Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-21-2006, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Default left or right hand drive?

I posted this on the GT forum but I wanted to through it out here as well. I am going to order my RCR next week and Fran has 2 chassis ready to go. One is left and the other is right hand drive. The "model builder" in me wants to go right hand because "that's the way it was" but the practical side says "stay with what you kow" and go with the left hand drive. I would like to try the right hand drive but I have concerns about resale in the states and how hard it will be to pass on those two lane roads. I think it would be a novilty. The left hand drive might appeal to more people when I am tired of it. I already know how to drive on that side of the car.

I am just fishing for some opinions. It is an option that can't really be changed later!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid

I always think about driving on a country road and needing to pass a slow moving truck. Being a RHD car, you'd need to lay back far enough to see around the truck, then let 'er rip to get around.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins

I'd stick with the LHD for all the reasons that you stated....you already know that you'll be familiar with driving on that side....and the resale would probably be higher in the States.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed

Dean... I think it would be based on what you want out of the car.

If you are building it for the fun of it...use it, experience it...and then pass it on.. then I would go for LHD.

If it is a serious keeper, then I think other issues come into play and the decision is harder. I always thought that if I did a GT40, I would pick a specific car to replicate...and it would probably be a RHD.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided

LHD.........safer and helps stabilize resale value.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C

Wish I had your car problems......LOLOL

If you are building a period correct car then RHD is the only way. Would you have put bolt on wheels on that fabulous KMS289?

LHD would be good for a custom car with other not so correct appointments.

If the GT's are anything like cobras replication of the original will retain more value. I would think that holds even with a RHD car. If you were to re-sell its like deciding whether to go with FFR or KMS. Both are great cars but one is closer to the original in appointments versus a newer more custom look.

My vote: RHD
Greatest of luck!
Jeff
Old 10-21-2006, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

You guys aren't much help! On one hand I am absolutley about original look replicas. On the other hand the RHD makes me a little nervous when it comes to driving and resale. I wonder what percentage of GT's are ordered RHD? I think I could get use to driving it. I just want to be able to sell it when I am finished playing. A KMS will always bring more money that a FFR and I understand the comparison with regards to originality but I am not sure the comparison is the same as LHD vs RHD. Most KMS cars run great willwood brakes and better suspension components because they are better not because they are original. Would the cars be worth more with Girling brakes and non adjustable steel control arms?, not to me.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe
.. I just want to be able to sell it when I am finished playing.
Quote:
..Would the cars be worth more with Girling brakes and non adjustable steel control arms?, not to me.
Quote:
... RHD makes me a little nervous when it comes to driving and resale.
You answered your question..... then, LHD it is!

It still will be an awesome car.

It's settled, then.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:13 PM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker

RHD no problem
VK3KDN

Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Thumbs up

Dean,
I have driven both left and right hand drive. To me it just plain feels weird when you are on the track with a rhd car. I just couldn't get used to it. Your mind wants to go one way into a corner and the feeling of being on the other side really throws you off for a second. You can learn to get used to it but why change what you already know how to do well from the left side.
Another thing is safety. When you pass a truck in a RHD once. That will make your decision real easy. Been there, done that, and hated it.
Ron is correct too...you did answer your own question. Besides you had a hard enough time staying on the track at R&G so why make it harder..

Let me know if I can help when you get your new toy.

Hersh
Old 10-22-2006, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Hersh. I think that is the way I am going to go. When I was running through the grass at 100mph in St. Louis I realized how nice it would be to have a car with a roof and a six point cage instead of the beer can I was driving!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

I have driven Safir P1116 on the street and the "passing" thing is not as big a deal as some make it out to be. The thing that really sucks is toll booths!

You get used to the RHD very quickly. I have street time in the RHD 40 as well as a RHD AC Frua 428 (automatic, so the shifting thing was a non-issue.)

I have driven in the UK and done the left hand shift thing, but once again it comes natural after a bit.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: