Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Fuel Injection & Tuning

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Default Throttle Cable for Roush 427IR

The saga continues in getting the engine to run. I finally got the software to connect to the Accel-DFI and an updated throttle body adjustment sheet from Roush.

The key is to disconnect the linkage rods from the bellcrank. This is the assembly that connects the throttle to the two sides and opens up the throttle valves.

After getting idle correct the next step is to reconnect the rods. The turnbuckles were all the way in so there was no room to do the side-to-side adjustments so I opened them up a little to make room for adjustments. Then attached them to the bellcrank and the whole thing is way out. Ah, not a problem, a little more throttle cable and everything will line up.

Ooops... Cable too short now.

So the adjusting done to compensate for the miswired throttle position sensor was to try to take it up in airflow.

Bottom line is next step is a throttle cable. Does anyone know where to find one of these?

Noone could even come close. The CarQwest guy showed me a similar end but the end slug was too small, and noone else could come close. My friend showed me the cable end on his Honda and it looked like the connector slug might be the right size. But before I go cannibalizing assemblies I though I'd ask if anyone knows of the right part.

The wire length on this one is about 15" but needs to be about 18" (to give enough length to make up the short and to give enough to properly dress the end after the screw stop is on.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 04-12-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Custom Motor Cycle shop

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Checked at Red Hill Motorcylce Werx down the street (in Lyons, CO) and he said he could make one with a brass end but he'd have to machine it down to the right diam. If I can't find one in a day or so (or get one from Roush) I'll bring the short cable to him and have him make me one.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I purchased a standard lokar cable. I also called TWM (http://www.twminduction.com/Home/Home-FR.html) and order a adjustable screw on end piece. Works great no problems.

To install it I found it is easier to remove the middle piece this fits into, it is three screws, then slid it out the back. Once I had it back together I was able to adjust the cable length (with a long screwdriver).

Last edited by Rwillia4; 04-12-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwillia4 View Post
I purchased a standard lokar cable. I also called TWM (http://www.twminduction.com/Home/Home-FR.html) and order a adjustable screw on end piece. Works great no problems.

To install it I found it is easier to remove the middle piece this fits into, it is three screws, then slid it out the back. Once I had it back together I was able to adjust the cable length (with a long screwdriver).
Which Lokar cable has the right end? There is a guide tube the cable has to go through on its way out of the engine under the fuel rails, so no end protector can go on it before installing it.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Sounds like our setups maybe a little different. I have a flexable guide tube and was able to remove the "adjuster" from under the fuel rails. Install the end piece and re-assemble. The adjustment I was talking about above was the crude adjustment of the end piece. I then fine tuned with the adjuster. It was a pain to do but once it was done it has been good to go since.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Latest lead is that this is, believe it or not, a go-kart throttle cable. I found pictures of one that look just like it. The full cable has the barrell stop on one end and a round stop on the other. Going to a bike shop today.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You could cut the cable from the one you have drill a hole through it that was the same diameter as the replacement cable ( random length) and silver solder the new cable into the existing brass barrel end. It would sure solve a lot of hunting around, and the cable would be secure too. Another option and one I used myself was from a Honda Rotary Lawnmower clutch cable, the inner cables are plastic or teflon coated and reduce friction considerable. I soldered the end on as described above.

Example: Not sure on the barrel diameter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLUTCH-CABLE-FOR...ayphotohosting

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-14-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
You could cut the cable from the one you have drill a hole through it that was the same diameter as the replacement cable ( random length) and silver solder the new cable into the existing brass barrel end. It would sure solve a lot of hunting around, and the cable would be secure too. Another option and one I used myself was from a Honda Rotary Lawnmower clutch cable, the inner cables are plastic or teflon coated and reduce friction considerable. I soldered the end on as described above.
Thanks! I need a longer cable so salvaging parts from the existing one won't. The barrel on the existing cable looks to be lead or similar.

It is highly likely that it was a cable part from another assembly like you showed. The go-kart place had cables with shields on them too. I found a kart track locally that said they would sell me one if I can get a match. I'll drive over today after work.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

That's a TWM setup, I can supply whatever you need.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was a go-kart cable.

We're back on the air. Passed emissions and everything. Now muddling around the rest of the bureaucratic hell - the VIN verification from had all the stuff but in the wrong boxes. I also had to get it weighed. Hopefully this week!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The saga continues in getting the engine to run. I finally got the software to connect to the Accel-DFI and an updated throttle body adjustment sheet from Roush.

The key is to disconnect the linkage rods from the bellcrank. This is the assembly that connects the throttle to the two sides and opens up the throttle valves.

After getting idle correct the next step is to reconnect the rods. The turnbuckles were all the way in so there was no room to do the side-to-side adjustments so I opened them up a little to make room for adjustments. Then attached them to the bellcrank and the whole thing is way out. Ah, not a problem, a little more throttle cable and everything will line up.

Ooops... Cable too short now.

So the adjusting done to compensate for the miswired throttle position sensor was to try to take it up in airflow.

Bottom line is next step is a throttle cable. Does anyone know where to find one of these?

Noone could even come close. The CarQwest guy showed me a similar end but the end slug was too small, and noone else could come close. My friend showed me the cable end on his Honda and it looked like the connector slug might be the right size. But before I go cannibalizing assemblies I though I'd ask if anyone knows of the right part.

The wire length on this one is about 15" but needs to be about 18" (to give enough length to make up the short and to give enough to properly dress the end after the screw stop is on.
I believe that the 427IR uses a TWM throttle bodies and linkage correct? If so, I have the same TWM setup on my cobra. I got this done with a combination of 1) getting a standard throttle cable from TWM (it was black and had the correct (removable) end for the connection to the TWM linkage on the manifold) and 2) ordering a braided SS cable from Lokar. I used a combination of parts from the two cables to build my final throttle cable. Setup works great.

- Fred
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After exhausting the normal auto dealers (including Honda which had a similar looking barrel end) I went to a motorcycle shop. He said he didn't have anything like it but that it was a go-kart cable. I drove out to the local kart track and they made me one. Works perfect!