28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Exclamation ERA GT40 wanted

I'm in the market for an ERA GT40, preferably finished but without the engine. This means I'll have to give up my ERA 427SC, which has a fresh 427 side oiler and tunnel-port heads.

If anyone has any leads on a MkI or Mk II, I would appreciate the information.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE

Call Peter at ERA...He has a new toy over there.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER

I just deleted the item number of an ERA GT40 on ebay. It was a no sale but had a by it now price of $72,000.00(I think). It really was a nice car!! Call Peter he might know the guy that was trying to sell it. It was red with full cross over exhaust, I think ERA put it together(turn key). I don't think you could build one for any less. Matt.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks, guys. I will follow up on your suggestions.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA w/ itsy bittsy 289

Car number 2027 will be for sale as soon as the Vintage Race Boss 302 that Walt Hane is building is ready. The GT-40 is Saphire Blue with white stripe, RT hand drive with Phil Schmitt wheels and Blue streaks. The motor is currently out for rebuilt. It is/and will be again a fairly stock Boss 302 block with G/W heads and webers. The car has working A/C. The car has about 4000 miles on it with about 80% being track miles, so the body is not perfect and has a few war wounds. We will be replacing the current windshield which cracked from track use.
If interested you can contact me at rallen@symons.com

MF
Old 06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

MF: Thanks for the information. Thing happened faster than I thought they would. I've just committed to purchasing 2002, a very nice car. Power is modest, what with a 302, but it's realistic. Nice turnkey ERA . . . and I found it about 500 miles away.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Here's what the ERA GT40 looks like. Because I get cabin fever in the winter, I've cured the problem with an enclosed, heated car. But my wife put her foot down. She said, "You're not selling the Cobra." That blew me away. And I thought she didn't like the wind messing up her hair, the noise and heat. Turns out all that stuff is part of the Cobra experience. There's nothing like a Cobra. My brother is even trying to get me to trade it for his 2002 Z06 Corvette, plus a significant amount of change. I took him for a ride in the Cobra, and that was two years ago.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Looks to be very nice car....Our car is not in as good a shape, its about 12 years old or so...with a lot of track miles.....Its amasing the motor lasted as long as it did before going "poof"
Hope you have fun....
MF
Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi MF: Thanks for the comments. What's amazing about this car is it's ERA 2002, so the car has been pampered . . . only tracked one time. Power is a 302, but what is inside, I don't know. Hope to get the build sheet soon. But for now, I don't have to wait for the sun to go down before going for a ride.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thats great......the best way to do these cars is to buy a "used" version. Most have lead a sheltered life as this one has. All the headaches of assembly and sorting have been done. Be aware that they are a high maintence vehicle if taken seriously to the track.....and any off road excusions will be very costly...thats why we are going to a more stout 69 Boss 302 to Vintage race....The GT-40 is a timeless body style, if we could, I'd keep it just to look at in the shop.....ERA is a great bunch of guys, I've known Peter for about 20 years...none better, as long as you keep him fed with large slabs of red meat.

MF
Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

Murt:

Good to see that you are still alive and the Missus hasn't come to her senses and buried your miserable bones behind the garage/tulip shed.

Scutt

PS: Are you planning to go to VIR the end of this month?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!

Speed....That wouldn't happen to be Tim Achenbach's old ERA (Reading, PA), would it?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

John: That would be it, ERA2002.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!

You've got a great GT40 there, Tim loves his toys, we saw that car run the one time at Watkins Glen.

Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi John: Tim told me he tracked it once. He has a stack of racing rubber sitting in his garage waiting for his new turn-key ERA GT. Heading out with the trailer to pick it up in the AM.

We are about to get a new series of questions. Not only "is it real" or "is it a kit" with the Cobra, but "is it a Ferrari", "the new Ford GT", or just a puzzled look. Driving the '66 Mustang is so much simpler.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS

If you are interested in a completed fully sorted ERA GT let me know. This one may be available soon.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

He still hasn't gotten that new car???? Its been a year now since we were hearing "any day now".

The Stang may be cheaper but that 40 is the cat's meow!!!!! I've always loved the ERA GT40. Enjoy it, be safe and try and get used to that rear window poking you in yer head on take off.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing
If you are interested in a completed fully sorted ERA GT let me know. This one may be available soon.
Thanks Bret, but I am officially out of the replica market. I have donwsized, paid off some debt and taking life easy for a change.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed220mph

We are about to get a new series of questions. Not only "is it real" or "is it a kit" with the Cobra, but "is it a Ferrari", "the new Ford GT", or just a puzzled look. Driving the '66 Mustang is so much simpler.
Those are tough problems to have. I feel for you

And congrats on the car!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default red gt 40

I remember a red GT at Watkins Glen a few years ago. I just came out of the esses at about 130 heading for 160 on the back straight when all of a sudden this red GT blows by me on the inside and than he brakes hard for the boot and the guy throws the car sideways first right then left his back wheels kicking up grass and pebbles as he struggles to avoid being buried in the sand pit. Wow what a show and what a driver. When the session was over I went looking for the driver and all I could find was this old man with the long gray beard and ponytail standing next to the GT and I had to assume it was the owners father.

Probably not the same car that was just sold.

RD