21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Factory Five, 409 CID, 6 Speed
Default New Guy-Need GT40 guidance for a build

Guys, great forum ! Lots of really helpful info here from a knowledgeable group, thanks in advance for some tips and info on finding the right GT40 Kit for a build. I'm not new to kit cars and performance machines, I built a gorgeous Factory Five AC MK II kit but sadly I flipped it (twice) and walked away from the carnage without a scratch (pictures attached).

So now I want to build a GT40, the other Ford racing icon, so I can have a roof and an AC unit...don't be too harsh about the AC unit, my fiance insisted or it will be driven without a passenger.

The 750 HP racing engine from the wreck will find a new home in this GT40 so I am looking for a solid car, frame, drive train, and suspension. I'm not rolling in doe but am not unrealistic about costs. I'm a 5 axis CNC machinist with 40 years of making high precision parts for lots of stuff including Chip Foose cars and other nifty racing items. I know what is needed and it will get some great custom goodies. I just need some experienced input and appreciate anything you kind folks can offer up.

Thank you again for your advice!
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2016, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5

We love to help you spend your money, so I guess the first question is- what is your budget?
Lots of good GT40 kits out there along with pricing, originality, etc... that will all need to be considered when searching.

Have you begun your online search yet? That would be a good way to get started and get a feel for what is available at what price points and build style and/or complexity.

Good luck with your search.

Bob
Old 03-13-2016, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI

I can't help you with the GT-40, but I love the dry sump in your Cobra.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thank you for the responses. The dry sump was a helava motor for this car, weight was down to about 1970 lbs with about 15 gallons of VP110. Far too much hp for this little car but it was lots of fun until she bit me.

As for my budget, I cashed out on the insurance so there's $75K to work with but I'm not sure how much I wanna spend on the car, obviously less is more sometimes. I looked at the ERA but he's not making any more, spoke with him directly and a$ked if $ome kind of $pecial arrangement$ could be made, he said no but thank$.

I'm looking at the RCR, nice construction, modest price, rolling chassis and various build levels available, also their "superlight" may be an option. I like the larger cabin (good for future sale), wider tires in the rear, etc.

I looked at some of the South African cars, very pricey, and while I hear rave reviews of the Superformance, again the premium just seems not worth it when compared to cars like the ERA, said to be the best kit for the money..hard to make an apples to apples comparison. Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA

If you are looking to save money by building some of the components, then that rules out Superformance. They only come as a roller. I am not familiar with the rest of them enough to say. There seem to be a few Bailey's out there, but I do not know if they only come as a roller as well. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: FFR MK IV 427W
Default Size issues

I am interested in the feedback to your post. I just visited the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles and was told the GT 40 Ford built in the late 80s or 90s, not sure when, was much bigger than the original. I am curious about the size of the Superperformance size and some of the others. I am 6'4" and fit fine in my FFR MK IV but am looking for the next project so will be watching for size comments. Henry
Old 03-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

ERA no longer offers the GT40.

And you flipped the FF5 TWICE?!?!? No offense, but does "cause and effect" not register with you?

If you want a "Kit" the RCR is probably the way to go. Yes, the Superformance costs much more but it is a very different car from the kits. I would postulate that it is not what you want at all.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-13-2016, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcww View Post
I am interested in the feedback to your post. I just visited the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles and was told the GT 40 Ford built in the late 80s or 90s, not sure when, was much bigger than the original. I am curious about the size of the Superperformance size and some of the others. I am 6'4" and fit fine in my FFR MK IV but am looking for the next project so will be watching for size comments. Henry
I think you are referring to the 2005-2006 Ford GT (like the one as my picture). It is larger than the original GT40 but still small. But you won't find one for less than about 300K and from your description I don't think would satisfy your track orientation.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

I was doing about 40 mph when I hit a patch of sand and gravel from gravel trucks that frequent that stretch of road, the cobra just pitched sideways and hit a curb, flipped over after tearing the driver's side wheels almost completely off the car (hanging on only by the steering rod ends), and rolled down an embankment. Emergency crews thought I was a bystander when they arrived, thought the "body" was still behind the wheel as the car landed upside down, they were understandably a bit stunned when I introduced myself as the driver. Lucky yes but not the result of aggressive driving, just bad luck and good luck at the same time.

Hope I can get more thoughts about other kits compared the the RCR, thanks.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5

For the money, it will be hard to beat the RCR kit. Give Fran a call at RCR and have a conversation with him. He is great to discuss this with and will help you with all your questions.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I have my ERA GT40 for sale and I am in Costa Mesa CA if you would consider to buy a finished car

Maui
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2016, 03:16 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Look at Tornado, similar in construction technique to your FF5.

TSC GT40 Prices

Scott who handles the US sales is a straight up guy and will help you get what you want.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-14-2016, 05:17 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: A Cobra

You may want to consider the RCR Gt40.

I am currently in my build and have been very happy with the support.

I do have a slight advantage in that I can run over to Fran's shop and look at things other cars have.

AND, they have a wonderful GT-R that Dean Lampe is building - his build is on GT40s and this site.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tru
Old 03-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: A Cobra

Additional note, I tried to fit into the Superformance and it was too short for my 6'4" body.

Make sure the car you are going to get - you can get in and out.

Tru
Old 03-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478

I suppose you should look into CAV GT40s. They have a very nice mono chassis.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"

Last edited by Igofastr; 03-14-2016 at 02:01 PM..
Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: jbl

Not what you asked for, but I see a lot of unfinished or unstarted ff cobras on their website frequently, buy one in the $teens and do it again, without the flips! Looks like you already have the parts. Thing about the closed coupes I don't like is the visibility is close to nothing, forward is just about all you can count on.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69

Have a look at Absolute Pace.....i think for the price with our low Aussie dollar there wouldnt be a better buy. Full alloy tub, inboard suspension, billet everything and the best finished out of the mould panels you will see.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thumbs up 40s.......

Op,
Head on over to gt40s.com! You will be busy a couple months doing research. In most responses to,"which one is best?" the answers are all over the board. The most cost effective way is to buy a used one!! :O)

I would suggest looking at as many as you can before pulling the trigger. Sit in all of them, and go for a ride if you can. They mostly look the same on the outside, but are just like cobras in fit,finish, construction etc. I have a couple of them, so if you want send a pm with your contact info. Too much to type here!

Happy hunting! (I have a couple of FFCobras too) Scott:cool
Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Werk77 289FIA

I bought last year an unfinished DRB, that gave me an opportunity to get a feel for an GT40 - build and drive.
Well----------- my next project will be a GT40 and RCR is my choice.

First,
Made in the USA.

Second,
that tub is just darn sexy

Third,
all the Mistakes are done before I even had a chance (many builds on gt40s.com)

The bang for the buck is great and if you do all yourself it is not a loss when you sell the car.

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063