Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA #593,427 S.O.
Default RHD versus LHD in GT40?

I've been throwing a lot of bread on the water searching, reading, and listening to comments regarding various GT40s. I have come across both LHD and RHD versions. I guess I can understand the RHD in European versions, I'm just wondering about RHD in the USA. First of all, is it legal in all states?
How tough is it to get used to? I've seen a few very nice cars, but when I see RHD it kind of turns me off. Am I being silly? Having visited the UK many times, it's amazing how different it seems just crossing a busy street or hitting a "roundabout"----you really have to pay serious attention to avoid being creamed! Any thoughts?

Da ndy Don
Old 01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

Cobra Make & Engine: spf

First off its perfectly legal. Thousands of vehicles have rhd in the USA
(post office). They are easy to drive after about ten minutes. The only thing I have trouble doing is making a left hand turn; I want to swing out to far.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

This very subject was discussed here a few weeks ago.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/gt-4...and-drive.html
and here too..
left or right hand drive? - GT40s.com

Last edited by Fran Hall RCR; 01-02-2007 at 08:15 PM..
Old 01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Default A little off topic

Don,

To answer your question go LHD. I have no other reason other than why put yourself into a performance car you will drive occasionally and not feel completely comfortable straight away.

On another thread you were looking for cars (I think). I saw this ad, you may have as well, and believe this to be a car that I have seen several times. It is an awesome machine and might be worth your while to investigate further. If you need more info feel free to PM or email me and I might be able to connect you with a previous owner.

Jamie

For Sale: CAV GT40 (2003 chassis #A158MONOB66). Brittany Blue/Wimbledon White stripes; black interior. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Assembled and serviced by Billy Andrews of HRE Motors in Freeport, New York in late 2003. This fabulous GT40 has less than 1,500 miles, is fully sorted and a great driver--none better. Under the engine deck: 2003 Ford Racing 302 crate engine (M-6007-XBE3) with Ford Racing GT40 aluminum heads assembled, blueprinted and customized by RDI in North Carolina. Features a dual-plane intake with single Holley 670 Street Avenger 4 bbl. carburetor, new Getrag 5-speed hybrid gearbox, Lakewood bellhousing, Hayes clutch, stainless-steel headers/snakes/ mufflers, Pro-Billet distributor and full Cobra dress kit. Dyno specs: 396 hp at 6,300 rpm and 361 ft.lbs. torque at 5,000 rpm (engine build and dyno sheets provided). Rolling stock: BRM knockoffs fitted with Goodyear Eagle GTP235/60R15 front (new condition), GTP295/50R15 rear (also new condition). In the cockpit: full premium leather upholstery, correct Smiths Instruments gauges, upgraded wool carpeting with floormats, upgraded factory A/C, Moto-Lita original steering wheel w/ GT40 center cap, adjustable seat tracks, halon fire extinguisher, and the "Gurney Bubble." Options and extras: includes every CAV option available plus oil cooler, mesh grilles, pushbutton starter, dash plaques, original-style Sebring mirrors, custom chroming, Willan's seatbelts, remote battery lugs, custom engine heat shielding, Dynamat soundproofing and full car cover (vehicle specification sheets also available). Car completed and extensive tune-up by HRE Motors in April 2005 which also included new front balljoints, complete suspension powder coating and four wheel alignment (total outlay of $4,400). Car is titled as a 1966 CAV GT in New Jersey and is stored in a temperature-controlled garage and is in better-than-new condition. $75,900 obo. Contact Mike Morganstein at (201) 574-4500 weekdays EST, or email: MMorganstein@DrivePrestige.com http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40%27s...ior-nj-BIG.jpg
Prestige BMW Preferred Pre-Owned
Mahwah, New Jersey
5 December

Last edited by JWheaton; 01-02-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Cav Gt40 For Sale

Jamie- Thanks for your thoughts on the RHD versus LHD drive issue. I would say about 75% feel that LHD is the way to go. Unless you plan to never sell the car (or move to the UK) RHD may be the "kiss of death".

Regarding that CAV at the Bimmer Store; yes, I was all over that. Unfortunately it has been sold and the dealer has not yey taken it off of Cobra Country's site.

Thanks for the tip and the opinions--

Dandy Don
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

LHD. I did not consider a RHD car when I was looking and I think most feel that way. Keep your eye out for a nice CAV,they do come up occasionally. The new SPF is also very nice and with the new price increase the CAV prices will follow. chuck
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP

My first ERAGT2038 was left hand drive. The one in the works now, ERAGT2077 is right hand drive. Why? Because I can. Having driven both, there is really not much difference in terms of the physical layout (shifter on right in both cars etc.) and due to the fact that the driver's seat is accorded slightly more room, you sit essentially almost in the middle of the car anyway.

...and but for a couple of MKIIIs all of the original cars were right hand drive.

There may indeed be a smaller market for right hand drive cars in the US, but there is still a market.

Jim

PS: here are some pictures of ERAGT2038 http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/holden/index.htm

Last edited by Jim Holden; 01-04-2007 at 02:19 PM..
Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C

Original 40's were RHD. Why do anything else?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Era Gt4o #2038

Jim- You have a P.M.

Regards-Dandy Don
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: RCR GT40 #45

Dandy-Don - I Know this thread is a little old but I thought I would throw my $.02 worth in anyways..

I've driven RHD vehicles and they always felt strange - gear-shift primarily although I know you can put the gear-shift on driver's right sill. The other thing is this - RHD cars are meant to be driven on the left side of the road where the driver is positioned next to the centerline of the road. Put that RHD car on the right side of the road and you're at a distinct disadvantage. Coupling that with the poor general rearward visibility of the GT40 and you've really stacked the deck against you.

I will be ordering a GT40 kit soon and it will be LHD for the reasons I stated above. Originality be darned - if I'm not comfortable driving it I'm not having fun. If I'm not having fun - why bother with it at all..
Making it RHD to make it "more correct" is a poor reason to do it in my opinion - it's still a replica and all the originality in your creation will not change that..

Do what works for you..
RCR40 #45 http://www.GT-Forty.com
Old 03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby alum 468 block

Driving RHD is obviously something that is natural to me having done so for most of my 35 yrs. on the road.

But after driving the GT40 in America I found it very easy to adapt to. The RHD GT40 has the gear lever on the right anyway so guess it was again natural to me.

Regardless the gear lever will stay in the right hand use situation. The only concern is overtaking on narrow roads as you will need to move well over to the left to see past bigger vehicles.

The biggest problem I found driving LHD was remembering how to do right and left turn hand turns - not to mention driving through carparks...

You find that you quickly adapt to the centre of lane and on the track one you hit the strips a few times you soon learn the line up point on the car.

I think that either left or right hand drive would be no problem there. It all depends on the way you want the car to look - period detail.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-04-2007, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Having driven a left-hand drive car here in Japan I can tell you that being set up opposite everyone else has its difficulties. Parking lots and toll booths are a pain unless you have a passenger with you. The sightlines for corners, road mirrors, and traffic markings are less than perfect. And my brain used to ocassionally think it was back in North America and try to drive on the right (wrong!) side of the road. Since getting a RHD car I've had none of those problems.

Just a little something to think about,
Rob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: