuel filters, Yes. Buy the system from Mass Flo, unless it's aluminium lines. Make sure the clamps have rubber inserts to remove vibrations. I have heard of aluminium lines breaking and the car caughting on fire. Not a pretty sight.. If you are tight on money, then WAIT. You have spent a large amount allready, what's another month or two. I waited 25 years to buy mine and 4 years to get it into racing forum. Your SAFETY is the most important thing. Rick L. Ps I race with a half tank of fuel in the ERA gas tank. The weight helps with traction for the rear tires. No problems like some of the carb cars in high "G" turns and the black smoke coming from the tail pipe.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 09-24-2008 at 03:07 AM..
Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

Charley,

Here's a link to the picture

http://www.backdraftboys.com/forum/t...erms=swirl,pot
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Charlie,
What Mac is suggesting is likely the culprit. Based on where that gigantic pump that Mass Flo provides in the kit and where BDR pickup is located. If you need help on a swirl tank let me know.

You can verify better by filling the tank full and seeing if the issue occurs then keep driving and see if it picks up.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Mass Flo fuel system

I bought the fuel system and thought it was fairly priced based on what you get. I would buy it again if given the need. Pics in my gallery of fuel pump location and lines.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
We also use the Aeromotive regulator and noramly the braided lines. We use a number 8 from the tank to the system and a number 6 return.
Keith-

Have you had any problems with long runs of braided hose?

I recall posts (not sure if they were here at CC) of people with long runs of braided fuel hose (tank to engine) smelling gas in their garage and finding gas vapors were permeating thru the rubber hose....reportedly with good quality hose. The consensus was to use hard lines for the long runs and short runs of braided flex at each end.

Have you seen this problem?

Rodger
Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did have my pick-up getting uncovered in my Kirkham when the tank was low, like about 5 gallons left and causing something like this. The other thing to look for is where the return hose goes into the tank. If it is to close to the pick-up it will blow or push the fuel away from the pick-up causing it to suck air. good luck, Keith