28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Default Engine specs for an RCR GT 40

Need some advice specing an engine.

Awaiting the arrival of my RCR GT 40 is a good time to sort out the engine details. With no experience in building an engine, some tips and guidance would be welcome. I don’t want to make any costly blunders. The GT will be set up for decent street and highway use, not racing, so something in the 350horsepower range is plenty with a modest cam and good reliability.

A. For the basic engine my current preference is for a crate engine from Ford. I know Ford is replacing their current line of crate engines with the new “Boss” engines in the current quarter, but I suspect they will be mechanically similar to the existing lineup. Current options are:

1. M-6007-XE3M. Rated at 345 HP and 305 ft/lbs. Uses a X303-GT4 head. Compression 9.0 : 1. Cost is around $3500. But would consider as an option;

2. M-6007-Z50E. Rated at 360 HP and 330 ft/lbs. Compression is 9.0:1. More significantly, uses a Z304A high flow head and some better components. The thought would be that if we wanted to upgrade to Weber carbs or a more aggressive cam, this might be a better platform. And a couple of grand more money.

B. Plan to use an Edelbrock Dual Plane “Performer RPM” intake manifold. Ford #M-9424-E302.

C. Oil pan, Canton T Style, 7 quart, 15-610. What type of windage tray should one use, louvered or screen type? Give our modest set up the 9 quart pan would seem to be over kill.

D. Short water pump: Ford #M-8501-E351S. Are there any additional components that need to be used in conjunction with this water pump, or is it just a straight swap?

E. MSD Ignition, 6AL

F. MSD Distributor, Street Pro Billet (includes vacuum advance)

G. Holley 670 CFM, electric choke, Street Avenger carburator

H. Plan to use an Audi transmission and Kennedy Engineered Products transmission adaptor plate, clutch kit and starter.

I. Electric fuel pumps, likely Holley “Red” or Mallory Comp-110, or similar.

Now some more questions:

1. Alternator. Plan to use a GM style “one wire” unit. Will it fit? What about a support bracket?

2. Pulleys. With the short water pump, are special pulleys required? What is a good source?

3. Are there any other issues which need to be addressed for the basic engine set up?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Chuck
Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

My opnion on engine, go for the more horsepower. Either one is streetable and should work well but you'll be wanting more HP sooner or later.
The short pump is something I'm interested in also but I don't much about it. I think it requires a special pulley set but beyond that, I'm not sure. Might check with March for pulleys.
Larry
Old 01-20-2007, 04:00 AM
CC Member
See My Journal Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006
I have in the past contributed to CC

Send a message via AIM to mj_duell

What transaxle are you using? If you have an Audi box, even with Quife or 944 parts, you should keep the horsepower down under 375. You will need at least a G50 if you add more. I believe M-6007-Z50E is your best bet. 360 should be plenty for the street, but you may find yourself wanting more later. Have you talked to Fran about which engine and parts would be good to use?

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40

I would avoud the street avenger carb in favor of a 4150 DP or Deamon. The avenger is not a performance carb
Old 01-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006

He has and I gave him my .02c....I mentioned the transaxle certainly being the deciding factor