14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Default Ride quality, view ect.....?

Someone just wrote me saying that the GT-40 is a very demanding street car, creepy in traffic, even on a cool day, you have to run the a/c, the sun from the windshield cooks you, the view around you is bad, that several people he knows say the same thing about the car, that the cobra is funner to drive and have gone back to the cobra. Are these facts or fiction ?
I've posted that I may.......want to trade my cobra for a "RCR" kit, or one that has not been finished ect. I'm just starting to research the GT40 so, I need any & all advise and opinions please. I would also like to find someone hopefully, close to home, to get a ride and check out these cars out for myself. I live near Lincoln/Omaha, Nebraska.
I'll appreciate any information.

Thank you,
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR Lola Spider

Hi Kevin,

I doubt there are any RCR kits out there ready for trade yet, but you never know. Fran at RCR has been putting a lot of kits out, but I know most of the folks building them and don't know anyone that isn't happy in their build and making progress, but, you could get lucky!

Best,
Ron
Old 07-03-2006, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Yes, I believe that too but, have to try. I would really like to build one myself but, if I sold my cobra, it would not be enough to complete the car. After the cost of the kit of apx. $40k, I figure the motor would be $8k, trans-axle 6K, tires & wheels 3k, miscellaneous parts ect and paint materials. say, 3k, that's apx. $20,000 to finish. Wow, that would take me a long.......time to save.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates 427" Stroker Smallblock with Trick flow heads

Having driven both, I think people like to own a 40 but when the truth is told, prefer driving the Cobra. An open roadster is always going to be more fun to drive, more likened to riding a motorcycle or a really fast horse. As pretty as a GT-40 is, or a Daytona coupe for that matter, it's still a tightly confined car
tougher to get in and out of, and if it's important to you (to me it's not but is to many others whether they admit it or not) tougher to be Seen-In.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2
Yes, I believe that too but, have to try. I would really like to build one myself but, if I sold my cobra, it would not be enough to complete the car. After the cost of the kit of apx. $40k, I figure the motor would be $8k, trans-axle 6K, tires & wheels 3k, miscellaneous parts ect and paint materials. say, 3k, that's apx. $20,000 to finish. Wow, that would take me a long.......time to save.
Kevin,

I think you could do it far cheaper if you wish.

You could use a used 5L Mustang carb motor for $500 for a powerplant to get on the road and it'd still have a lot of poke. I just put a deposit on a standard 302, 95 vintage, with 32k miles and a guarenteed solid runner for $350. I might take it if I need.

A transaxle, if you used an Audi 016, could be had for $250-$500 used in drivable shape. I got a brand new one, albeit on sale, for $1200.

And, I think the kits can be had cheaper depending on what your use. The Deluxe Plus kit, that would have everything including AC, is around $42k but if you are painting and finishing, and use some lower budget items like suggested above, you could be done for under $50k I'm sure.

You could also go in stages and buy the standard kit for like $25k, finish that, and then concentrate on the details.

I know many will argue the merits of using the parts I've suggested, but, the solution is cheap and there are plenty of 40s running in this configuration with Audi boxes and 302 motors of various configurations. I'm sure other companies would do similar type stages too. Kick around, ask questions, and you might be able to figure out a way to manage it, hope you do!

Ron

Last edited by rlearp; 07-03-2006 at 01:03 PM..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

streetwise- ya, I not so flamboyant that I need everyone to see me when I drive, that's for the car shows. I do see that getting in the car, getting over the wide fuel tank is a stretch ! How wide is that ? Do ya sit your bum on it and slide into the seat ???
Ron- the problem with the engine is, id never be happy with a stock small block Ford, I have to have POWER, polished looks and fantastic sound !
The trans-axle, I have no idea about but, it will have to be able to take hp & torque. Sorry, I have no idea what he albeit is, what does it come in and will it take the power ?
I may have to do it in stages like you say. Wonder if the total cost of the stage build is the same total as the deluxe ? Shipping will be more though. I'll check it out.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 07-04-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Do some searching on www.gt40s.com, all your questions have been covered at one point or another, and some, like how much power a Audi transaxle will handle have never been really answered. I do plan to answer that one though!

Power is easy to make. The problem is, you're dealing with a transaxle and not a transmission, so power is hard to contain. That has been covered at length though so I won't go into it again here.

You need to hook up with some GT40 owners and go for some rides or drives. That will help you decide if one is for you or not.

Ron
Old 07-04-2006, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Ron, I'll do what you suggest.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block

Kevin, you just have to have both, that's all.

I don't agree that the Cobra is MORE fun to drive. Both have their own merits. Nothing beats the rush I get on accelerating a BB Cobra. That exhaust rumble is something else too. A little expensive on rear tires.
But driving the GT40 in the twisties...and that howling sound out back from a true 180 degree bundle of snakes and a tuned small block with Webers, unreal.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 07-05-2006, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

Having owned and driven ERAs 427SC, ERA289 and ERAGT, I will tell you that each is a very different driving experience and (depending upon which car I'm in at the moment) each is the best.

ERA has now developed a GT MKII Spyder which I've also driven. With an open "roadster" feel to it, I believe it will respond to those who feel claustrophobic in a regular "hardtop" GT.

Jim

PS: As to a budget for an ERA, the kit is $55k, drivetrain will run $15-25k depending upon how crazy you get, paint is $10k and misc bits and pieces will probably run another $5-10k.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 07-05-2006 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Read my post on FIRST RIDE.

The car is a little tuff geting in and out.. So is my Shelby! But once your in, you dont want to get out. It seems that I was always running out of roads.. it just went to fast. As for the comfort. It is small..but you get used to it very fast and actually I think it is quit roomy. Im really hooked!!
I cant believe it. As I put my car in the garage my shelby's seemed like lost puppies waiting to go out for a walk. Although I love my Shelby's, there is a new kid on the block. Do like Earp sugested go for some rides If you in the Chicago land area, I give you a blast!!

Regards OLIVER

Last edited by oliver350; 07-06-2006 at 09:40 AM..
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

Speaking of not wanting to get out:

Several years ago we took the ERAGTMKII prototype over to Lime Rock to display at the Vintage Races. We all stayed at a camp near by. I went out the first morning to check on the cars and noticed that the windows of the MKII were all fogged up. I opened the door of the car to find Don Durner (a/k/a FEZ) asleep in the driver's seat; blissfully content...

He contended that he was not doing anything nasty...

Jim
Old 07-06-2006, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Sorry for the delay guy's, had server problems.
Jcoop- I'm sure there's a big difference between the two cars. Both your not going to get a Cadillac ride. The Cobra is great when it's not real hot, fairly chilly or raining. At least with the GT, it has roof, windows & A/C !
I wish I were in the position to keep both !
Fran from "RCR" called ME today. What a fantastic gentleman he is. Sorry guy's that love the different manufactures like, RF, ERA, CAV ect..... But, I have decided that Fran and the RCR GT-40 is the way to go for me. I'm WAY.....to excited about this future project. Ideas just filling my head.
I'll really have to think about how much to ask for my Cobra.
I would appreciate you guy's looking at my gallery, asking questions ect...
She will be hard to give up IF, I do this endeavor. I will take my time on this though, no sense in rushing.
Please feel free to add any advise & opinions to this post and to give me real world prices on my Cobra. I'll answer any questions and I have more photo's I can email anyone.
Thanks guy's.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2
Sorry Sorry guy's that love the different manufactures like, RF, ERA, CAV ect..... But, I ha.
Just as an FYI, RF is out of business taking over $500,000 of customer deposits with it. You can read the final part of that mess here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

Ron
Old 07-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Angry Don't Feel Bad

There is only a handfull of people that own Real or replica GT40's. I have had 1965,66,67,68 Shelby's and enjoyed them all. I still have my 66 and 65 but the gt40 is just to addictive for me. I have only had the GT40 a couple of weeks and it's killing me not to sit in it or have a looky before I go to work in the morning. Let's talk depression!! looking foward all week for your day off and it rains So instead of of setting your hair on fire, it is now a WAX ON...WAX OFF day. As for the Shelby's, those are now sunday cruisers when I feel like going SLOW! 120MPH. The adreniline pulse has been cranked up a few notches with the GT. Selling your Cobra won't feel so bad when you strap yourself into one of these road rockets. The first day out on the highway I made a Porsch 911 owner

Best Regards

Oliver
Old 07-07-2006, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

well,my CAV gt40 arrived last night so I am hardly an expert on them,however I made a few observations. It is a pain to get in and out of,so is the cobra but the gt is worse. You do feel somewhat claustrophobic in there, as it is small,but is is comfortable,vision will be an issue in the gt. It is nice to have AC and I should be able to drive anytime. Both cars stir me emotionally just in different ways. All cars like these come with compromise,but they sure are fun. I will update as I obtain more driving time. chuck
Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

oh oliver, I feel so,oooo sorry for you, owning ALL those Shelby's LOL !!!!!!!!
In a way, I know what the rain does for depression. The last three weeks, & maybe this Saturday also, the rain has caused our sprint car racing to be canceled ! We go to all the work of setting it up & washing it only to run hot laps & it rains ! A lot of work for nothing.
Anyway, Now I'm getting even more excited about the POSSABILITY.....of a GT !

Ron- I can't believe RF went belly up ! Hopefully.......through the court system, people can get their money BACK !

Chuck- so is yours ready to drive I take it ? Yes, I can imagine the GT is hard to get in & out of because of the fuel tank's being in the rockers. What do old men (44 years young) like me do, sit my @ss on the tank and slide over ?
Any ideas on the price of my Cobra ? Should I just make a post asking this question ?

Thanks,
Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Kevin,hard to say on your cobra. I think cobra country is the way to go to sell. I had a guy call me about trading my Hunter 427 cobra for his 66gt350 clone which I did,good deal for both of us. The CAV is turnkey,all the goodies,even a set of webers that are not on it yet,it now has a Holley. I too looked into RCR and that is who I would use for a Kit. I just could not justify another car project since I just finished the Kirkham and am working on the 67 mustang fastback restomod for my son and the 66 gt350 needs some finishing touches. Way too many projects. I do tend to like the build process more than the finished product however. chuck
Old 07-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

I also thought it was clausterphobic. But it goes away rather quick.
As you get familiar with the car you will see that it is very comfortable car to drive. Alot of people are scared of the smallness but infact it is very roomy. Get back to us in a couple of weeks of driving to see how you feel then. I will bet you will have the same experience as me. Let us know.

Best regards Oliver!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Oliver,they are beautiful are they not? The shifter seems a little reluctant to go into first gear,any thoughts. RBT ZF transaxle