28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Butler Racing/427 side oiler
Default Gt 40 Please Help

Ok a friend of mine just crashed his GT 40 ..Brand New...theres some damage and the insurance company paid him out ...Now I know it all depends on what is wrong with the car and how bad ....but what would a car with some damage be worth ...lets say body damage and not alot else...what is the frame on thses monsters made of ..also arent they Carbon Fiber...also Who would do work on this car ..cant seem to find anyone that will touch it..I love in Canada West side...ANY help would be great thanks

PS could you take the drivetrain out and slap into a replica body?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006
I have in the past contributed to CC

Send a message via AIM to mj_duell

Did he wreck a GT40 or a Ford GT? If it was the GT then I don't think you will be able to fit the engine/tranny into any of the current GT40 replicas. I suppose you could have a custom frame made (We do that kind of work ), but the 5.4 is way to large for the regular layout. If the insurance company totalled the car odds are it will cost too much to fix it.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Sry ..A ford GT problem here is they say they cant find anyone to work on the car ..what would thins thing be made of?
Frame etc .....I Think I can pick it up for about 50 K Can the way ity sits ?thoughts?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

The GT has a "Friction-Stir" welded aluminum space frame. It weighs 450 lbs! In the little reading I did about them, it doesn't sound like something "Joes Auto Body" could work on. Best do a lot of research before laying down your money. It would scare me!
Larry
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B 66 427W Roadster

It's called a moncoque frame. There is a race car company in Rusk Texas that can build you one to fit all those drive train bits you have if they are good. If you bend that kind of frame it is toast, you have to start over. You could then fabricate or buy the body to fit your frame and drivetrain.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

The frame/tub assembly is available as a service part from Ford. They have commited to having GT parts available for 15 years and have numerous tubs on the shelf. Still would not be a cheap fix but could be less than buying a ready-to-go GT.

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

It would still have a bad title. That could crush the resale value.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
The frame/tub assembly is available as a service part from Ford. They have commited to having GT parts available for 15 years and have numerous tubs on the shelf. Still would not be a cheap fix but could be less than buying a ready-to-go GT.

Rick
True, but if you have $100K lying around to rebuild this car (assuming $50K for the carcass and another $50K in parts and labor), then you most certainly could scratch up another $75K for one that is ready to drive with clean title.

Sad to say, but I have to believe that car is destined for parts. Expensive parts.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Anyone looking for parts for a brand new GT?