17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Registering a Cobra in MI

I am getting a Superformance Cobra put together for the spring.

What is the registration / inspection process in MI.
Also how is insurance handled?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post

Thanks
When your Cobra is up and running, try your local police department or the MSP for an inspection (some will come to your home). The form you need is called a TR-54. You can get one online or at the Secretary of State. After that's completed, you are ready for taxes and registration.

For insurance, I went with Midwest. I was still building when I opened a policy. Took several photos and agreed on a policy. They were cool to work with.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Look here: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MI.pdf

And check Continental Western, I think they do Michigan. Once you have your SPF we can enroll you in SCOF and CW offers a discount.

I will email details.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I did a Michigan Registration. If you don't have a manufacturer's certificate of origin, they will have you buy an insurance bond, so be ready for that. Additionally, I would be selective about which secretary of state staff I use as some didn't seem comfortable about an assembled car. I ended up with a wonderful spanish speaking woman who seemed to be empathetic to my cause, and I sought her out on my second and third trips to the SS office. The other junior male bureaucrats of questionable sexuality were excited to find roadblocks wherever possible. Probably would help if you had a police officer who was interested in hot rods. Likely not hard to find in Michigan. The best part was the final inspection and placing the tag. Took about 30 seconds. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thanks
CLICK HERE for the Michigan kit car title instructions (state MVS pdf), and a much easier read than MK IV's link .

Can't get much easier than that.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did find that. I was more interested in the finer points. Like when they title it how do you control the description so they are not looking for bumpers which are listed on those forms as necessary. How does that inspection go? The Officer goes cool, that looks great signs and moves on or is it a thing?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I did find that. I was more interested in the finer points. Like when they title it how do you control the description so they are not looking for bumpers which are listed on those forms as necessary. How does that inspection go? The Officer goes cool, that looks great signs and moves on or is it a thing?
As with most state run MVS divisions, it's usually luck of the draw.

Description is usually based on the MSO/MCO you supply them with. If you fill out all of the paperwork based on that document, 80% of the time they will follow it. 100% of the time if they have a similar VIN already in their system. Where you (or anyone else) struggles is when you are the very first to come in with something not in their system. Then it becomes a learning tool for their division and you go under a microscope. In your case however, I doubt that will occur, as there are plenty of new and old style SPF's already registered in Michigan.

Bumpers are up for interpretation when it comes to replicas, a simple set of quick jacks can be construed as bumpers, but again it is all luck of the draw as to who you get to inspect the car (if they want to inspect and not just sign off on it from the pictures you'll provide).

I generally tell people to start a build "binder", have everything (and more) laid out in clear plastic sheets, organized in sub sections, lots of detailed pictures of the build, receipts for everything you can think of. Be as helpful (enthusiastic) as you can be. Never argue or frown, always stay on the positive mindset. Your attitude and attention to detail (so they do not have to chase after things) will rub off on whomever they assign to you.

Yes, it really is that simple most of the time.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-16-2015, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeasts, 331 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I think my officer was so enthralled by the sidepipes and paint job that he didn't bother asking if quick jacks count as bumpers. I did have the headlights working and the windshield wipers installed (which to this day do not function... like who the heck is going to drive while in a rainstorm... much to my wife's dismay when I managed to find the only existing rain cloud on a day last fall.. )

Emergency brake was a point, had that.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am trying to get my head around the registration process in Michigan.
I understand I get a local officer to inspect it. That should be easy.
I then go to SOS with the inspection form and documents for them to determine taxes.
I am hoping I can get a temporary permit before the vin comes in so I can drive the car.

My two questions:

Has anyone had success getting a permit before the vin is attached?

Do they tell you the vin when you get the permit? Insurance companies are a little weird that way. They seem to want a vin.

I hope this does not turn into further extended delays.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am trying to get my head around the registration process in Michigan.
I understand I get a local officer to inspect it. That should be easy.
I then go to SOS with the inspection form and documents for them to determine taxes.
I am hoping I can get a temporary permit before the vin comes in so I can drive the car.

My two questions:

Has anyone had success getting a permit before the vin is attached?

Do they tell you the vin when you get the permit? Insurance companies are a little weird that way. They seem to want a vin.

I hope this does not turn into further extended delays.
Bill - check your email...I will connect you with a Club member how recently completed. Jeff
Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
Bill - check your email...I will connect you with a Club member how recently completed. Jeff
He reached out, thanks Jeff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: