Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Default Texas Mile 278.2 GT

2,000HP Ford GT Clocks 278 MPH Obliterates Texas Mile Record
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Well it wasn't on Billboards...

But what tire can last a mile at 200+ a lot?? Even F-1 tires don't touch 200 for more than 5 seconds or so.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Tires

I think he was on Hoosiers, they plan on getting to high 280's when they run on a smoother surface at the next Texas event.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

That's a blink away from 300MPH-T/F territory.
I wonder if it is sprayed-two turbos at nuts boost would benefit from spray to cool the charge.
Wish we could see the tech specs...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post

But what tire can last a mile at 200+ a lot?? Even F-1 tires don't touch 200 for more than 5 seconds or so.
I remember watching the Bughatti 253mph run on tv and the tire guys told the driver they had no idea on how long the tires would last. They had no data for that speed. They estimated 10-15 minutes max, and those tires were not cheap.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks for posting those guys are getting serious in Texas. What length is the runway. i know in the early 80's I hit 250+ before the car started to lift. recently had a test Bugatti run on the NASA runway that use to be used for the space shuttle. I wrote about this in another thread. I hit 240 and sut it down since you need a third of a mile to stop. Super Veyron proto had more in at i wasn't trying to kill myself. Good points on the tires.

Last edited by OnyxRider; 11-01-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:

Perhaps they were special tires similar to the tires used at the Salt Flats by the Land Seed Racers.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Tires

Quote:

He is above 200 for less than 9 seconds the whole run is less than 30 and they use a parachute for reducing stopping distance. It is all about heat in the tires
I would guesstimate that the GT's run is over and close to stopped before a Veyron gets to 200 another plus is the GT is far lighter so it's tires are seeing
much lower loading and thus less heat. I would be far more worried about the Veyrons tires going from 200 to 240 and back to 0 because of the time available for heat build up. Think about those NASCAR tanks running around Taladega averaging over 200 for lap after lap before the restrictor plates were required, the banking g loading produces even more heat.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
He is above 200 for less than 9 seconds the whole run is less than 30 and they use a parachute for reducing stopping distance. It is all about heat in the tires
I would guesstimate that the GT's run is over and close to stopped before a Veyron gets to 200 another plus is the GT is far lighter so it's tires are seeing
much lower loading and thus less heat. I would be far more worried about the Veyrons tires going from 200 to 240 and back to 0 because of the time available for heat build up. Think about those NASCAR tanks running around Taladega averaging over 200 for lap after lap before the restrictor plates were required, the banking g loading produces even more heat.
A Veyron hits 200 mph in 22.2 sec. The SS version will do it in 20. Tire expansions comes int to play too.There are a lot of factors involved in this type of event.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyhales View Post
A Veyron hits 200 mph in 22.2 sec. The SS version will do it in 20. Tire expansions comes int to play too.There are a lot of factors involved in this type of event.
Yeah but the one I was using was closer to Super Veyron, actually a test car proto.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bruce and Hales make good tire points. I still think 200 + for 9 seconds is the obvious ('Cause they did it) limit for Hoosiers or 'Cup tires. The Cup guys change them every 20 or so laps on the long tracks touching a 200 average.
Certainly the 'chute removes a lot of the heat soak into the tires from the brakes. Wonder if nitrogen helps race tires run cooler??

But I still wanna know how this produces 5+ HP/CI. A ProStock 500 inch engine makes 3.5HP/CI -but without boost. So how much boost? How do you keep the heads on? How big intercoolers? Spray??
Sorry-I love the tech and can't get it.

Bruce, will your NA GT touch 200? And what came with it-Goodyear F-1's?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

I had heard that Veryon tires were running over $10,000 each and can run up and past $15k each. Expensive hobby!

Bugatti Veyron: 2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport Review - Car and Driver
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I had heard that Veryon tires were running over $10,000 each and can run up and past $15k each. Expensive hobby!

Bugatti Veyron: 2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport Review - Car and Driver

Yeah that info may be updated. Just under 40,000 grand for 4 tires. They use to say after the 4th set the wheels had to be stress tested for cracks. Wheels another 12 grand each if i recall to be replaced. I know this is dated info and not sure what it is now.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Bruce and Hales make good tire points. I still think 200 + for 9 seconds is the obvious ('Cause they did it) limit for Hoosiers or 'Cup tires. The Cup guys change them every 20 or so laps on the long tracks touching a 200 average.
Certainly the 'chute removes a lot of the heat soak into the tires from the brakes. Wonder if nitrogen helps race tires run cooler??

But I still wanna know how this produces 5+ HP/CI. A ProStock 500 inch engine makes 3.5HP/CI -but without boost. So how much boost? How do you keep the heads on? How big intercoolers? Spray??

They were probably some sort of drag tire. They won't be racing slicks.
Top Fuel dragsters are limited to "only" 500cid and they run 8,000 hp. Mind you the motors are rebuilt after every run.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyhales View Post
They were probably some sort of drag tire. They won't be racing slicks.
Top Fuel dragsters are limited to "only" 500cid and they run 8,000 hp. Mind you the motors are rebuilt after every run.
For 4 seconds then a rebuild, the Ford is only 331 CID and has to stand
multiple passes on the mile with no rebuild
Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
OK so that's 6.1 HP/CI. Please tell me how Bruce-and your GT's top speed from my other post?
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Tires etc.

Quote:

The guy that built their engine has made 1900 with a 4.6 drag engine so yes it is possible. I don't know the particulars of this build but John Mihovetz is a genius with Mod engines, his blown mustang does 241 in a 1/4 mile. He uses lots of boost (60 psi) and compression and pulls spark to make it work or so I am told.

Chas all GT's are blown stock, some have custom turbo's only a few race cars were naturally aspirated due to rules. My car has a 4.0 liter Whipple running 26.5 lb of boost. I am into road racing so I have lots of drag inducing features that hurt top end but help down force. My car reached 190 at Fontana on the front straight starting at about 60 mph coming off the road course and would have gone faster had I not chickened out going into turn 1. To get really big speed numbers in the standing mile you have to be over 1000 rwhp, my car is only 862 rwhp. I am down on power but have no turbo lag which is much better on a road course if you are old and slow like me. I think I might be able to hit 200 in the standing mile but might have to pull the wing to do it.
My car came with GoodYear F1's but they are junk in my opinion, I first replaced them with Michelin PS2's for street use but love my Hoosiers for the track, they stick like nothing else. The Hoosiers are really good in mile events because they handle the acceleration well and can tolerate high speeds too.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Great info thanks Bruce.
To try your patience one more time, the Hoosiers you speak of (and I'm guessing they used); what model and compound?
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
This is true. And I did mention they got rebuilt after each run.

Another good example though is Poteet and Main's "Speed Demon" streamliner that runs 450mph+ at the Salt Flats. They use a blown 347 making 2200hp. They've done 404mph with a blown 289 making 1400hp.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Tires

Quote:
Great info thanks Bruce.
To try your patience one more time, the Hoosiers you speak of (and I'm guessing they used); what model and compound?
I am guessing but probably 345x30x19 in R6 or maybe A6, I use 345x30x19 A6 and 255x30x18 in A6