Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     
Default Dynatek E.F.I- "Self Learning" ???

I've been looking into EFI systems. I really like the looks of "Dynatek's" system. About as close too the Webber as I see. I talked with Mr. Rick Lake last night, and what both of us don't understand is what's quoted here.

"No programming or dyno tuning required"

"Self-learning computer system automatically defines fuel tables"

Self learning or programing, what does that mean ? It's a great looking package but, does that mean we can't program the system to the engines and our needs ? Sounds like a Jack Roush problem to me. What I've heard, (could be a rumor) you can't adjust his either and I only assume, the reason is so you don't run it lean, have a motor melt down and blame Roush.

I would appreciate anyone that has a Dynatek EFI running, to discuss this system.

What a beautiful example this is ! ("Great asp" pic....from here on CC)

Thanks,
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Self learning is the new wave in EFI. Using wide band sensors, TPS, etc, the computer reads across a broad range of parameters and sets the fuel and ignition curves according to pre-set parameters. For example, If the load is light and the throttle is low, it will try to keep the mixture at 14.7'ish.

If your engine is fairly common and mild, it probably won't need any dyno time. The base settings will probably work fine as a starting point. But if your engine is somewhat bradical, you'll probably need some dyno time to get the base settings closer.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Fun,

You can program (map) the entire system.

They have standard tunes, but we mapped mine out completely at KCR on the engine dyno.

Eric
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you guys are saying that even though the computer has "pre-set parameters", you can still plug into the dyno's computer and reset the ecu parameters as you and your engine requires ?

How does it compare to the "Fast System's", the same thing or different ?
I do not have any experience with EFI but, my buddy Pro mechanic does, he can also burn a different chip if needed.

Eric- great motor & the polishing of the manifold, bodies and stacks looks great.

Please email me with your phone number or call. I would like to talk about this system.

cobrakev@galaxycable.net

402-781-2322 (central time)

I'll appreciate your time and input.

Thank you,
Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, you can modify the base settings. But, you may not have to. You don't really plug the ECU into the dyno computer. A good tuner will change the maps according to data collected on the dyno. Gotta have that human interface.

AFAIK, FAST is not a self learning system.

With these aftermarket systems, there's no need to "burn a chip". You simply plug in a laptop and change whatever parameters you want to change. The ECU places it in memory, and keeps it there pretty much forever. It doesn't need continuous power to maintain the memory like a stoock ECU does.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Yes, you can modify the base settings. But, you may not have to. You don't really plug the ECU into the dyno computer. A good tuner will change the maps according to data collected on the dyno. Gotta have that human interface.

AFAIK, FAST is not a self learning system.

With these aftermarket systems, there's no need to "burn a chip". You simply plug in a laptop and change whatever parameters you want to change. The ECU places it in memory, and keeps it there pretty much forever. It doesn't need continuous power to maintain the memory like a stoock ECU does.
This is exactly correct, and well said regarding the DynaTek Classic Injection.

(I have no experiance with either AFAIK or FAST)

I can keep multiple tunes and using them when I want by downloading the tune from my laptop. I am thinking the tune with air filters might be different than without air filters and I might want to run without to the local car show, but with air filters on a road trip. Other than that I'm not sure why anyone would need more than one tune, maybe a high or low altitude tune?

E
Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the Fast is not a learn computer, it's a fly by the wire kind of thing.
So I'm happy we can download any combination we want and fiddle around with a lap top for a best tune.

It's also nice that we can have several different tunes. Here in Nebraska, the weather changes everyday so, for everyday driving, the company tune may be fine but, if were racing, we have to be able to tune the car as the day goes by.

It sure sounds like a great system and I'm gettin excited.

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have two tunes for my Haltech system - air cleaner and open stacks. That makes a huge differance. There are special maps for altitude and temperature, so you don't need to change the tune as the weather changes.

I live at 6,400' ASL. Last year we drove to Hastings, NB. We rolled the car off the trailer and onto the track. It ran perfect all week end. No need to even take the laptop out of the bag. The computer adjusted for air density all on it's own.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default E-mail Deam Lampe

FUNFER2 Kevin Dean here on the forum has been running this system for almost 2 years. He's the guy to talk with. There is some programming with this system. It depends on how you are running it, Open loop, Closed Loop, Alpha N, or Map sensor programming. Some systems have a 5-10% adjustment factor to adjust the A/F mixture. Like any system, you get a basic program to get the motor running then do the fine tuning yourself. They need, motor size, camshaft, compression, firing order, and even location where you live, Death Valley or Denver. Rick L.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

Deane Lampe has a Dynatec setup on his GT40. He did an article for Kit Car Mag on the Dynatec. He is probably well suited to answer most of your questions.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I get mine, I will polish some parts, powder coat and anodize the stacks either red or blue, to make it pretty ya know .

Thanks guys, even you RICKY !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 01-12-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I spoke to "Ricky" last nigh about this. I had the system installed on my car last summer. It works great and is very easy to tune. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. With the help of Dynatek, I built a map that worked great with my set up. It did run pretty good right out of the box. My system has the "Learning" function turned off. Instead my system runs on a map full time. It is pretty easy to tune and tinker with. The learning curve is pretty quick.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I re-red the article in Kit Car, I noted who wrote it, I had no idea I talked on the phone with a celebrity !

This system is very impelling, including the computer. You have a beautiful RCR GT-40. You and Dynatek have made it enjoy both on the track and the street. The best,....of both worlds.
Great job.