LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop
Like you, I have a SPF Cobra and awed at the quality and fit. I'm sure their GT40 replicar is just as nice; however, I'm really partial to the Mk I lines. I'm still baffled why they went for the Mk III..
According to SPF's website, a Mk I and an FIA version will be available at some point this year.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: TBD

Hi Guys,

Been looking at a GT-40 replica for some time now; from my research ERA, CAV and SPF were the top tier vendors. I too like the smooth lines of the Mark I. I have orderd an SPF with Gurney bubbles on both sides to be delivered in Gulf Livery, replicating Number 6 of LeMans fame.

SPF will build the car in both Mark I and Mark II formats, I have manufacturing slot #41....missed number 40 by one number... and expect the roller in the September timeframe. SPF has entered into a licensing realtionship with the holder of the GT40 trademark and their cars will be called GT40's.

I'm installing a stroked Aluminum 351 with Webers behind /beside the ZF 5- speed transaxle.

Some SPF GT40 pics in my gallery. My second choice would have been the CAV, I drove one and loved the feel of the car.

Tony R.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Guys,

Just got the aluminum block on order and starting the build process on the motor. I've talked to the RED guys in Reno and they have an SPF GT40 Mark II that they are bringing to the Western states cobra Bash next weekend.

I am considering RED for the assembly, they are in the midst of sorting out what it takes to mate the Engine/transaxle and putting the car on the road.

Tony R.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block

Why the twin Gurney bubbles? I don't think #6 had 2...
Anyway, it would be fun to do a "tribute" car of one of the historic ones and try to replicate it as close as possible. Do you have Ronnie Spain's book? He documents every one pretty accurately and the pics are nice enough for a rough reference.
Good luck on the build; oh and is the Coupe sold?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi Ray,

I have some big and tall wide body friends.....the seats are 3" wider, the tribute car is going to be in my garage for along time.

My life has changed a lot, lost my wife of 24 years three years ago, daughters graduated from college and I am getting married in a few weeks. My new bride and I have decided to build "our" house......this will include at least six garages along with everything else we both want in our future years togther.

Having the Shelby, Daytona Coupe and the GT side by side is a picture in my head and a reality we are working to make happen.

Tony R.

"Disconnecting from change does not recapture the past, it loses the future"
Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Wow! Congrats.

You're a lucky man to be able to realize this dream. It's one of mine (have the 3 legendary cars side by side in my garage). And... your having found a new partner to share it with is icing on the cake. Good luck and kudos all around!

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B

I know the SPF is a roller, and I believe the ERA is as well. I'm wanting to build from the ground up, anyone know where to look?

Thanks, Terry
Old 05-22-2006, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Size 10 Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood Cobra
I know the SPF is a roller, and I believe the ERA is as well. I'm wanting to build from the ground up, anyone know where to look?

Thanks, Terry
Go to gt40s.com. There are a couple scratch- builders there.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood Cobra

Thanks, Terry
Just realized this is a GT40 thread...oops deleted my post, sorry

Last edited by *13*; 05-22-2006 at 01:39 PM..
Old 05-22-2006, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B

I finished my first Cobra back in February, I really didn't run into anything that caused me any trouble so to speak, it really was a lot of fun to build. The GT looks like it's more technical so that is a concern. Also there seems to be quite a bit more "after initial purchase" expenses to the GT. Or at least the parts seem to be much more costly. Could turn it into a little longer term project than a cobra. Still, it would be such an awesome ride!

I did look at the ERA website, quite extensive. And it answered a lot of questions. I know they also have a very good reputation.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

>>The GT looks like it's more technical so that is a concern. Also there seems to be quite a bit more "after initial purchase" expenses to the GT. Or at least the parts seem to be much more costly.<<

Which is another reason why the "turnkey minus" concept works better for a lot of people. Essentially, the GT40 (CAV GT) is like a Formula car with a full body. It employs racing brakes, a racing clutch, and a suspension system that allows for virtually any tuning and adjustments you'd ever need. My CAV, with a crate 302 and the Audi Getrag transaxle, is worry-free and relatively inexpensive so far. It is an absolute dream to drive; once the car is dialed in, you won't believe what it can do in the twisties, even with street tyres.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.

I'm so,oooo sad ! I've been researching GT-40's a bit and according to what I've seen, a CAV,SPF and Roaring Forty's ect.. (top of the line and built correctly) when all said & done, cost is apx. say $100k. Way, out of my price range. I would sell my 427 Cobra right now for a GT. Guess I'll keep.............. dreaming.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

Funfer:

Don't give up on the dream. After all, if all you had to do was write a check, anyone could do it. Most of the cars (even ERA's) don't have to be paid for all at once. One way or another you could do it on installments. That's how I did my first GT; made a deposit, made some payments and then sold my ERA427SC for the balance... and then finished it off as I could afford it. It admittedly took awhile, but, I did it.

Jim
Old 06-27-2006, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Jim, you right, never give up. In your gallery, is that your dark (black or blue) with the yellow strip yours or the other one. It's great looking. Pics are small, any others ? Tell me about your ERA build ect......
Thanks,
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

Funfer:

ERAGT2038 was my first ERAGT; dark metallic green with a yellow stripe. I built the car I 1990-91 and sold it approx. 9 years later. I am in the process of building up ERAGT2077 which is a dark metallic blue with an orange stripe.

Besides having the newer stainless chassis, the new GT has right hand drive, a roll cage and the body has been modified to look like the Gulf GTs as ultimately raced in 1969.

The ERAGT is admittedly a more complex car to build than their ERA427SC or FIA, but they hold your hand all along the way and so long as you don't deviate materially from their scheme, the cars go together in a very straight forward way. To me that has been the most compelling reason for dealing with ERA over the past 25 years; their enthusiastic support and the well thought out engineering of their cars.

Jim

PS: I will post some pictures of the new car.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Jim, it's a beautiful car. The ERA is one of the best. You being a great replica builder, what do you think of the company "RCR" and their GT-40. It looks like a great, well thought car, full of quality components. The price of 42k for a monocoque chassis, all billet construction, seems like a very nice full kit. What do you think between ERA and RCR ? Body shape, chassis, suspension, interior ect...and price ?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Kevin:

I obviously have no experience in putting together an RCR, nor any experience with dealing with the company, much less the level of support that they give to a purchaser of one of their kits.

I can only tell you that my priorities in dealing with a company have been more than satisfied in my now twenty plus year experience with the folks up at ERA. I have always felt that they have given me solid value for my money (in no small measure because I have always been able to sell my ERAs for more than I have in them). Too, besides the great customer support and being able to recoup my investment, I have always felt that ERA has engineered a solid car (and keeps on making improvements), that looked right and for which I never had to make any apologies for any material change from the original cars. As to the cost of doing these cars, I believe that, ultimately, if a car is done to the same standard the investment into it will be essentially the same and, as I previously indicated, in my experience any differential has been returned to me on the sale of my ERA.

My suggestion is always to narrow your "top draft choices" down to a couple of companies and take the time to go and visit their shops, see how the cars are fabricated and, most of all, talk to every owner you meet about their experience with their car. Due diligence being the watchword.

J
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your advise & opinion. I'll keep on researching various company's (mainly ERA and RCR) & owners.