Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #593,427 S.O.
Default Going From A Cobra To A Gt40

I just sold ERA#593 (Turk's old car) to a Japanese fellow from Las Vegas who is shipping it to a client in Japan. Undoubtedly, this guy resells them for a lot of yen in Japan. He buys only ERAs and has purchased 15 to date.
I was sorry to see the car leave the country----but the Cobra market is pretty soft, especially this time of year. And the buyer's money was as good as the next guy's (who may never come).
After enjoying the Cobra, I'm looking into a GT40. I love the ERA but most folks tell me I would be hard pressed to finish a quality build for under $125-135K.
Several folks have recommended the SPF which is going up in price from $69K to $79K on January 1,2007. I guess I need to sh-t or get off the pot pretty quick. I won't pay an additional $10K.
Any personal experiences on the driveability of GT40s on the street?
Are they claustrophobic with the fixed side windows? Does the Lexan scratch like mad? I assume rearward vision is bad.
I'm 6 ft 2 in. and 235lbs---will I fit (even with a Gurney bubble)?
I plan to visit Dynamic Motorsports between Christmas and New Years.
A $25K deposit is required----

Regards-Dandy Don
Old 12-18-2006, 06:05 PM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan

Check out the RCR GT 40 they are in Detroit. Dean Lampe a good friend of mine will have his delivered in less than two weeks. He has posted several pictures of his although it is still in Gel-Coat, do a search and look at them, or go to their web site.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 12-18-2006, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy Don
I just sold ERA#593 (Turk's old car) to a Japanese fellow from Las Vegas who is shipping it to a client in Japan. Undoubtedly, this guy resells them for a lot of yen in Japan. He buys only ERAs and has purchased 15 to date.
I was sorry to see the car leave the country----but the Cobra market is pretty soft, especially this time of year. And the buyer's money was as good as the next guy's (who may never come).
After enjoying the Cobra, I'm looking into a GT40. I love the ERA but most folks tell me I would be hard pressed to finish a quality build for under $125-135K.
Several folks have recommended the SPF which is going up in price from $69K to $79K on January 1,2007. I guess I need to sh-t or get off the pot pretty quick. I won't pay an additional $10K.
Any personal experiences on the driveability of GT40s on the street?
Are they claustrophobic with the fixed side windows? Does the Lexan scratch like mad? I assume rearward vision is bad.
I'm 6 ft 2 in. and 235lbs---will I fit (even with a Gurney bubble)?
I plan to visit Dynamic Motorsports between Christmas and New Years.
A $25K deposit is required----

Regards-Dandy Don
Be sure you check out the CAV
http://www.cav.co.za/ and also visit http://www.gt40s.com
I think you'll be surprised at the quality of the new ones.

It can get claustrophobic but the huge windshield makes up for it. Definitely bad rearward vision on ALL these cars.
I installed a wireless rearview TV monitor to help.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.

Ray-very nice GT. I have been researching these cars but, alas, with the engine/trans. combo ect.....I figure apx. 70k, too much for me. If I may ask, what apx. price is yours ? I like yours & Fran's RCR. What drive train do you have ?
It's sitting real nice too.

Thanks,

Last edited by FUNFER2; 12-18-2006 at 07:14 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

I am 6'2 200 pounds and I could not drive the SPF with a helmet on. Maybe not even without the helmet. The RCR has a lot more room. Check out www.gt40s.com There is a lot of info to go through. I suggest you sit in the cars before you put a deposit down. Ther is a picture of my new RCR as a deluxe kit in my gallery. I has not been delivered yet but I am very excited.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2
Ray-very nice GT. I have been researching these cars but, alas, with the engine/trans. combo ect.....I figure apx. 70k, too much for me. If I may ask, what apx. price is yours ? I like yours & Fran's RCR. What drive train do you have ?
It's sitting real nice too.

