12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

This versus that? You must be kidding yes? I'm not even sure the roof of the GT40 would even come up to the door handle of that tank?

Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

It's all about demographics, Refrigerator White Mike.

The 50, 60 and 70 somethings would check out the replica race car. The younger crowd would say "Hey, there's a PTS (Paint-To-Sample) GT3 with LWB (Lightweight Buckets), blah, blah, blah. 0-60 in 3 seconds, top speed 200mph, 11 second 1/4 mile with the A/C on and stereo blasting Drake or 21 Pilots.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

That's a nice assertion based on absolutely nothing but conjecture. Now let me tell you about the real world as a GT40 owner. Isn't that what bothers you all the most is having someone who actually owns one have to correct all the baseless conjecture? The human creature does not like to be wrong but does like to think they know everything.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNCO View Post
Wrong. They might not care less about the Cobra's but rest assured they fall over themselves when a GT40 pulls up. They all know exactly what it is even if they were born 40 years after the fact. The Cobra's to them look like older VWs without a roof. GT3? Yeah, that is cool because their dad has one for his DD grocery getter maybe.
Huh, a Cobra looks like an older VW? Really? Sounds like you have Cobra and Porsche envy. Or you're a troll or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNCO View Post
That's a nice assertion based on absolutely nothing but conjecture. Now let me tell you about the real world as a GT40 owner. Isn't that what bothers you all the most is having someone who actually owns one have to correct all the baseless conjecture? The human creature does not like to be wrong but does like to think they know everything.
Actually, yours is conjecture as well, though mine is well-reasoned.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

deleted.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Nissan

MrRodnock
Stop typing.
Not every thread is about you.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
MrRodnock
Stop typing.
Not every thread is about you.
How about this gem from you yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
that's a bummer, spend over $130K for a hobby car and it comes with problems.

happier smiles in your future!
You own a Nissan Leaf and take the NY Metro system. And you have zero to offer this forum, other than insulting Cobra owners. Oh, and you have been offering advice on Cobras for a while now, when you've never driven or owned one. And never will. So, you stop typing. Go away.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
How about this gem from you yesterday:

You own a Nissan Leaf and take the NY Metro system. And you have zero to offer this forum, other than insulting Cobra owners. Oh, and you have been offering advice on Cobras for a while now, when you've never driven or owned one. And never will. So, you stop typing. Go away.
You are lonely, typing just to read about yourself. Sad.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX 4145, aluminum body and Shelby aluminum FE stroker

Quote:
I think the altitude is getting to ya.

Mike is calling us old farts? That's the pot calling the kettle black. Anyone under the age of something around 45-50 could care less about the GT40. No windows? You have to perform Olympic gymnastic movements just to get into the darn thing.

Nope, the younger crowd, like our resident dingleberry, NYC Guy, would gravitate to the GT3. So, it really depends on the age of the crowd in the parking lot. Personally, I'd check out both, but I steer first to the GT3, because it's NOT a replica and the GT3 has a coolness about it.

Even the Real One sold his Shelby Cobra replica and purchased a GT3RS.

Not to stir the pot, but I fall into that younger demographic (Mike H in Colorado, I bet I am younger than you, you old fart), and there are only two Porsches that interest me- the Carrera GT and the 918 spyder.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Not to stir the pot, but I fall into that younger demographic (Mike H in Colorado, I bet I am younger than you, you old fart), and there are only two Porsches that interest me- the Carrera GT and the 918 spyder.
I'll stir the pot further. There's chronological age and then there's biological age.

No doubt both are awesome Porsche's, but as someone who owns a FGT and CSX4000, you're biased, but in a good way.

I still think the preponderance of the 20, 30 and 40 somethings would flock to the modern cars, including but not limited to the GT3's. But that's just my opinion of our local car shows and cars and coffee here in Silicon Valley. They'll check out the replicas, Cobras, GT40s, Porsche Speedsters, etc., but they hang around the modern manufactured cars.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
I'll stir the pot further. There's chronological age and then there's biological age.

No doubt both are awesome Porsche's, but as someone who owns a FGT and CSX4000, you're biased, but in a good way.

I still think the preponderance of the 20, 30 and 40 somethings would flock to the modern cars, including but not limited to the GT3's. But that's just my opinion of our local car shows and cars and coffee here in Silicon Valley. They'll check out the replicas, Cobras, GT40s, Porsche Speedsters, etc., but they hang around the modern manufactured cars.
Yeah, do agree with you. I go to the local cars and coffee events, and even here in the sticks, very few of the, say, 25 and younger crowd pay much attention to any of my cars (save for the FGT). They don't know a hemi from a six pack. And I know that the Porsches are damn superb cars. Aesthetically though, they just don't do it for me. I guess that's why we have multiple manufacturers.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Yeah, do agree with you. I go to the local cars and coffee events, and even here in the sticks, very few of the, say, 25 and younger crowd pay much attention to any of my cars (save for the FGT). They don't know a hemi from a six pack. And I know that the Porsches are damn superb cars. Aesthetically though, they just don't do it for me. I guess that's why we have multiple manufacturers.
There are all sorts of anomalies like the 1997 Acura Integra Type R. Written by Colin Comer, a Shelby enthusiast. I don't understand it, and I don't like it, but the younger generation loves them. Who would have figured?

Acura Integra Type R Buyer's Guide

I'll I know is that the older fuddy duddy cars get overlooked, when cars like these show up.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Here's a 2011 Porsche Speedster. Yes, yes, completely different car than the GT3, but I love convertibles. They only made 356 (magic number ), asking around $250,000-ish. Essentially FGT money.

I'll be honest with you, I've been a Shelby enthusiast alot longer than I have been a Porsche enthusiast, and that FGT is a bucket list car for me, BUT, I think I'd buy the 2011 Speedster over the FGT. You can drive it and fixing it wouldn't be an issue. And they're cool to me.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Demographics

Quote:
It's all about demographics, Refrigerator White Mike.

The 50, 60 and 70 somethings would check out the replica race car. The younger crowd would say "Hey, there's a PTS (Paint-To-Sample) GT3 with LWB (Lightweight Buckets), blah, blah, blah. 0-60 in 3 seconds, top speed 200mph, 11 second 1/4 mile with the A/C on and stereo blasting Drake or 21 Pilots.
I have taken my Ford GT, Cobra and Porsche to several different venues (separately) and you are correct. Younger people are interested in the GT3 because it is a current car that they actually know something about. They have a passing interest in the Ford GT because they do not see them very often and most like the aesthetics. They will walk right by my Cobra unless they hear it running which sometimes changes their opinion. Some are fascinated when they hear that it is an original car because they have never seen anything other than a replica. With older folks it is just the opposite they love the Cobra, like the GT and could care less for the GT3.
I really like the looks of a GT40 but I too am an old fart. I have always been able to overlook physical discomfort for performance but would never do that
just to impress someone else especially if the performance was sub par compared to other vehicles. I have never been a Porsche admirer or fan up till now, but that 991 GT3 does everything so damn well I am amazed. Talk about mechanical perfection, those 9000 rpm shifts are really fun to hear. When I take the Cobra out to run it I have to wear old clothes because I know I am going to be working on something. All I do with the Porsche is add fuel, it is just well engineered and reliable.
I hate to admit it but think the young people have it right, the new stuff is way better.

PS The Cobra is still faster than the GT3, but lots of drama involved.
The Ford GT is also faster on a race course but can't handle more than a few race laps before IAT calls for limp home mode.
The GT3 just keeps on going till you get tired.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WFjaju59k[/ame]

This video shows how long you can run hard before intake air gets so hot that it goes into limp home mode.

Last edited by Cobra #3170; 07-11-2016 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: video
Old 07-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

I was at a college graduation party last month and one of the kid's parents showed up in a 918 Spyder. I have to say, it stopped me in my tracks as soon as I saw it and I just left my family and went to check it out. Quite an amazing piece of machinery to be sure. But to me it's like apples and oranges when comparing to a GT40, Cobra or whatever. There is a place for all of them in this world.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Default I sold a 991 911S

I just sold a 991 911S. It was a car I wanted for a long time. The odd thing was the car was not as much fun to drive as I thought it would be. It was too good, too easy to drive fast. To feel like you were going fast you had to be going obscenely fast.

I can't speak to a GT40 but I believe the concept is the same. In the Cobra the experience is amplified. The car will step out on you if you don't know what you are doing. It will step out if you do know what you are doing. I find it much more ...... Pleasing...refreshing...exciting.....rewarding. I like to work on it.

My vote the GT40. You have the nice rides to travel. It should be a step up from the cobra.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
there are only two Porsches that interest me- the Carrera GT and the...
There are very few cars that deserve a spot next to my GT40. The CGT is one of them.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I bet if you put the top down this looks like a big blue bathtub

Old 07-11-2016, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I have taken my Ford GT, Cobra and Porsche to several different venues (separately) and you are correct. Younger people are interested in the GT3 because it is a current car that they actually know something about. They have a passing interest in the Ford GT because they do not see them very often and most like the aesthetics. They will walk right by my Cobra unless they hear it running which sometimes changes their opinion. Some are fascinated when they hear that it is an original car because they have never seen anything other than a replica. With older folks it is just the opposite they love the Cobra, like the GT and could care less for the GT3.
I really like the looks of a GT40 but I too am an old fart. I have always been able to overlook physical discomfort for performance but would never do that
just to impress someone else especially if the performance was sub par compared to other vehicles. I have never been a Porsche admirer or fan up till now, but that 991 GT3 does everything so damn well I am amazed. Talk about mechanical perfection, those 9000 rpm shifts are really fun to hear. When I take the Cobra out to run it I have to wear old clothes because I know I am going to be working on something. All I do with the Porsche is add fuel, it is just well engineered and reliable.
I hate to admit it but think the young people have it right, the new stuff is way better.

PS The Cobra is still faster than the GT3, but lots of drama involved.
The Ford GT is also faster on a race course but can't handle more than a few race laps before IAT calls for limp home mode.
The GT3 just keeps on going till you get tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WFjaju59k

This video shows how long you can run hard before intake air gets so hot that it goes into limp home mode.

Nice driving. What are you using for the intake setup for your Whipple? The GT Guys cold air kit? Something else custom? Or just the factory airbox?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Oh, and you have been offering advice on Cobras for a while now, when you've never driven or owned one
Sounds like some other people I know just swap out Cobra for GT40