Thanks,
Thanks, Kevin. Your numbers are about right. I have a lot more than that into mine but I put Webers and a lot of suspension mods into it; which you can do slowly. I have a basic crate 302 with 4 48IDAs, mated to an Audi Getrag 5 spd. It's really a great combo. I wouldn't know what to do with more power than this as it gets away from me occasionally as it is. When I want brute HP, I jump in the Cobra. The GT40 is a real driving machine. Way different than the Cobra in that you always want to finesse it around the twisties, instead of muscling it around corners and stomping on the gas. When you get it right, it almost feels like it just floats around the corners so gracefully and without complaint.
The RCR is a nice one but I like the monocoque chassis in the CAV; and in stainless steel. The new CAVs are supposed to be fantastic in terms of fit and finish. I have yet to see and drive one.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe
I am 6'2 200 pounds and I could not drive the SPF with a helmet on. Maybe not even without the helmet. The RCR has a lot more room. Check out www.gt40s.com There is a lot of info to go through. I suggest you sit in the cars before you put a deposit down. Ther is a picture of my new RCR as a deluxe kit in my gallery. I has not been delivered yet but I am very excited.
Nice. I love the Gulf hips. Congratulations and good luck on the build.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 12-19-2006, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!

I think the biggest point is go set in the cars. If you are not comfortable, you won't enjoy driving the car.

Jcoop, The RCR has an aluminum monocoque that is an absolute work of art. I haven't seen the CAV either. I am sure it is awesome. It is hard to beat the price of the RCR for the quality of components you recieve. I am not saying it is better than any other, just the best for me manily due to my hieght.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe
I think the biggest point is go set in the cars. If you are not comfortable, you won't enjoy driving the car.
I totally agree.

I spent a few minutes sitting in one on my last visit to Dynamic in Ohio and I thought it was a very uncomfortable seating position. I felt like I was laying back way too far. The salesman even commented before I got in that I would not like it. Also very difficult to get into and out of.

Just my personal opinion...to each their own. BTW, I'm 6'2, 205.

But...it is a beautiful car!!

Rodger
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: A Cobra

I am 6'4" and I could not sit in the SPF, my head was sideways.

I would like to ask that you tell us what you end up with and how you did with the head room issue.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hello Gents...
Dean Lampe told me of this thread so I hope you dont mind if I post a picture of the RCR monocoque chassis.

Our chassis body packages start at $25,000 for a starter kit and the deluxe plus as shown by Dean is $42,000.

We have included as many high end components as possible to minimise any upgrading requirements at a later date..... more info here.

http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcr40.html

Thanks

Last edited by Fran Hall RCR; 12-19-2006 at 06:43 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO

welcome over to the cobar site Fran.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Buzz.....there are some seriously cool Cobras round these parts.....
Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Welcome to Club Cobra Fran ! Have you ever thought of doing a spyder ?
There are certainly plus and minus factors to a spyder, but the headroom issue is solved as well as rearward vision with the right type of mirror. I am biased to the Spyder(full disclosure here) because I have one.
The drawbacks are the different (but still original) windshield and the lack of weather protection.
Here is the Sebring winner..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Johan,

here are a couple of pics of one of my clients...6'2" and 265lbs....and he has a prosthesis.....great guy....and room to spare with a roof and no dropped floor or Gurney bump
We already build Mk1, 2 and the elusive Mk4....so I think we have most guys covered in the GT40 world...if not we can build them a P4 or a T70 replica

Last edited by Fran Hall RCR; 12-19-2006 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Yes, but broke the door off trying to get in.

Last edited by Johan; 12-19-2006 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Damn.....I forgot to send him doors...whoops....
Old 12-19-2006, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe

If you're about 5'9" and 170 lbs you'll fit in a GT40 just perfect. For those of us who don't fit that profile there's the Superformance Daytona that provides all the room you can handle. (Most people even have to run the seat a notch or two forward) Jim Price of Hi-Tech (who builds the Superformance GT40s, Daytonas and Nobles) is big guy, well over 220lbs, 6'2" and required that the SPF Daytona fit a man his size. Ask the guys that own one (now over 100 in the US) This is the Cobra that has it all.... Comfort, speed, elegance, and quality. the only negative?....The wait to get one. Badger
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO

ok, but the butt end on those are just plain ugly!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker

I like Fran's car better than the SPF version. I like the fact that you need a skill set beyond check writting to build and drive it Keeps it in the hobby mold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: